• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
splitting large PDF files
I have a large pdf file that contains over a hundred and thirty songs. How can I split each song out of the total. When I edited the individual songs, providing the start and end page # to have them displayed in lists, I also named that individual song. I believed that the program would copy just those pages for that song. However I now suspect that for every copy of a single song, there is also a duplicate of the original 130+ songs as it's source file. (I found that if I page forward the next song is displayed, not the end-of-song notice.)  How can I check to see if that large file is duplicated many times, and if that is the case, how can I separate the original into 130+ PDF files and save memory?
Long press one of the songs from the big PDF and select "Copy Song" from the menu. The song editor opens where you can edit the meta data. On the "Files" tab enter the according page in "Page Order". Repeat that for all songs from the PDF that you want to use. Proceding like this you create many songs with their specific title and meta data. All of them reference the same file, no need to worry about wasting memory.
You can check that easily: delete one of the songs and check "Delete Song Pdf/Image/Text Files". The other songs will also lose their file.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(08-07-2015, 07:20 AM)itsme Wrote: Long press one of the songs from the big PDF and select "Copy Song" from the menu. The song editor opens where you can edit the meta data. On the "Files" tab enter the according page in "Page Order". Repeat that for all songs from the PDF that you want to use. Proceding like this you create many songs with their specific title and meta data. All of them reference the same file, no need to worry about wasting memory.

This is the way to do it. I have a file with over 900 songs. Using 'Copy Song' assures that you only have one copy of the original file.

(08-07-2015, 07:20 AM)itsme Wrote: You can check that easily: delete one of the songs and check "Delete Song Pdf/Image/Text Files". The  other songs will also lose their file.

Actually, if the file is used by more than one song, it will NOT be deleted when you delete another song, even with that option selected. It is only when the LAST song that uses the file is deleted that the file will also be deleted.
(08-07-2015, 06:58 AM)maintech Wrote: I have a large pdf file that contains over a hundred and thirty songs. How can I split each song out of the total. When I edited the individual songs, providing the start and end page # to have them displayed in lists, I also named that individual song. I believed that the program would copy just those pages for that song. However I now suspect that for every copy of a single song, there is also a duplicate of the original 130+ songs as it's source file. (I found that if I page forward the next song is displayed, not the end-of-song notice.)  How can I check to see if that large file is duplicated many times, and if that is the case, how can I separate the original into 130+ PDF files and save memory?

Have you considered splitting the large PDF file first before importing to MobileSheets?
There are some free utilities to do this, such as pdftk.
Use the MobileSheets Companion (the old, green one, because the function you need is still missing in the new version!)
#File
#Convert PDF to Images
Select your PDF-File ( I have done this with severeal Realbooks)
Convert to PNG

All pages of the original PDF will be written to single PNG-Files on the computer.
After that I renamed the files according to the song names. If there are more pages per song you can name it "Song_1", "Song_2", ...
Move the PNG-files to the tablet into a new folder and use the batch import in MSP.
The song names are generated form the file names, muli pages files will be automatically detected and names as "Song" without the page number.

HtH Vibraphon
---------------------------------------------------------
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-P1325, Android 4.1.1
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-I1345, Android 5.1.1
Microsoft Surface Pro 4; Windows 10
Phone: Motorola Moto G3, Android 6.0
I'm with alex_hk90 on this subject. Far easier to split the files before importing into MS.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Thanks to all for your quick replies. Because the songs have already been imported, I'll try the 'copy' method. However it it takes forever I'll delete them after I've tried using the utility pdftk.
(08-07-2015, 04:19 PM)alex_hk90 Wrote:
(08-07-2015, 06:58 AM)maintech Wrote: I have a large pdf file that contains over a hundred and thirty songs. How can I split each song out of the total. When I edited the individual songs, providing the start and end page # to have them displayed in lists, I also named that individual song. I believed that the program would copy just those pages for that song. However I now suspect that for every copy of a single song, there is also a duplicate of the original 130+ songs as it's source file. (I found that if I page forward the next song is displayed, not the end-of-song notice.)  How can I check to see if that large file is duplicated many times, and if that is the case, how can I separate the original into 130+ PDF files and save memory?

Have you considered splitting the large PDF file first before importing to MobileSheets?
There are some free utilities to do this, such as pdftk.

Yes, I considered splitting and decided not to split them. I'm really happ with my current workflow. We discussed that widely in the forum, e.g. http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=1936.
Thanks for the link to pdfk, it looks promising. By now I use "PDF split and merge" http://www.pdfsam.org/ which also works fine.
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

Thanks itsme, I'm going to get the utility and try that, appreciate your reply,

David
One of my song books in pdf format has been updated with revised music, so I thought I would use the method advised above, change the pdf file into png images using the MS companion. I find that I'm getting lost again (old age galloping up on me again) I finally located the png files, but when I select the file a warning appears, "File already exists" and gives me 3 options. If I select the same file, any 2nd or 3rd pages in the original song does not appear, so I need to use the pdf file, and it would seem that there is no method to use the png files. If that's the case,  how do I delete the png files to save storage space, and not risking deleting any songs I've saved from the large pdf master file? I'd like to simply use the png file and rename it but how do I get multiple pages linked to the same song, also how can I see the image of the png file so that I don't rename it incorrectly?

Appreciate any help, 

David
Updating an existing song that uses a number of image files is going to be a little more tedious. My recommendation would be to edit the existing song, remove all files, then import all of the new PNGs at once in the song editor. It will prompt you about the file conflict when this happens most likely, so just choose the option to overwrite the existing files.

Mike
Thanks Mike, appreciate your continued support,

David.
Unfortunately, there are no solutions to handle this for free. From paid ones, I would recommend this: https://edit-pdf.pdffiller.com/ Adobe Acrobat (slightly more expensive), MasterPDF (free trial yet short of features)
There is: PDFSam
See my post in this thread from 08-09-2015

(08-07-2015, 07:20 AM)itsme Wrote: Long press one of the songs from the big PDF and select "Copy Song" from the menu. The song editor opens where you can edit the meta data. On the "Files" tab enter the according page in "Page Order". Repeat that for all songs from the PDF that you want to use. Proceding like this you create many songs with their specific title and meta data. All of them reference the same file, no need to worry about wasting memory.
You can check that easily: delete one of the songs and check "Delete Song Pdf/Image/Text Files". The  other songs will also lose their file.

Hello !

Thank you for this explanation.
It helps me to manage my song coming from 6 differents Jazz (new) Real Book. Cool

Do you know a more conveniant way to procede ? Huh
It would be easier to navigate in a big pdf file, selecting the songs with bookmarks, and  then converting the bookmarks into a new song. The created new song would be the same as the copy as created in your method descibed above.

Or, does it exist a method with the Companion tool ?

Idea  Or why not with a CSV file containing the pdf file source, for instance using:
"song1 ; page 25 ; RealBook2.pdf"