MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Fakebooks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't want to use bookmarks with fakebooks because there's no alphabet jump. So i started assigning page numbers and titles to each song. Extremely time consuming. I happened upon a freeware program called PDF Shaper, which allows you to, among other things, separate PDFs with multiple pages into individual ones. I did this on my computer, renamed each file with the correct song title, and then batch imported them into my tablet. Still a pain, but much faster than how I was doing it originally. I was able to do a whole book in about 3 hours, (and I type with 2 fingers!). I had the hard copy book open beside me to know which title came next, and double-clicked a file once in a while to be sure I was still on track. The only other thing is songs with multiple pages, but you can also use PDF Shaper to merge multiple pages into one PDF. It's a lot of work, but once you get in a groove it goes pretty quickly.
(12-10-2013, 12:13 PM)basgitarr Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't want to use bookmarks with fakebooks because there's no alphabet jump. So i started assigning page numbers and titles to each song. Extremely time consuming. I happened upon a freeware program called PDF Shaper, which allows you to, among other things, separate PDFs with multiple pages into individual ones. I did this on my computer, renamed each file with the correct song title, and then batch imported them into my tablet. Still a pain, but much faster than how I was doing it originally. I was able to do a whole book in about 3 hours, (and I type with 2 fingers!). I had the hard copy book open beside me to know which title came next, and double-clicked a file once in a while to be sure I was still on track. The only other thing is songs with multiple pages, but you can also use PDF Shaper to merge multiple pages into one PDF. It's a lot of work, but once you get in a groove it goes pretty quickly.

I just checked out PDF Shaper - it looks like a very nice tool. I should mention that I tried to use it to split one of my PDF purchases, which is protected, into separate songs, and it threw an error - but I wasn't expecting it to be able to do that. I was able to export the pages as graphics files though.
(12-11-2013, 03:38 AM)Snard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2013, 12:13 PM)basgitarr Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't want to use bookmarks with fakebooks because there's no alphabet jump. So i started assigning page numbers and titles to each song. Extremely time consuming. I happened upon a freeware program called PDF Shaper, which allows you to, among other things, separate PDFs with multiple pages into individual ones. I did this on my computer, renamed each file with the correct song title, and then batch imported them into my tablet. Still a pain, but much faster than how I was doing it originally. I was able to do a whole book in about 3 hours, (and I type with 2 fingers!). I had the hard copy book open beside me to know which title came next, and double-clicked a file once in a while to be sure I was still on track. The only other thing is songs with multiple pages, but you can also use PDF Shaper to merge multiple pages into one PDF. It's a lot of work, but once you get in a groove it goes pretty quickly.

I just checked out PDF Shaper - it looks like a very nice tool. I should mention that I tried to use it to split one of my PDF purchases, which is protected, into separate songs, and it threw an error - but I wasn't expecting it to be able to do that. I was able to export the pages as graphics files though.

hi guys is there a simiolaar book to the i gig book, which is only on apple, for the android system?
PDFsam (pdf split and merge) is another very useful bit of software when you are messing with pdf fakebooks.

I might try PDF shaper though, to see if the gui is better.
While we are talking about tools for PDF files, I'd like to mention Boxoft PDF Split.

Once you have a large PDF file bookmarked, this software will split it into separate sections (at each bookmark). I find it extremely useful for all sorts of purposes. For example, a big fakebook can be split into individual charts and you can then load only those needed into MS.
In a similar vein, I'd would recommend pdfescape http://www.pdfescape.com/open/
for annotating of pdf files via a browser.
For those who, like me, use Macs instead of Windows, there's a very simple way to split large multi-page PDFs into single page files. No software to install, just follow the steps on this website, under "Option 2: Use Automator to Split Pages": http://www.documentsnap.com/how-to-split...g-mac-osx/

Once you do that, you'll end up with some multi page charts that need to be recombined. Here's a similar method for recombining them: http://www.documentsnap.com/how-to-combi...a-service/

Now, if I only had a text file with the book's titles and page numbers, I could automate the whole process.
(01-31-2014, 09:00 AM)thugdrummer Wrote: [ -> ]Now, if I only had a text file with the book's titles and page numbers, I could automate the whole process.

Smile

Not something I need but, if I did, I think I'd experiment with scanning the index page/s and using OCR technology to convert the scan to a text file.
(01-31-2014, 09:07 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2014, 09:00 AM)thugdrummer Wrote: [ -> ]Now, if I only had a text file with the book's titles and page numbers, I could automate the whole process.

Smile

Not something I need but, if I did, I think I'd experiment with scanning the index page/s and using OCR technology to convert the scan to a text file.

Well I tried several OCR scanners and none were able to scan the index pages accurately enough.

However I did discover that Berkeley has all the fake books online (http://library.berklee.edu/leadsheet/book), with an ordered list of songs with artist names for each book. Copy & paste that to a text file, and its much less editing to just add page numbers. The split PDF files are named booktitle-pageXXX.pdf. So I can write a shell script to match page numbers, rename the files w/ song titles, put them in folders by artist, all automatically.

Definitely enjoying the MS app btw. Used it for the 1st time on a gig tonight, which just ended an hour ago. The only downside is worrying about the bassist knocking my tablet off my music stand. Might need to invest in a clamp.
Use a bungee.
I found a great product for breaking up pdfs into separate files. It's called 
ilovepdfs. There is a free version, I subscribed to the paid version which is $7 per month and be canceled at any time.
Split 300 page book in under an hour.