MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Data orginization quandry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to organize everything both on the local devices and on the Gdrive sync. After some experimenting, I have discovered that for pdf music books, if I add the entire book as a single pdf msheets will put it into a directory of its name. Then I can import the csv for the book (already pre-edited with bookmarks for each song), that creates all the song entries with pointers into the single shared pdf book. I then can work through the songs and tweak the page ranges and cropping as necessary to make everything look and work as expected. So far so good.

So today I embarked upon adding mp3 play-along files to all of the songs of one of the books. Msheets copies each of those mp3s into a directory with the name of the song... no surprise, but not as convenient as I might have liked as they end up scattered through 100 song directories. SO... following what I discovered for the pdf books, I copied all of the mp3s for the book into the msheets' named directory for the target book, then tried updating the audio links to point to that copy of the mp3. I was hoping that since it already existed in the database that it would leave it where it was located, but nope, it still copies each mp3 into its own named directory. I have not found any way to get msheets to just use the original mp3 as provided rather than relocating it.

[note: I have "create subdirectories for each song" and "let msheets manage file structure" enabled, and maybe those are what's causing what I'm seeing, but those seem necessary to make the pdfs work they way they are.]

So this relocating of the mp3 could become a problem -- I know some of those songs appear in multiple books, and each has its own mp3 files, so it's going to try to lump all of those into the same song directory despite the sources being different. That's going to lead to name collisions and use confusion as the collections grow.

One possibility would be to rename each mp3 to include the source music book as part of the mp3 name, but that's going to be cumbersome to implement... but maybe the best solution.

Is there some better way that I should be organizing all of this? I'm I just missing something? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe