MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Transpose text file in song editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I use straight text files.  I would like use transpose in the editor to physically change the key from E to D so that when I get in to edit it I am now working in D.  Is this possible?  Transpose in the editor doesn't do anything.  I'm on MSP 2.0.9 for Android.
I will try to modify the code to correctly handle text files. Due to the fact that chords are not always clearly defined in text files, I will only transpose what I consider to be chord lines (where 75% of the words on the line are valid chords).

Mike
@T.B.Player: how about switching to ChordPro?
Thanks Mike.  I use the forums to make sure I'm not missing how to do something.  It would be great if you could add this capability.  It would definitely be one of those "save at your own risk" things but the few times I saw a transpose in the viewer it looked good.  When I went in to make a correction it took me a while a realize I was seeing a transposed version so I would have had to make an "untransposed" correction.  I'm just using my stylus for now to change the viewer version.  Regarding ChordPro suggestion - I should  probably go in that direction - but I'm "just" a bass player and I can always find/make text files for me and the keyboard player and the band does play with key changes.  I just haven't looked at the ChordPro universe yet.
I already added it - it's available in the latest update. Give it a shot and let me know how it works for you.

Thanks,
Mike
I assume you mean text files with chords on top of the lyrics?

Code:
G                     G
Oh she dressed in the dark
                   D
And she whispered Amen

There are lots of tools that can convert this to the ChordPro equivalent

Code:
[G]Oh she dressed in the [G]dark
And she whispered A[D]men

and vice versa.
Revisiting this in 2022 on latest MSP version. Same scenario - straight text file with basic chords on their own lines as in the example above posted by sciurius. Transpose in the viewer seems to work fine but transpose in the editor is very hit or miss. In fact for the file I'm working on - it works on some lines but on others not only does it not transpose but it erases the original chord completely. This is a simple 3-chord song with many lines having only one chord. Again - I want to permanently change the text file so so I see the transposed version in the viewer.
It might be something in your file - suggest you attach the file so others with more knowledge than me can try it on their systems

Geoff
It would certainly help to have the file to look at. I can see if there is any kind of bug that needs to be addressed. In general, using chord pro files will get you much more consistent results than straight text files. MobileSheetsPro has to guess at what are chord lines otherwise, and it can be thrown off by the presence of other characters on a chord line.

Mike
(01-03-2022, 06:28 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: [ -> ]It would certainly help to have the file to look at. I can see if there is any kind of bug that needs to be addressed. In general, using chord pro files will get you much more consistent results than straight text files. MobileSheetsPro has to guess at what are chord lines otherwise, and it can be thrown off by the presence of other characters on a chord line.

Mike

Here's one. Chords disappear when I drop it from A to G and remain gone when I try to transpose back to A. A to G transpose in the viewer seems work fine. I understand Chordpro benefits. I can also transpose on the web prior to import. This is an after-the-fact convenience. Song is in MSP and band decides to move to a different key at practice. Most definitely a proceed at your own risk capability as well.
I've found the issue and I have a fix in place now that will be included with the next update. I'm finishing up a few more changes and then will release the update (aiming to have it done later today or tomorrow at the latest). The problem was due to lines where there is a single chord with no whitespace after it - the chord would effectively be ignored by the logic. This only impacts text files where I have to identify chord lines separately from lyrics.

Mike