MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Formatting the name of the ALBUMS tab.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Any chance you could add an option to format the album name in the "ALBUMS" tab? I would like to be able to associate an album with a composer, for example. Then I would immediately see the name of the album and composer as it is solved in the SONGS tab.
Is there a reason you can't just rename your albums to contain the composer name if it's critical for you? It would complicate the design a lot if group tabs start including titles from other fields. With songs, it at least makes sense to want to include other data with the song title, but it makes less sense to me to have an album contain other fields like composer, key, genre, etc.

Mike
I've been using MobileSheets for some time - maybe I started using tabs wrong... now I'm explaining what I mean...

I add each song to the library separately, but sometimes several songs form a cycle - then I make an album out of them.

For example:
Bunte Blätter Op. 99 R. Schumann consists of 14 pieces. I gave them names:
No. 01 'Stücke I'
No. 02 'Stücke II'
No. 02 'Stücke III' (etc.)

I placed them in a cycle (ALBUMS tab) called:
Bunte Blatter Op. 99

I formatted the song names so that the album is displayed first and then the name of the specific song, e.g.:
Bunte Blätter Op. 99 No. 01 'Stücke I'
Bunte Blätter Op. 99 No. 02 'Stücke II'
Bunte Blätter Op. 99 No. 02 'Stücke III' (etc.)

In my case, all songs in the album are by one composer. Perhaps I thought it wrong and I should create setlists from the songs and format the song names differently... Or maybe you could add a tab called CYCLES to the project and then the compositions of the same composer that form a cycle would have their place?
Hard to know what to do about multi-movement works. For mine I mostly just save them as one piece but they're usually just 3 or 4 movements which is less unwieldy than a full song cycle. Using albums seems like a good set-up for song cycles. I think setlists are designed to be used to group pieces that will be performed together in a particular order so probably best to leave them for that and keep using albums they way you are. I format my titles so that for classical music the name of the composer is shown first. Would adding the composer's name to the formatted title achieve what you're trying to do? If you have the composer's name first then all the cycles by one composer would at least be grouped together.
I think I'll do as you suggest - add the name of the composer and format the name of the piece differently. It's going to cost me a lot of work to rename all the songs I put in the library. It is a pity that the issue of creating multi-movement works assigned to one cycle and one composer has not been taken into account...
You don't  necessarily have to rename the pieces -just change the format of the displayed name so that it includes the composer field.

Geoff