MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Connection problems with Nexus 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Nexus 7 tablet and have just purchased the Mobile Sheets App. I cannot get the tablet and the Mobile Sheets Companion to connect at all. I have tried all the suggestions (wifi off and on, usb cable, etc.) to no avail. Any suggestions from anyone that is using a Nexus 7 tablet on the connection issue.
The first thing I tell every user is to check the Windows Firewall settings. For reference, go to Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Allow a program or feature through windows firewall->MobileSheetsCompanion. Check the boxes for both "Home/Work (private)" as well as "Public". If you have an anti-virus program running, it most likely has a firewall built-in, so you will need to either disable the firewall, or disable the anti-virus program. If it still doesn't work after that, there are other options that can be tried, so let me know.

Mike
(01-16-2015, 07:07 PM)Zuberman Wrote: [ -> ]The first thing I tell every user is to check the Windows Firewall settings. For reference, go to Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Allow a program or feature through windows firewall->MobileSheetsCompanion. Check the boxes for both "Home/Work (private)" as well as "Public". If you have an anti-virus program running, it most likely has a firewall built-in, so you will need to either disable the firewall, or disable the anti-virus program. If it still doesn't work after that, there are other options that can be tried, so let me know.

Mike

Thanks Mike for getting back to me. I tried disconnecting both the Microsoft firewall and the Norton firewall but that didn't help with the connection. I have installed the Nexus 7 driver and it is up to date and allowed USB debugging enabled as requested by a prompt. I have tried both USB connection and wifi but neither will connect. One message I got was the SocketConnector.SendRequest for Version (Boo lean report problem) but I didn't understand how to deal with that. Another message was the TCP/IP connection that connect the tablet to the PC was not right, but again I didn't know how to deal with that. I am in a muddle and have spent way to much time on trying to connect to the Mobile Sheets Companion but I really want it to work as loading and arranging songs would be so much easier. Any thoughts to help me get there.
Bill
I'm sorry it's been such a hassle Bill. It sometimes helps to reboot your router. The next thing I would like you to try is a manual wifi connection. In the companion app, under the connection menu, is an option for the direct wifi connection. You will need to make sure both the companion app and tablet are set to connect over wifi, and then enter the IP address in the companion that is showing up on the tablet screen (the sync screen). Let me know how the direct connection goes.

On a side note, you are not able to even see the pop up in the companion app when the tablet is in the sync mode right?

Mike
Good Morning Mike, I have tried all the above (manual wifi) still no luck. Have also tried the USB cable but the computer (Companion) does not recognize the USB hookup even after running through all the suggestions given to correct the problem. I noticed another thread that said the app did not work on the Nexus 7 when the operating system was upgraded. I do have a newer updated model. Perhaps that is the problem! Frustrated I am. Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate the help.
I'm in the process of updating the companion app right now. Once I'm done, I'll try testing with my Nexus 7 to see if there are any issues.

Mike
Thanks, I will await your comments.
All is well.  Connection is going fine.  I resolved the problem using your suggestions and realizing one critical error on my part.  We have Xfinity comcast for our carrier but we have a security part of the network  and a non-security Xfinity connection.  The computer I was using automatically loads on to the non-secure connection but the Mobile Sheets app wanted to be on a secure connection.  As soon as I switched to the secure site, the Mobile Sheets loaded right up.
Thanks for all you help.