MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Reset/ start over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a new user I am totally confused about the storage/backup/restore options.

I inserted a micro sd and thought I was backing up 9 songs to it. After reopening MS at a later time only 3 songs showed up in the library. So I attempted to do a restore but got lost on the "path".

Is there a "reset" to start over, wipe away anything I might have inadvertently changed, and get back to "brand new"?

I have so few songs that it will not be a problem to start over. I have since removed the micro sd card.

Thanks
I was confused setting this up the first time too. I think you do not want to store the MS file (or pdfs) on an external card. I guess you want to use main storage area in the tablet (the manual confused me on this issue).

Once you do that, that you just want to do a batch import with all your songs (pdf's or image files) into MS. You could do it via the Companion.

If you don't have the Companion set up yet, just copy and past the songs somewhere else in the tablets main memory area and then do a batch import into MS from there.

Here is an important tip that is not stressed enough. If you create a back up on on the tablet, do NOT put it in the MS folder (or a subfolder within that). I think I created a folder in the "Android" folder in my tablet, far removed from where the MS file is (Other wise if you have to reinstall MS you will lose the back up file).

Hopefully this is all correct (and useful).
Thanks for the reply.

I have Companion set up already and all 9 songs show up in it but as I said, only 3 in the tablet library.

What I am looking for is the "default folder". When I want to backup up or restore, MS asks for a folder. Heck, I don't know. I don't like the fact that I have to decide. I want it to be automatic.

Before I started messing things up, a "path" did come up I guess as a default, but it doesn't come up anymore.

By the way, even though I am confused, I love MobileSheets.
On your tablet, select Settings>Applications>Manage applications, scroll to find MS and tap on it.
A screen will pop up. Select "Force stop" to stop MS if it's running, ignore the warning about it maybe causing a problem.
Then select "Clear data", which should also clear the cache.

When you relaunch MS, it should be as if it's a new installation, therefore, it may require you to go online to authenticate the license, assuming you're using the full version.
(01-20-2014, 06:26 AM)Marshland Wrote: [ -> ]On your tablet, select Settings>Applications>Manage applications, scroll to find MS and tap on it.
A screen will pop up. Select "Force stop" to stop MS if it's running, ignore the warning about it maybe causing a problem.
Then select "Clear data", which should also clear the cache.

When you relaunch MS, it should be as if it's a new installation, therefore, it may require you to go online to authenticate the license, assuming you're using the full version.

Thanks for the instructions which I will file away. As a new user I made a simple mistake - instead of pressing "Songs" I had selected "Recent". So all my songs were there after all.
The library backup asks for a folder to store the file, because trying to guess what folder you would want it in is not really appropriate. I am not aware of a standard user directory that I would expect to exist on every tablet. I could guess and maybe use something like /sdcard/downloads, but this would just be a starting point for most people anyways. The backup file is going to be quite large if you have hundreds of songs (which most users do), so you'll want to know where you are storing it as it will eat up a lot of storage space if you leave it on the tablet (especially if you keep multiple backups).

The restore likewise asks for what backup file you want to use. Guessing what backup file to use is even more inappropriate, as you may have many different backup files on your device.

The default storage location is /sdcard/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files. This is a typical path for what is known as an application external storage directory. The internal storage is completely hidden from everything but the app, and is stored at /sdcard/data/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files. This is where the database file is stored by default. A removable SD card is actually not accessible through the Android framework, which is why I have to explicitly ask users if they want to add a path to a removable SD card.

The Android OS provides a lot more options for storage, but with it comes some complexity. One way to avoid some of this is to let MobileSheets just handle the storage of files, and handle backup/restores on your PC through the companion app. I'm trying to simplify this even further with the next version.

To answer the original question, clearing everything can be accomplished by doing what Marshland suggested, or by using the Options->Advanced->Clear Library feature.

Mike
(01-21-2014, 08:28 AM)Zuberman Wrote: [ -> ]The library backup asks for a folder to store the file, because trying to guess what folder you would want it in is not really appropriate. I am not aware of a standard user directory that I would expect to exist on every tablet. I could guess and maybe use something like /sdcard/downloads, but this would just be a starting point for most people anyways. The backup file is going to be quite large if you have hundreds of songs (which most users do), so you'll want to know where you are storing it as it will eat up a lot of storage space if you leave it on the tablet (especially if you keep multiple backups).

The restore likewise asks for what backup file you want to use. Guessing what backup file to use is even more inappropriate, as you may have many different backup files on your device.

The default storage location is /sdcard/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files. This is a typical path for what is known as an application external storage directory. The internal storage is completely hidden from everything but the app, and is stored at /sdcard/data/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files. This is where the database file is stored by default. A removable SD card is actually not accessible through the Android framework, which is why I have to explicitly ask users if they want to add a path to a removable SD card.

The Android OS provides a lot more options for storage, but with it comes some complexity. One way to avoid some of this is to let MobileSheets just handle the storage of files, and handle backup/restores on your PC through the companion app. I'm trying to simplify this even further with the next version.

To answer the original question, clearing everything can be accomplished by doing what Marshland suggested, or by using the Options->Advanced->Clear Library feature.

Mike

Thank you. I like the idea of using Companion for backup and restore and it is probably what I will do.
Although I am a new user and haven't gotten to know all the features yet I am really getting my money's worth.
I back up on the tablet and on the Companion. Backing up on the tablet is pretty painless. I just picked a location in /sdcard/Android/[NAME OF FILE].

That way I know it won't be deleted if I have to reinstall MS (learned that one the hard way). (But good to also back up to Companion as well.)

(01-22-2014, 12:01 AM)hgir Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2014, 08:28 AM)Zuberman Wrote: [ -> ]The library backup asks for a folder to store the file, because trying to guess what folder you would want it in is not really appropriate. I am not aware of a standard user directory that I would expect to exist on every tablet. I could guess and maybe use something like /sdcard/downloads, but this would just be a starting point for most people anyways. The backup file is going to be quite large if you have hundreds of songs (which most users do), so you'll want to know where you are storing it as it will eat up a lot of storage space if you leave it on the tablet (especially if you keep multiple backups).

Mike

Thank you. I like the idea of using Companion for backup and restore and it is probably what I will do.
Although I am a new user and haven't gotten to know all the features yet I am really getting my money's worth.