MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Could not write to external sd card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

marcus.roeckrath

Hi,

after upgrading my Samsung Note 10.1 to Android Kitkat (4.4.2) MobileSheet is not able to store data f. e. Backup or Database to the external sd card (/mnt/extSdCard resp. /storage/extSdCard).

This was no problem before (Android JellyBean 4.1.2).

I heard that a new access mechanism was introduced in Android 4.4.2 and app which wants to write to the external SdCard have to be modified.

Marcus
Been there, done that. Check out this thread - http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...59#pid2159
I just wanted to let everyone know that with KitKat, there is a way for apps to write to the external SD card, but here is the catch: they cannot write to any folder. Instead, they can only write to their own application folder. For example, if the path to the external sd card is /extSdCard, then MobileSheets would only be able to write to a folder such as /extSdCard/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files. Google did this so that when you uninstall MobileSheets, it will automatically delete that folder off the external SD card (whether you actually want that to happen or not). They are doing this in an attempt to make things more secure so that apps cannot just modify and write files anywhere they choose (which is probably a good thing).

So, knowing that, I've added something in the next update that should help. When you go to select the MobileSheets storage location, there is a little SD card button on the dialog. If you tap this, MobileSheets will attempt to locate the external SD card, and create a path on the SD card that it can write to. There is now a proper error message if you select a folder that MobileSheets can't write to. I'll try to make this all as simple as I can...

Mike