• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheets with Augmented Reality glasses?
With very lightweight Augmented Reality glasses being released, like the Epson Moverio BT-40 for €530 (ex. VAT), we can use our Android smartphone (with support for USB-C alt mode) to project a big screen in front of our eyes, while still seeing the environment. To me this seems perfect for use with MobileSheets!

What do you think of this idea? What points of attention would there be to think about? And what would be the most convenient way to turn pages with this kind of setup, since it lacks a touchscreen? I'd rather not use a foot pedal while playing something like a church organ. Would turning the pages by hand gestures be an option, e.g. in combination with a Motion Leap Controller?
This should also work with the already available and very affordable MAD Gaze Glow Plus glasses, which are very lightweight and look almost like normal sunglasses. Page turning should be possible with simple hand gestures.

The only thing necessary for this: a smartphone (or PC) with USB-C DP alt mode support. See this list for supported devices.

Anyone in the US eager to test this out?
(02-03-2021, 07:03 PM)Zwart Wrote: With very lightweight Augmented Reality glasses being released, like the Epson Moverio BT-40 for €530 (ex. VAT), we can use our Android smartphone (with support for USB-C alt mode) to project a big screen in front of our eyes, while still seeing the environment. To me this seems perfect for use with MobileSheets!

What do you think of this idea? What points of attention would there be to think about? And what would be the most convenient way to turn pages with this kind of setup, since it lacks a touchscreen? I'd rather not use a foot pedal while playing something like a church organ. Would turning the pages by hand gestures be an option, e.g. in combination with a Motion Leap Controller?

1. Did you ever tried to read sheet music from 120 inch 1080p screen from 5 metres distance?
2. Have you done your research regarding the battery life of these glasses? They drain the battery rather quickly. See how the specs don't mention the battery life.
3. Did you hear about Airturn's bite switch? It can turn the pages with a bite or squeeze of an ...
Thanks for your suggestions! 

1. This is the maximum screen size the Epson Moverio BT-40 offers. If it's too small, maybe the MAD Gaze Glow Plus will be the better option at the moment, offering a considerably larger Field of View (45° vs 34°) and thus a much larger screen.

2. Battery life isn't mentioned because these glasses actually don't have a battery. They're powered directly through USB-C (alt mode) by the connected device, and should draw less power than portable USB-C monitors used for MobileSheets. I've seen 1600x1200 USB-C glasses that only draw 5V 0.5A (the Shinecon AI08, which glasses sadly aren't transparent so useless in this case). Eventually a Qi wireless charging power bank could be used if supported by the phone (as the Huawei P30 Pro does for example).

3. That's an interesting option! I also thought of using a bluetooth remote button in the form of a ring, or a touchable fit band or smart watch. But ultimately the AR glasses themselve should offer a built-in solution: simple hand gestures or a touchable side.