• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flip Chromebooks in 2020 - anyone tried these?
I know there have been threads on this issue before but some of these are quite old and refer to outdated models. So...

Has anyone tried the latest flip Chromebooks with MobileSheets? I'm looking at something like the Asus Chromebook Flip C434 which has a 14" 1080p 1920x1080 pixels display. That's a 1.78 aspect ratio.  How does MobileSheets display an A4 PDF sheet music in this aspect ratio? Does it fill the screen or leave chunks of space? Many thanks.
I´v just bought an Acer Chromebook Spin 13 CP713 with 13,5" display, aspect ratio 3:2, screen resolution 2256 x 1504 with Wacom EMR pen. MSP works like a dream, sheets appear perfect as A4 on paper. (I paid 533 Euro for it.)
However I have some issues with BT page turn pedals, they work only in landscape mode (laptop mode) and if I try to turn the tablet to portrait mode, the display turns back to landscape mode. It is a bug in Chrome OS, and I hope it´s going to be addressed. Fortunately I have a USB page turner (wired) and it works fine.
I have another issue regarding MIDI connection, what works fine on my Android tablet, won´t connect in Chromebook.
But I hope, I can figure out how to resolve this problems.
MSP on Samsung Galaxy TabPro S 12.2" Windows version
MSP on Huawei T5 Android tablet 10.2"
MSP on Acer Chromebook Spin 13 13.5" 3:2 ar.
AirTurn BT-200/S-4 page turner
Donner BT page turner
BiLi pro USB page turner
avago - Chromebook devices don't support the default MIDI library in MobileSheetsPro. What you'll need to do is go to Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, switch to the Google MIDI library, select the input/output ports and then MIDI should start working.

Mike
(01-17-2020, 02:30 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: avago - Chromebook devices don't support the default MIDI library in MobileSheetsPro. What you'll need to do is go to Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, switch to the Google MIDI library, select the input/output ports and then MIDI should start working.

Mike

Yes, it works!

Thank you Mike
Donner BT page turner
BiLi pro USB page turner
(01-16-2020, 08:46 PM)ianmcairns Wrote: Has anyone tried the latest flip Chromebooks with MobileSheets? I'm looking at something like the Asus Chromebook Flip C434 which has a 14" 1080p 1920x1080 pixels display. That's a 1.78 aspect ratio.  How does MobileSheets display an A4 PDF sheet music in this aspect ratio? Does it fill the screen or leave chunks of space? Many thanks.

16x9 ratio is good for video but not the best for sheet music. 3:2 or 4:3 ratios are much better.
I'm using MSPro with Google's Pixel Slate m3 and it's fantastic. Including Bluetooth page turning (Airturn bt-105) in master/slave mode.
Google had $450 Pixel Slate sale (keyboard and pen included).
(01-17-2020, 01:30 PM)otnt Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 08:46 PM)ianmcairns Wrote: Has anyone tried the latest flip Chromebooks with MobileSheets? I'm looking at something like the Asus Chromebook Flip C434 which has a 14" 1080p 1920x1080 pixels display. That's a 1.78 aspect ratio.  How does MobileSheets display an A4 PDF sheet music in this aspect ratio? Does it fill the screen or leave chunks of space? Many thanks.

16x9 ratio is good for video but not the best for sheet music. 3:2 or 4:3 ratios are much better.
I'm using MSPro with Google's Pixel Slate m3 and it's fantastic. Including Bluetooth page turning (Airturn bt-105) in master/slave mode.
Google had $450 Pixel Slate sale (keyboard and pen included).

I totally agree - got my two slates as 'used' from ebay for $260 each, but they are quasi new and work quite good!
(01-17-2020, 12:42 AM)avago Wrote: I´v just bought an Acer Chromebook Spin 13 CP713 with 13,5" display, aspect ratio 3:2, screen resolution 2256 x 1504 with Wacom EMR pen. MSP works like a dream, sheets appear perfect as A4 on paper. (I paid 533 Euro for it.)
However I have some issues with BT page turn pedals, they work only in landscape mode (laptop mode) and if I try to turn the tablet to portrait mode, the display turns back to landscape mode. It is a bug in Chrome OS, and I hope it´s going to be addressed. Fortunately I have a USB page turner (wired) and it works fine.
I have another issue regarding MIDI connection, what works fine on my Android tablet, won´t connect in Chromebook.
But I hope, I can figure out how to resolve this problems.
Hi Avago,

bought the same model Chromebook. I read before that you can rotate manually by 90° steps with ctr shift F3 (rotate). That works, so I think I'm fine. I'll report if different.
Hi JoopB,
I´m still very happy with my Chromebook, it works perfect. The rotate issue is solved with manually push ctr shift rotate, then it turns to portrait mode and laptop mode as well if I use a BT pedal. But I still can acces all of the funcions in MSP by touching the screen (withoult keyboard acces) the back arrow key appears at the up left corner.
Donner BT page turner
BiLi pro USB page turner
(04-30-2020, 11:42 PM)avago Wrote: Hi JoopB,
I´m still very happy with my Chromebook, it works perfect. The rotate issue is solved with manually push ctr shift rotate, then it turns  to portrait mode and laptop mode as well if I use a BT pedal. But I still can acces all of the funcions in MSP by touching the screen (withoult keyboard acces) the back arrow key appears at the up left corner.
Hi Avago, 
after a few updates the issue disappeared! Now it rotates automatically and correctly, also with the BT airturn on bluetooth!

Joop
This is great news, what is the version number of the Chromebook OS you use?

avago
Donner BT page turner
BiLi pro USB page turner
Hi Avago, my version is: 
Versie 81.0.4044.127 (Officiële build) (64-bits) (now)

Joop 
Thanks, as you write, now it turns to portrait mode automatically. But it still change from tablet mode to laptop mode if BT pedal is connected even if the keyboard is turned all the way behind the display and thus inaccessible. Anyway it works fine with MSP, every funktion is accessible from the screen, and most important: it is a pleasure to read musik on this large 3:2 display.
Donner BT page turner
BiLi pro USB page turner
(01-16-2020, 08:46 PM)ianmcairns Wrote: I know there have been threads on this issue before but some of these are quite old and refer to outdated models. So...

Has anyone tried the latest flip Chromebooks with MobileSheets? I'm looking at something like the Asus Chromebook Flip C434 which has a 14" 1080p 1920x1080 pixels display. That's a 1.78 aspect ratio.  How does MobileSheets display an A4 PDF sheet music in this aspect ratio? Does it fill the screen or leave chunks of space? Many thanks.

It might be better to find a 3:2 ratio device but the speed and inexpensive price lead me to the HP Chromebook X360.  Not an HD display but for the purposes of MobileSheets that is not required. It looks great but leaves a space at the bottom. 14" display is plenty big. I found a 128GB SD card. Still looking for a foot pedal. We will see how it goes. The free trial version worked well. The keypad I got works on my PC devices but not on the chrombook. Just the numbers I need one that also shifts and does the functions of page up and down etc..Will keep the forum informed.
I Can making notes and highlighting on a music page in Mobile Sheets Pro with Asus Chromebook .

I just got a XP-Pen Star G430S drawing tablet and it is fully compatible with Asus Chromebook Flip for digital writing , and Notation. it works fine.