MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Display key at top of song
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if anyone else likes to display the key of a song in the body of the song? Sometimes it comes in handy, I think. The only way I have found to do this is to enter the key manually. Are there other options to do this?
I guess it depends a lot on how you are getting your music into MobileSheets.

You have probably noticed there is/are metadata fields for music key that can be chosen for each song, but that information doesn't show up when you are working through a setlist or already have the song displayed. It does allow you to search and select songs by key, though.
I think the key of the song would need to be included in the file of the music for it to show up when you have the music on-screen.

Now that you mention it, though, I wish I had included the key in the titles of my .pdf files when I imported them into MobileSheets, so I would know which harmonica I should pull out...if I wanted to pull one out. Well, there's only a few hundred, so it won't be too hard to go back and add that.
If you entered the key in the key field during the edit phase you can go to the global settings>library settings>song title formatting>caption format> select keys and it will display the key as a sub-title under the song name. Then go to the global settings>library settings>tab order and put keys in the left column. This puts the keys tab at the top of the library with the songs/ recent/etc.

To include it in the body, if I understand you, you probably need to do that before making the pdf/jpg. Other than that, the only way I know of is to include it as part of the title when making the edit and [global settings>display settings>] always show title bar.
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I use chordpro files almost exclusively, I can display the key by putting it in brackets. That will require editing every file and I was just hoping there was an easier way to accomplish what I want.
Will global settings>text file settings>detect key by help?
(09-27-2016, 12:12 PM)LDĀ Jackson Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the suggestions. Since I use chordpro files almost exclusively, I can display the key by putting it in brackets. That will require editing every file and I was just hoping there was an easier way to accomplish what I want.

The upcoming new version of ChordPro includes the possibility to use metadata in comments. For example.
Code:
{title: The House of the Self Rising Sun}
{key: C}
{comment: Warning! This song is in the key of %{key}.}

This would be a nice feature to add to MSPro as well.
(09-27-2016, 09:44 AM)LDĀ Jackson Wrote: [ -> ]The only way I have found to do this is to enter the key manually.

By implication, it would seem that you are looking for a means of auomatically detecting the key - this is not possible!

You already have suggestions about how you might display the key, but whatever method you use (personally, I include it in the title, e.g. "Fly Me To The Moon - Eb") you are going to have to do it manually.