MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Option to Trigger Message and Require "OK" Press to Change Songs in Setlist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, Mike:

I may be the only one who would like this (but, I think some of my other obscure requests did get a following when implemented).

Here is my issue and potential solution:

In a set list I have one or two songs where I "cheat" and transpose on my keyboard (I know the song and have a chart in a particular key and do not want to create a new chart or re-learn it in another key).

But, when I am playing in a gig, too often I forget to correct the transpose function on my (piano) keyboard.  So, I sometimes start the next song in the wrong key!  Doh!

So my request is this: That within a particular song in a set list, a user can set it so it up so it will not leave that song without an clicking an "ok" prompt.

So, it would work like this.  I set up a song in a set list so, when I try to get out to the song I have it set up to ask "did you you correct transpose?"  [You can put whatever comment or question you want here].

Then it would provide a prompt "are you sure you want to leave the song?" If so, click okay.  And by hitting "ok"  (after loudly proclaiming, "thank God Mobilesheet reminded me to  correct the transpose function on my keyboard!"), I can get out of the song (and go to the next song in the set list).

I can imagine this being helpful in different context while performing a set.  Perhaps a reminder to change some other setting for the next song, change into a new outfit, bring out the fog machine, etc.)

Anyway, I don't really expect you to spend time on this, but I figured I would "throw it out there".

Thanks again for an amazing piece of software ! (Which I use, and rely on, pretty much every day).

Jeff
Would not the existing 'notes' feature give you what you want? They can be set up to display automatically when a chart is opened - and then fade away after a period, if you want that. I use this quite a lot to remind me to do something, you could just make a not to remind you to check the transpose button (or to use it).
I considered that as well, but the point of OP is that he wants to display something when going to the next song. I understand the case where you make temporary changes for one song (e.g., effect settings) that need to be undone for the next song. If you have ample time to prepare the setlist you can add such a note to the next song but otherwise it would be better to attach it to the song in question.

I use my effects pedal with presets, and all (temporary) modifications are lost when selecting another preset. Unless I store the modifications, of course. But I once forgot to remove the capo from my guitar Sad .
If not with the notes function I'd suggest to simply make a placeholder PDF with "transpose Keyboard" or something and put it as next item in the setlist if such a reminder is needed. Or you could put an annotation at the end of the song with a reminder.

Personally I don't think this warrants to program a new option.
(08-09-2016, 04:19 PM)sciurius Wrote: [ -> ]I considered that as well, but the point of OP is that he wants to display something when going to the next song. I understand the case where you make temporary changes for one song (e.g., effect settings) that need to be undone for the next song. If you have ample time to prepare the setlist you can add such a note to the next song but otherwise it would be better to attach it to the song in question.

I use my effects pedal with presets, and all (temporary) modifications are lost when selecting another preset. Unless I store the modifications, of course. But I once forgot to remove the capo from my guitar Sad .

Yep, I have a note at the end of the song.  But, I have ignored it.

Yes, another option would be a placeholder song that reads:  CHANGE TRANSPOSE.  But, i guess I would prefer not to add another "fake" song to the set list.  Also, I like the idea that my suggestion does not let me move to the next song unless I specifically click "ok".  But maybe I will try the placeholder idea.

I will also look into the notes function for the following song. All good ideas.

But, obviously this is frill.  Mike can decide whether it has enough potential benefit broadly to make it worthwhile (taking into account the difficulty/time of coding it).  

Jeff
I think the main point is, there are several different options that enable you to achieve what you want without further complicating the program - a complication that I doubt would be required or used by many.

Here's anther idea for you, based on what has gone before and assuming you use a pedal to turn pages.

Make up a pdf page with whatever comments you want on it. Attach it to the end of the chart the comments refer to. In Settings, check 'Prevent Pedal From Changing Songs'. Now, you get to the last page (the one with your comments on) but can only move to the next chart by physically tapping the screen.

No placeholders and your comments are permanently attached to the chart involved.
(08-09-2016, 10:45 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: [ -> ]I think the main point is, there are several different options that enable you to achieve what you want without further complicating the program - a complication that I doubt would be required or used by many.  

Here's anther idea for you, based on what has gone before and assuming you use a pedal to turn pages.  

Make up a pdf page with whatever comments you want on it.  Attach it to the end of the chart the comments refer to.  In Settings, check 'Prevent Pedal From Changing Songs'.  Now, you get to the last page (the one with your comments on) but can only move to the next chart by physically tapping the screen.

No placeholders and your comments are permanently attached to the chart involved.

Fair enough.  Yes, that is a good suggestion.

Jeff