MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Editing a pdf song
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Forgive me up front if this seems a too-easy question to answer -
I'm a new user... but how do I insert my singing notes above each word of the pdf song, in between the lines so to speak? I've tried the manual, the help, everything... and my Toshiba AT300-3 keyboard doesn't appear on the song - all I get is little blue square where I click.

I would really appreciate anyone's help here - I have to insert notes (sol-fa, d,r,m,f,s,l,t,d, etc) to sing the songs properly.
Thanks in advance,
Ron
I am a relative beginniner, but I will try.

So, on the very bottom of the tablet there should be 4 or 5 (?) small icons (toward the right side). One of them is a little keyboard. Click on that and a window should open that allows you to turn off (I think) the physical keyboard. If you do this and click in the text box (which you should get when you get the "little blue square") you should be able to do do some annotations.

I guess you are going to try to add the tones of the scale of the notes on top of the staff? You should be able to do that, but it will be time consuming (especially on the tablet).

I hope that helps.

(08-30-2013, 08:24 PM)Ron Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive me up front if this seems a too-easy question to answer -
I'm a new user... but how do I insert my singing notes above each word of the pdf song, in between the lines so to speak? I've tried the manual, the help, everything... and my Toshiba AT300-3 keyboard doesn't appear on the song - all I get is little blue square where I click.

I would really appreciate anyone's help here - I have to insert notes (sol-fa, d,r,m,f,s,l,t,d, etc) to sing the songs properly.
Thanks in advance,
Ron
I can't answer the keyboard question, but I can tell you the only way to what you want is to use the annotate function of MS since, without access to a PDF writer, you cannot directly change a PDF.

If you have a lot of material to do, I guess this might a long and painful experience and I would seriously consider getting some PDF writing software. You don't have to go the Adobe route (that's pretty expensive) as there are other third-party programs you can use.

Personally, I use my DTP software PagePlus) which understands PDF and can write to them with no problem.
(08-30-2013, 11:57 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: [ -> ]I can't answer the keyboard question, but I can tell you the only way to what you want is to use the annotate function of MS since, without access to a PDF writer, you cannot directly change a PDF.

If you have a lot of material to do, I guess this might a long and painful experience and I would seriously consider getting some PDF writing software. You don't have to go the Adobe route (that's pretty expensive) as there are other third-party programs you can use.

Personally, I use my DTP software PagePlus) which understands PDF and can write to them with no problem.

Thanks, Graeme!
My 'real' job is a translator and interpreter - so I need to have the whole Adobe Suite of products for my various clients who use Acrobat, InDesign, etc. I CAN alter new PDFs - so that's the way I'll go (unless there is a quicker method).
Best,
Ron

OK, Jeff! That's another piece in the puzzle! I got a nice reply from Graeme below ... and that convinced me to insert my notes directly in Adobe Acrobat Pro in my PC. I'll open up and split the huge PDF (the first 500 songs, scanned today by a professional) into individual songs, then try to get them into the app using the MS Companion. All new country for me ... but an interesting challenge. Having been a part-time studio session guitarist and harmony singer, then a lead guitarist/singer in 4 different types of band, I'm finally going to go the solo entertainer route now that I'm retiring from my 'day job' as a translator - and I've amassed over 5000 songs, most with very good playbacks. I have a Toshiba AT 300-3, which is just as good as the iPad.
Thanks again for helping a blind beginner! (for theoretically repainting my white stick and feeding my guide dog)!
Best,
Ron

(08-30-2013, 11:15 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am a relative beginniner, but I will try.

So, on the very bottom of the tablet there should be 4 or 5 (?) small icons (toward the right side). One of them is a little keyboard. Click on that and a window should open that allows you to turn off (I think) the physical keyboard. If you do this and click in the text box (which you should get when you get the "little blue square") you should be able to do do some annotations.

I guess you are going to try to add the tones of the scale of the notes on top of the staff? You should be able to do that, but it will be time consuming (especially on the tablet).

I hope that helps.

(08-30-2013, 08:24 PM)Ron Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive me up front if this seems a too-easy question to answer -

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Unless you already have a means to quickly split up large PDF files, then I would recommend Boxoft PDF Split - http://www.boxoft.com/pdf-split/ - just bookmark the individual charts and then run the whole file past this software and even very large files get split in seconds.

My wife is also a translator, that's why I have all this stuff Smile .
Thanks again, Graeme. I just bought the software. I'll read the 13-page manual later. Not sure how to split the double page songs tho'... I'll get down to it on Monday.
Once again... thanks!
(08-31-2013, 05:25 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you already have a means to quickly split up large PDF files, then I would recommend Boxoft PDF Split - http://www.boxoft.com/pdf-split/ - just bookmark the individual charts and then run the whole file past this software and even very large files get split in seconds.

My wife is also a translator, that's why I have all this stuff Smile .
Just bookmark the first page of each song and then ask the Boxoft software to split the file at each bookmark. It doesn't matter if it's 1, 2 or 10 pages per song.
Graeme, what can I say but thanks? Will do!
Best,
Ron

(09-01-2013, 02:51 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: [ -> ]Just bookmark the first page of each song and then ask the Boxoft software to split the file at each bookmark. It doesn't matter if it's 1, 2 or 10 pages per song.