MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Changing the home directory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A really interesting thing happened.

After I tried the change storage location process once again the day before yesterday, still on 2.4.9 on W10, and let it work through the night again the progress bar again was still stuck (this time on 0 %) when I looked the next morning. Sso I canceled again (like before).

When I started MSP (still on 2.4.9 W10) today on my desktop the new storage location was in the settings and the files were found.

I'm happy with the result but how it got there especially with the moving and no progress bar is a bit confusing to me.

I have to test if all is in the right place but it seems so for now.
O.k. final report on this.

I updated my Surface Pro to 2.5.4 since I thought you improved the "change storage location" in this version so I could change it on my last device with a bit less trouble.

I guess you haven't changed anything there yet though, have you?

Usually I have nothing but praise for MSP but this feature still doesn't work well at all.

To be fair there might have been some things which made the process more difficult and less smooth for MSP. My storage location contained about 24 GB, it was saved on a SD card and also in a dropbox directory (drobox gives warnings in the background if files and directories should be removed from a dropbox one notices only when MSP is closed) which all may have contributed to it.

First it again took ages since MSP moved or tried to move all files though I already had all of them in the storage location already.
It worked its way up to 50 % in about an hour but then again for unknown reasons it started again from 0 %.

I waited the night and in the next morning the new storage location was accepted and showed up in the settings. But there were lots of files missing, meaning they couldn't be found in the new storage location. (I copied them manually again into the new storage location and then it worked and  I haven't noticed any more missing files for now).

I probably won't need to change the storage location again in the near future since I have it now on the devices how I need it (2 W10 devices and 1 Android with a new SD card).

But I again propose that you let the user decide if MSP moves the files or if he wants to do it manually with OS devices.

There is no need to change anything in the database anymore apart from the storage location path, correct? It's all relative paths and only the physical moving of the files to the new storage location is needed?

In my experience the MSP way currently isn't reliable, very slow and doesn't take advantage of OS advantages (I'm talking about the quick moving or hardlink copies on NT file systems).

As I said, the easiest way would be to ask the user if he wants MSP to move files or if the storage location should be changed without any file changes (which the user is responsible for).
Pages: 1 2