MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: How to sync two devices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have MobileSheets Pro on two Windows 10 computers. I have changed the Storage Location in Settings to OneDrive. OneDrive syncs to both computers and is accessible at C:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\Music\MobileSheets

I thought that this would be sufficient to keep both devices the same, but it doesn't. 

The OneDrive Folder only has the songs, but not the annotations. I see that all the settings and details and the annotations still go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr

I will never use both computers at the same time. I want to be able to import and annotate songs on one computer, shut down MobileSheets, open it on the other computer (allowing time for the OneDrive sync), and then see the same songs and annotations.

Is that possible? What do I have to do for that? 

I find the sync instructions in the manual rather confusing. It only talks about files and libraries, but not about annotations.
Hello,

So the important thing to note here is the annotations and all of the library metadata is stored in the database file. The path to the database file is C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState\mobilesheets.db. That file cannot be stored in any other directory due to limitations with SQLite and UWP applications (it comes down to file permissions). So if you want to sync multiple computers, you have to sync the C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState folder in addition to the storage location (if it's different). Settings are stored in the XML files in that folder, so you can choose whether or not to sync those up. At the very least, copy MobileSheets.db between the devices.

The sync library feature that is discussed in the manual uses a different approach. If you sync two devices to each other over the network, it finds the differences between each library and only sends those differences (making it very fast). If you sync to a cloud folder, an entire copy of your library will be uploaded to the sync folder you choose, and that library will be used to diff against your devices when performing syncs. This allows multiple devices to sync to the same folder and choose whether to push changes, pull changes, or both. If you take the approach of manually synchronizing your files or using OneDrive synchronization, that is outside of the scope of what is covered in the manual, as it's basically going outside of the application to make the sync happen. I'm trying to prevent users from having to do that. 

Let me know if you have additional questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

Mike