MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Release of v5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As we all know, v5 is nearing release and there has been some discussion about the inability to provide a fall-back to an earlier version in the event of something going wrong - a potential major problem for anyone using MS professionally (or semi-professionally). My view is that this is a dangerous position to be in, as beta testing is never 100% proof positive.

The reason for this is tied in with the way app releases work - it's nothing to do with Mike, he is constrained by the system. The only way to overcome the problem is to release the upgrade as a 'new' version and make a charge for it.

Therein lies the problem. Mike has already promised a free upgrade to some users, who have then bought the product on that basis.

It's my belief that Mike has invested an awful lot of time and effort into the v5 version - it would seem to be a major re-write, not a simple upgrade - and he should be rewarded for all that effort.

I'm producing this poll to try and gain the views of other MS users, as it might help Mike to know which way to jump Wink .
For people who were promised a free upgrade, maybe he can arrange for a way to get it without payment (or give a credit).

Maybe for everyone else, it has to be purchased as a new product?

I think most software gives a credit from people upgrading from an earlier version. But, I think the price Mike's price is so reasonably that this might not apply to this situation. (I am not sure what price is being considered, but, from what I recall, I think the current price is modest).

(09-16-2014, 02:45 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: [ -> ]As we all know, v5 is nearing release and there has been some discussion about the inability to provide a fall-back to an earlier version in the event of something going wrong - a potential major problem for anyone using MS professionally (or semi-professionally). My view is that this is a dangerous position to be in, as beta testing is never 100% proof positive.

The reason for this is tied in with the way app releases work - it's nothing to do with Mike, he is constrained by the system. The only way to overcome the problem is to release the upgrade as a 'new' version and make a charge for it.

Therein lies the problem. Mike has already promised a free upgrade to some users, who have then bought the product on that basis.

It's my belief that Mike has invested an awful lot of time and effort into the v5 version - it would seem to be a major re-write, not a simple upgrade - and he should be rewarded for all that effort.

I'm producing this poll to try and gain the views of other MS users, as it might help Mike to know which way to jump Wink .
To be honest, I'm not sure this will be of any help. Sample size is too limited, skewed to forum users only and too late in the process. My problem is I agree with each of the 3 survey positions and have no real 'best' choice. I feel this is a tough choice Mike is going to have to resolve himself and some of us, as users, are going to be unhappy and have to make our own decisions. I suggested a possible solution in another thread; the curent version as free/low cost and the new version as pro/upgrade with a limited time upgrade for current, not recent, users. Any resolution, except completely free, unlimited, upgrades, will cause unhappiness for those users not monitoring this forum and not watching the download sites, not getting the word.
I am hearing two messages in this thread: (1) Mike should receive some sort of remuneration for his efforts on v5, since it's a significant upgrade, and (2) users should have the ability to keep running v4 while they check out the new features in v5, in the event that there are problems with the new release. Making v5 a separate paid update would address both of these issues, but #2 is mainly an issue because of the way Android handles updates: there is no user-friendly way to 'roll back' to a previous version once an update is released, as Graeme has mentioned.

However, I believe that Mike has previously stated that he intends to run a "closed" beta with a separate installer, to protect users' v4 environments and allow bugs to be ironed out before the software is released to a wider audience. I have been involved in several other software beta projects and I fully understand the dangers involved, and I would be very hesitant to rely on a beta build in a live performance environment.

It's probably best if we let Mike answer the question though Smile
Once you announce a free upgrade you can't change your mind. You can however announce the future pricing now to generate more sales now. A significant increase once released will pay off for Mike if the new version is thoroughly tested. I have bought the program twice, once on Amazon then on play to get timely updates. It is a great program but needs in depth testing before release.

The above will generate revenue and allow Mike to honor his commitment for a free upgrade. Take your time and get it right.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
Can the price of an app be changed after it has been offered for sale on the sites being used? If it can, the v. 5 could be offered at a discounted price for a set time then raised to it's retail, or in reverse, retail price with a time constrained 'sale'.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do have complete control over the pricing. One thing I can do that might appease most people would be to release version 5.0 as MobileSheetsPro and sell it for $3.99 for a month. Any existing users could then get this new version discounted, it will drive up interest for awhile, and it would allow people to run two versions side by side. I'm considering pricing the new version somewhere around $10-12, so this would be in essence allowing people to get the new version as if they were paying for the upgrade. Just one more idea to throw into the pile. I highly doubt I'm going to be able to please everyone no matter what I do. I just wish I could somehow get feedback from a larger sample size of my user base.

Mike
That sounds good to me Mike.
If that works for you, that sounds good to me. (Frankly, I would have been fine with the $12 price for the new version anyway).

I hope everything goes great!

Jeff
What if you put out a minor upgrade to v4 that had a popup, that described [whatever] what you plan/need? It would probably be most effective in 2 places, one when the download occurred and when the user opened v4 of MS. I wouldn't do this until the timing for the release date of v5 was set and the popup should die on the appropriate date.

(09-17-2014, 04:15 PM)Zuberman Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do have complete control over the pricing. One thing I can do that might appease most people would be to release version 5.0 as MobileSheetsPro and sell it for $3.99 for a month. Any existing users could then get this new version discounted, it will drive up interest for awhile, and it would allow people to run two versions side by side. I'm considering pricing the new version somewhere around $10-12, so this would be in essence allowing people to get the new version as if they were paying for the upgrade. Just one more idea to throw into the pile. I highly doubt I'm going to be able to please everyone no matter what I do. I just wish I could somehow get feedback from a larger sample size of my user base.

Mike
I would gladly pay 12 dollars or more for the new version and in the same time keep the old one on my tablet. I think most of the users agree.
Having sold many copies of MS by showing it to fellow musicians I suspect that charging a monthly fee would really slow down momentum. When I show MS or iReal Pro they frequently purchase on the spot. A monthly fee imho would keep many from using your product. I personally don't like the monthly fee system. I spend a lot on music software and frequently upgrade but it is my choice.

You have a great product that justifies a premium price. Charge a premium price and possibly charge for upgrades and or premium features.

Many musician friends are struggling to survive financially. I don't think a fee based system will work for MS.

Your MS Pro could work as long as it is voluntary. Pro users could get unlimited free upgrades while others would pay for the version 5.5 upgrade.

Good luck!

Meant to say that I would also gladly pay for the next version and keep then old one functional during transition. If you do go to a fee based system you could pull a Netflex and allow special options for existing customers (avoid monthly fees).

Great idea about having a popup Skip - I'm definitely going to need to make sure people are aware of what's happening and why the switch is occurring.

gdpresley - I really hate the idea of a subscription based model, so I'm definitely not going that direction with MobileSheets. I only suggested it to see the reaction, and it's exactly what I thought it would be Smile

I think right now releasing the update at a discounted price for a month or so is my favorite option (assuming the majority of people want to be able to run both side by side).

Thanks everyone,
Mike
Everyone here is looking at MS from the viewpoint of MS being a music reading app, which it is, but I think a re-evaluation is in order. Basically MS is a program that organizes/catalogs and displays pdf and jpg files along with some audio capabilities, designed specifically for musicians and wannabe's. The program can catalog and display any pdf or jpg in any order, by groups/setlists, or singly. These capabilities can also be used for:
1 - Auto scrolling picture frames, possibly with audio comments, eg., family photo's, vacations, etc.
2 - Presentations, with a mix of pdf's and jpg's and, possibly, audio.
3 - Instruction manuals with diagrams, possibly, audio.
4 - Recipe's.
5 - Anything that uses cataloging and displaying.
With this as a basis, v4 could be frozen, bug fixes only, and presented to other markets. Folks interested in improvements/upgrading could be pointed to MS2.
This is a re-purposing of work that Mike knows and maybe another income source. I had much more in my head when I woke up at 0400 this am, this is just an outline, but I'm not that good at expressing them in detail. Besides, why dump a good program that is perfectly capable of being an entry level app?
There are always negatives, one is keeping up with an old program, another is v4 must have a rock solid interaction with external storage and compatibility/conversion with the v5 database [for upgrading to v5], probably others.
Edit: Pushed as designed as a music reader, v4, with capabilities/uses in other fields? Edit the keyword search criteria?
I'm only one user, but I will happily pay $10 to have a version that displays two pages side by side on my HP 21" tablet. Personally, I'm not bothered about getting a lower upgrade price as a previous purchaser if it makes life simpler for us all to just buy a separate MusicSheets Pro. Can't wait to see the full potential of two sheets side by side and almost full A4 size!
Vintage Mark
Pages: 1 2 3