MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Quick Question about reinstalling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have to reinstall MS. Do I need to uninstall it first? If so, how do I uninstall?

Or do I just go to the Play store and install it from there (and it will take whatever steps necessary to uninstall the current version).

Thanks.

Jeff
Yes, on your tablet, go to the settings->Apps->Find MobileSheets in the list and tap it->Uninstall. I believe you can also go to the list of applications on your home page, then press and hold MobileSheets and drag it to the uninstall option at the top. Installing just requires going back to the Google Play store and downloading it again.
(07-11-2013, 04:27 AM)Zuberman Wrote: [ -> ]...and tap it->Uninstall.
This deletes the MS folders of songs wherever they are stored I presume? If you have not backed up and store to the internal SD card then you could copy the folder of songs before uninstalling then copy it back after downloading a fresh version? would this work Mike?
(07-11-2013, 06:50 AM)bumblebee Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2013, 04:27 AM)Zuberman Wrote: [ -> ]...and tap it->Uninstall.
This deletes the MS folders of songs wherever they are stored I presume? If you have not backed up and store to the internal SD card then you could copy the folder of songs before uninstalling then copy it back after downloading a fresh version? would this work Mike?

I had backed up, but I made the mistake of backing up into the mobilesheets folder. Since the uninstall (I think) deletes the mobilesheets folder, I lost the backup.

Since my tablet does not access me external SD card, not I am backing up at the highest level of the internal SD Card (same location where the Android folder is located, I think).

I would also like and easy way to back up onto the computer. Could I just copy and paste the backup file into my PC if they are connected via usb cable? (Or even copy and past the full MobileSheets Folder itself ?)

Does this make sense.

I am really concerned about spending another 10 hours on annotations and losing it all for the third time!
You have multiple options for copying to the computer. You can

a) Use the companion and perform the Library backup from there (File->Library Backup)

or

b) Copy all of the files from /sdcard/Android/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files/ and also go inside MobileSheets->Options->Advanced->Export Database, select a location for the mobilesheets.db file, and then copy that file to your computer as well (the db contains all your song data, annotations, setlists, etc). If you use this method, when it's time to restore your library, you will have to copy the mobilesheets.db back to a temporary location (pick anywhere on the sd card), then go to MobileSheets->Options->Advanced->Import Database, and select the file you exported. An alternative to this is to store the database in the same folder listed above which requires checking the top option on the Options->Advanced screen (store the database on the sd card).
For this: MobileSheets->Options->Advanced->Export Database,

Am I copying/pasting to my PC. Or do I have to use some type of export command?

Jeff
You have to use the export command I listed to generate the database file (mobilesheets.db), but once it's generated on your tablet, you can copy/paste it to your PC.
(07-12-2013, 07:32 PM)Zuberman Wrote: [ -> ]You have to use the export command I listed to generate the database file (mobilesheets.db), but once it's generated on your tablet, you can copy/paste it to your PC.

Go it. I will print this out and keep it for future reference.

Thanks!
(07-12-2013, 09:30 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2013, 07:32 PM)Zuberman Wrote: [ -> ]You have to use the export command I listed to generate the database file (mobilesheets.db), but once it's generated on your tablet, you can copy/paste it to your PC.

Go it. I will print this out and keep it for future reference.

Thanks!

Hmm, I tried doing this. I can see the mobilesheets.db file on the tablet (which I exported to another location on the tablet as per your instructions), but, for some reason it does not show up on my computer (so I can copy it to my computer).
What folder did you put mobilesheets.db in? It has to be one that your computer can access. There are different modes on your tablet that can affect what files the computer sees (MTP and PTP). What folders do you see when your computer is connected to your tablet? If you only see things like music/pictures, you probably have the tablet set up to use PTP.
Okay, I figured it out. I had to disconnect the USB and exit MS (I came back a few hours later after the tablet went to sleep). When I connected again I could see the file. I think I might originally have exported the file (within the tablet) while the tablet was connected to the computer. So, I guess I had to "reset" the usb connection so it could see the file (or something like that).

By the way, I can't help suspecting that the loading problem that caused me to lose all my data had to with my hard shut off the tablet. I mean, when you exit MS, you don't really "quit" the program. And when you shut off the tablet, it is not saving anything. So I suspect, that the hard shut off of the tablet (holding the power button down for 3 seconds, etc.) is related to this problem. Maybe if there was a way to shut down mobilesheets (sort of how you exit from a word processing program in Windows) this would resolve the issue? [I know I am talking with very little knowledge about programming in the Android OS, etc., but I figured it couldn't hurt to let you know what I was thinking). Anyway, thanks for your continued responsiveness, Mike.
Shutting off the tablet like that should go through all the normal processes for killing applications (to my knowledge). I have shut down my own tablet with MobileSheets loaded more times than I can count with any issues. Every device is different though, which is what makes diagnosing problems so difficult with Android.
Yep, maybe it has to do with the specific interaction with the Toshiba Excite 13 (and only occasionally).