MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Attach/link "unknown" files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've added drag & drop support for creating smart buttons (when viewing a score) and to import files or folders on the library screen.

Mike
Hi Mike,
finally I find the time to answer after testing the finally released new version. Your improvements in drag&drop support work seamlessly and logical as far as I see it, so thank you for implementing it!

Importing could become still considerably easier, I think, if you could add the d&d also to the "files" and "audio" tab. What do you think?

Some more explanation: I just hate navigating to the same folder more than one time and often I have one or more PDFs of one song, different audio files and other connected files for one song, all in the same folder or subfolders. That means navigating to the folder in Explorer (1) and drop one file for song creation in the library, go to the files section/tap "add files" and navigate (2) to add other notation files, change to audio/tap "add files" and navigate (3). Do this for multiple songs and go crazy. ;-)

BTW: I now think it's useful that dropping a file on the page just always creates a smart button, not depending on the kind of the file as I thought first. Could help to keep things organized (e.g. for my big bands add the my section mate's parts  as pages to have them at hand for me if he may not be at the rehearsal, but add other parts as smart button to open them seperately in another app and maybe have them split screen for other players).
I've added drag & drop support to both the files list and audio list. Wasn't hard to do.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Mike
Great, thanks again once more, I‘m lucky that it was not that complicated! One never really knows as a user which things are complicated... some things feel easy but turn out a hell of an effort. ;-)
Waldbaer, we have similar needs and uses for the smart buttons. I create smart buttons in my bigband sheets for invoking the scores as well as in other sheets for other “unknown“ files like ABC, IRealPro, mscz etc.

And I also have asked for simplifying the adding process (also for audio). 

Expanding on your thread here, Mike, how about something like a floating or docked file picker window within MSP which can be used the same to drag and drop files in different scenarios like adding audio in song or listview, adding smart buttons and maybe more?
Nice to read that I’m not the only user taking advantage of the new features. Hm, as a Windows user, I don‘t really see an additional advantage of a custom file picker over an explorer window which is attached to a side, though. Are you speaking about Android (don’t use it myself, so I have very limited knowledge) or Windows?
> Nice to read that I’m not the only user taking advantage of the new features. 

Well, since I requested a few of those (especially the unknown files thing for smart buttons), of course. :-)

> Hm, as a Windows user, I don‘t really see an additional advantage of a custom file picker over an explorer window which is attached to a side, though. Are you speaking about Android (don’t use it myself, 
> so I have very limited A knowledge) or Windows?

I'm using it both, the W10 version with a surface and a PC desktop and the Android one with a Sony tablet and mobile.
You're right, that for you on Windows there may be no big difference to using the explorer. But I think Mike would prefer to and should have a workflow from within MSP which is the same or at least similar on W10 and Android (and at some point IOS).
I understand your point. On a device without a file explorer on the same screen, an internal solution of course makes sense and keeping the different versions as similar as possible is an important goal, too. It's just some more work than the other features requested here, I think... Mike will probably decide wisely when to do what. ;-)
A file explorer attached to the side would be a significant effort. The current file browser was based off an open source library that has been continuously modified for MobileSheetsPro. It's based around having a completely separate activity that starts a foreground service to asynchronously handle displaying the list of files, whether it be from a local storage location or the cloud. In order to attach a file explorer like what you are describing, I would either have to copy the existing file browser and modify it to work as a fragment that can support drag & drop to other parts of the screen (no idea how difficult that is or if it's possible with the Android framework), or implement something completely new which would take a long time. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just think there are other things I should prioritize right now as there are many other ways to import files into MobileSheetsPro right now. I'm also not sure how feasible it is to even display an attached file browser as most tablets are around 10 inches, and that doesn't leave much room for a functional browser.

Mike
Mike, I'm okay with that. I thought that a common architecture and workflow between the OSes would be something you are looking for. But if
it's to complex and you're allowing differences anyway (and I guess IOS will be a completely different beast anyway) then I'm completely satisfied with drag and drop
in Windows since I do most of my file operations for MSP at my W10 desktop anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3