MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Smart Button Song Picker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi Mike,

I wanted to use the new smart button feature with the option to open another song.

That's one rare occasion where one of your new features is barely usable (at least for me). I'm talking about the song picking window for choosing the file for the smart button.

You know I have a big library with thousands of songs (as have a lot of other users). If the songpicker doesn't get a fliter, search or letterbar option I have literally to scroll minutes to get to a song in the second part of the alphabet.

Also if I have songs with the the same title (of which I have many) and I can't see the metadata information I can't know which song of several versions I want to choose.

Much better would be if the picking could be done somehow by changing to the normal song library and pick from there.
If that's not possible, maybe you can make the song ID somewhere visible (maybe in the metadata tab) and just let us pick a song by this ID in the smart button song picker.
That's why the "one file per song" part of my library has alfabetical subdirectories
\\com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro\files\Songs\A\ ... ...\Z\
I do it like that from the beginning because I access my files every now and then using other tools. If the file list is too long other programs have similar problems.
Not easy to reorganise later, I know. Sorry if this info might not be very helpful in your case.
You haven't' tried it yet I guess?

Indeed I don't like the single file approach and prefer collected pdfs.

But the songpicker doesn't use files but titles from the db so you have the same problem with your organisation.
Correct. I mixed up picking a song with picking a file.
I did not try your scenario, I don't see a use case for me.
Well, if you're interested: I think it's a good option for all the cases you might want get quickly to another song but don't want to use that song as next item in the setlist or itself as part of the main song.

In my case in my bigband I now or once want to go from my piano chart to the score to look something up in the arrangement. With a smart button at the top that's much more convenient than clicking through the library (and not much sense in putting the score in a setlist or as part of the song).

Another one might if I want to have to option to change quickly from a leadsheet to text only or chord pro (for singing all verses or something), also if I might want to change from an English text to a German text for the same song. There may be more use cases.
Thanks. You answered before I asked... Now I see a number of useful scenarios.

The advantage in comparison with file links is that you stay within MSP and keep all the MSP features of the destination song that you jump to: annotations, meta data, cropping, transposing chordpro, smart button to jump back ...
That could also be an interesting alternative to song notes.

A UI example for your request already exists: the right column and the filter section of the setlist editor is exactly what is required.
There exists a dialog in the application for picking a song already (you can reassign the right button in the quick action box to find a song, and it will pop up that dialog). I will work on switching the smart buttons dialog to use that dialog for picking a song, as it supports filtering.

Thanks,
Mike
You mean the one accessible from the menu at the left bottom? Yes, that will do fine. Thanks.
Yes, that one Smile
Mike, another thought. I would prefer it if after a Jump to a song by smart button (or the menu) the back buttons bring you back to the previous song and not to the tab you chose the start song from.
The app is really not set up to support that. I support that kind of feature only with the "pause setlist" option. Otherwise, no history is maintained for previous songs that were loaded.
OK, then smart button to go back it is.
Just to confirm. It works really nicely now with the songpicker. Having filters and the letter bar solve all the previous problems with selecting.

But I also want to request again another action for a file picker (to be opened with another app). Irealpro files can be opened again in Android 7 (and could always in previous versions). So it would be nice to be able to use the smart button as (not hardcoded) shortcut button to opening the (transposable) Irealpro file from within a song.

Of course there are other useful files:
- opening a PDF not in MSP but in another PDF-Viewer like Adobe Reader, for example if you want to view the MSP manual without switching between the song and the internal manual. Or if you want to view a PDF that you don't have or don't want to be imported into MSP.
- viewing sheets (or other) stuff not supported by MSP (Excel sheets, Office docs, epubs, mobi)
- opening musescore files (at least up to Android 6)
- opening MP3s in other audio players if necessary

So I'd really like you to consider it.

Thanks
I've added a feature request entry to bugzilla to track this. It should be something I can add without too much difficulty. The most annoying part is actually wiring everything together so that the smart button dialog can use the file browser to let you pick a file (due to the way activities work in Android).

Mike
Any chance you can find a way to sneak this into one of next updates?

I know your workload with bugfixing and the big sync and annotation updates. But if it's not a big bother, it would really help me with my sheets collection (and I guess others like itsme and Rob who work with other file formats and have to insert links or files into PDF files so far, too).
Pages: 1 2 3