MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Feature request: Copy and Paste all fields
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if it's possible, probably wishful thinking! I like having both a chordpro file and a pdf or image of the same song in lead sheet or sheet music form. I know you're hoping to do song versioning sometime in the future, but in the meantime...

I would be nice if there were some way press a button to copy all fields and then paste same info into another song! (And then change the one or two fields that might be different, like source).
I've breached this subject in the past, but the problem is that many features in MobileSheets currently rely on tracking a page number in the song. The page numbers are not relative to a specific file - if you add four PDFs to a song, and a smart button is on page 3, for example, and then you reorder the files, that button will still be on page 3 even though the files changed position, and what was previously page 3 might now be page 10, for example. The problem is that with chord pro files, the number of pages can change dynamically. If you change the text size, you could go from it being just one page, to five pages. This throws off all the page numbering with smart buttons, bookmarks, annotations, etc. So in order to support this properly, I would need to rework all of the page number assignments to be relative to a specific file, which means every database table needs to contain not only the page number, but the ID of the file that a particular entry is associated with. Then a file having dynamically changing page numbers wouldn't be as big a deal and you could combine chord pro and PDF with few or no consequences. It's also not impossible for me to handle this at the moment - I know the previous number of pages, and I know the new number of pages after a chord pro changes size, so I could then adjust everything in the entire song to offset the pages for all of the bookmarks, buttons, annotations, etc. That's just more error-prone, and I didn't want to have to update so many database tables every time the number of pages changes in the chord pro file (which can happen while changing settings, rotating the tablet, etc). So I am going to do something about this, I just don't know the timeline for it at the moment.

As far as your second request, that's what the current "Copy Song" option does on the library screen. Long press your song to select it, tap "Copy Song" at the top of the screen and you'll get an exact copy of the song that you can name differently and change the metadata as desired. Is this different from what you want?

Mike
I want to follow up on my question about copying song data to another same song, for other new users who haven't discovered this yet... Perhaps this was obvious for others but it took me awhile to figure it out. 

This for the above request I made back in April to easily copy song data from one song to another copy of the same song in a different format without having to retype all of it. 

After using MS for several more months, I have found a workable solution which I hadn't figured out before. 

After selecting both songs and choosing edit at the top, the edit data screen comes up. Those fields which are different are red. Check the ones you want to be on the new file and press okay.

It took a few times to figure out not to check the ones that should have different info, so for example, if you have different sourcefile info and you check it, now both songs will have both sourcefile info on them. So be careful which data you don't want replicated across both songs.

Anyway, it works great! Thanks Mike!