• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two problems
I'm running the latest versions of MSP and Companion (on Win 10).

This evening, after the latest upgrade, I did a full backup and see two problems;

1 - There is no automatic sync between the tablet and the PC, I have to do it manually, using the address shown on the tablet.  This has been going on for some time and I reported it a while back now.  It's not a deal-breaker, so I haven't concerned myself too much about it.

2 - After upgrading both the Android app and the Windows program, I did a backup -  which is something I always do, both before and after any upgrade.  I then tried to read the backup file, using view/extract.  This failed (see attached screenshot).  I got the same result using earlier backups, but this may be because of incompatabilities between versions.  TBH, I haven't checked the view/extract feature for a while, as it always used to be OK, so this may be something that's not that new.

Needless to say, I haven't been brave enough to try a restore - it might stuff up the whole system!!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I'll try to see if I can reproduce that error. Just to verify - does it happen with new backups as well as old backups?

As for the automatic sync not working, I can't explain that. I haven't changed the connection code in a very long time. Have you tried rebooting your router? I know it sounds odd, but that has fixed problems for me in the past.
Quick response as ever, Mike.

1 - I'm not sure what you mean by 'new' and 'old' in this context. I backed up to PC before upgrading both the tablet and Companion. After the upgrades, I did another backup - this is my normal practice if upgrading anything. I can't extract neither. Furthermre, I can't extract any earlier backups I have.

2 - For me, it hasn't worked for a long time Smile . In fact, the router has been changed since the bug first appeared and it's been re-booted more than once during the period concerned. Be up for another change of router today, if my new high power one arrives (the couriers here are hopekess, so I'm not holding my breath).

I reported this sync problem here - http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=3477 - and although your answer then made sense. I disabled my protectio completely, but it made no difference. I still can't what is blocking the connection. No big deal, I was just hoping someone else might have had the same and know the solution.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Much to my astonishment, the new router actually arrived today.

However, I'm worse off now than before! I can't sync between the tablet and the computer at all - automatically or manually. The same is true for the backup tablet. Now I have a real problem.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Wow, that's really bad news Graeme. Can you check if there is a way to unblock/forward ports in the router? The ports used by the companion app are 8888, 16568, and 16569. I'm assuming you don't have any firewall software running on your PC and you've ensured that Windows Firewall isn't blocking the companion. Getting a new router means all of the IP addresses probably changed, and this could have potentially changed something in software on your PC.

I've also tried viewing about 15 different backup files in the companion app, and they have all worked. I'm really not sure what to do at this point unless someone can provide a backup file that no longer works.

Mike
(09-10-2016, 02:20 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Wow, that's really bad news Graeme.  Can you check if there is a way to unblock/forward ports in the router? The ports used by the companion app are 8888, 16568, and 16569.  I'm assuming you don't have any firewall software running on your PC and you've ensured that Windows Firewall isn't blocking the companion.  Getting a new router means all of the IP addresses probably changed, and this could have potentially changed something in software on your PC.

I've also tried viewing about 15 different backup files in the companion app, and they have all worked. I'm really not sure what to do at this point unless someone can provide a backup file that no longer works.

Mike

1 - Bad news indeed.  I'll have to delve into the new router's software and see if any ports are being blocked (which will be fun, as it's in Spanish).  Actually, I'm not that happy with its performance anyway, it's supposed to be 'high power' but performs no better than the €20 router it replaced, so I'm talking with the manufacturers about that.  In the meantime, I might well be putting the old one back temporarily.

2 - Windows Direwall is turned off - in fact, I can't even turn it on, never worked out why that should be - and I'm running Webroot on both the PC and the tablets.

3 - I have several backups that I can't extract, but I am certain there is nothing wrong with any of them (except, perhaps, the last couple, which I obviously have been unable to check).  They have all worked in the past.  I know this because I often use the feature to produce a printed chart for someone.  Whatever the problem is, it lies elsewhere.

For the moment, I have made backups on the tablets, just in case of a problem.  However, I'll only use those in a dire emergency, as I have no way of knowing if they will actually work without trying them out and if they fall over, then I have nothing!!
Graeme

Some of my music here
Well, the new, fancy, expensive, wireless router finally fell over completely yesterday - which didn't come as a great surprise, as I thought there was something not right about it from the moment I first fired it up.

Put the old router back in and now I am back to where I was. No automatic sync between PC and tablet/s. Appears to make a backup (either that, or it's spending an awful long time not making one) but unable to extract that backup (or any, known good, earlier ones).

The non-sync issue, I can live with (have been for a while now) but the uncertainty of the backup situation realy is a worry.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Graeme,

I hate to ask this of you, but in order to fix the backup extraction issue, I'll need you to upload a backup file somewhere for me. Is there any chance you can do that and send a link to mike@zubersoft.com? I don't know what else to do at this point as I've gone through quite a lot of backup files without experiencing a problem.

As for the automatic sync not working, that is dependent upon a broadcast message being sent by the tablet and the companion app seeing that broadcast message. That broadcast message goes out on 255.255.255.255, port 8888. I'm not sure if there is a setting on your router that deals with broadcast packets, but we will need to figure out why those are getting blocked. One thing you can do if you get bored is to install wireshark (a packet sniffer) and see if your PC is getting those broadcast messages at all (you can set up a filter for udp.port == 255)

Thanks,
Mike
I put the latest backup in my dropbox - 20160909.msb. It's in the ZUBER directory and you already have access to that.

Got a couple of fairly important music things this week, so I'm holding off playing around too much in case I truly go FUBAR Smile . However, I've made a note of the port numbers, etc. and will get round to it after Wednesday.
Graeme

Some of my music here
I'm happy to report your backup file works fine Graeme. It was a rather stupid bug in my companion app that was causing the backup viewer to fail. I'm going to put out an update today for both the tablet and companion app. I'm also going to be modifying the connection logic a little bit to use a multicast message either in lieu of or in addition to the broadcast message so that it's less likely to get blocked (I hope).

Thanks,
Mike
Thank you so much Mike, good to know that there a 'real' bug and not one I'm imagining Smile .

Knowing that, I feel a lot better now. Time to tackle the guy who sold me the router (this should be fun!!).
Graeme

Some of my music here
I ran out of time today, but my plan is to release the update in the morning. I've accumulated quite a few bug fixes which I'm happy about.
No panic - now I know there is a solution in the pipeline, I can stop worrying.

Excellent service as usual, I know a few large companies who could learn a trick or two, about support, from you.
Graeme

Some of my music here
With the latest versions of MSP and Companion, the problem of reading and extracting from backup files has gone away.

I still can't auto-connect - I have to enter the address manually. Since I don't see anyone else reporting this as a problem, I think I can safely assume it has something to do with my particular setup. As it exists on all the tablets, I'll have a hunt around and see if I can find something that's commonn to everything.

[Faulty router on its way back to supplier and (hopefully) a replacement on its way here!]
Graeme

Some of my music here
I'm sorry to hear my changes in the latest update didn't fix the connection problem. Something must be stopping the broadcast packet that is sent out from the tablet.