• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sum of pages in titles
I know, I can add the page_order to the title. But this is not the same.
I have songs in Bb, C, and Eb-Version in one pdf. I now play only the Bb-Version, lets say, each version is two pages.
So I see Songname / 1,2 (or 1-2)
I would appreciate, if it was possible, to easily see on the first look, that this song has more than one key-version. Here f.i. Songname, 6.
(I know, I could select 1-6 in the order-tab, but that messes me up on stage)
When I open the song, then I know here exists also the C-Version for my guy at the guitar and the Eb-Version for the Alto-Sax
So, a 'pages'-field would be nice.
Thanks
TH
Why can't you just create separate entries into the multi version file ? (use the "Create snippet" option).
That eliminates the need for the making changes to the title display in MSP (and someone else is sure to want it in a slightly different mechanism from what you would like).
Each snippet could be put into a separate collection and/or could display the key in it's name.

Mike is supposed to be doing a versioning mechanism at some point (there are posts about it).  However, this won't be quick as he is creating an ipad version at the moment and, when that comes out, is likely to be giving it a lot of support until it is stable.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Why not just utilize a different field to store the pages? You could use custom or custom2, or if you want it to be an actual group type for some reason, you could use the Custom Group field and rename it to "Pages". Then just include that field with the song title.

Mike
(03-10-2022, 10:02 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Why not just utilize a different field to store the pages?

Thank you Mike
This would be a workaround, but a bad one, as the machine 'knows' this info. I don't like to do that work (for over 3000 files) manually for the machine.
BTW: the wonderful csv-Import-Function refers to the origin-import-document, that means, a song starts at page 265 and ends at 267, even if it just has only 3 pages. I am not sure, if this is, what the majority expects.
(03-10-2022, 10:00 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Why can't you just create separate entries into the multi version file ? (use the "Create snippet" option).

Thanks Geoff,
I am not sure what you mean: Do you propose, to put the Bb, C, Eb-Version in separate files?
Would be a solution, but makes the song-list even huger.
I'm still a little confused about what you are asking for and what you ultimately want to see. If you are just wanting to see the page order as part of the song title, you can do that already. Just enter %PAGE_ORDER% as part of the song title formatting string in the settings and it will display the page order for the song. If you want to see a list of files for each song, you can include %FILE_NAMES% or %FILE_PATHS% or %FILE_COUNT% if you just want to see the number of files. 

Mike
I'm suggesting that you have 3 pieces showing in the "Songs" display but they all point to the same physical file - just using different pages.
Include the key in the name of each title so that you can distinguish between the songs.

You can restrict the number of "visible" songs that you need to choose from by putting songs into different collections e.g an Eb collection or the name of th composer
As you may have many different keys, it might be easier to use the filter mechanism to restrict the songs you are selecting from; an easier solution might be to differentiate the songs by using different collection names e.g. composer, trumpet etc

Geoff
PS: you said that the 'machine "knows" this info.'
I don't believe this is true; as I understand it, MSP is just displaying the files - it doesn't know the content.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(03-10-2022, 06:05 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm still a little confused about what you are asking for and what you ultimately want to see. 
Maybe we do not understand each other, because I do not know exactly, how MSP works internally with the importet pdf-files. Does MSP save each pdf separately or does it save all the pdfs in one db?
Lets say, I import a set of Sax-Voices: Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari., each voice is two pages. So the pdf I import has 8 pages.
As I play only lets say the soprano, I set the pageorder to 1-2. I do not want to be bothered by page 3-8 when on stage. But the page 3-8 are in the system, arent they?
When I include the %PAGE_ORDER% into the title (what I do at the moment), the title shows me "Songx , 1-2". I cannot see, that the pages 3-8 are present in this pdf. (They are kind of hidden).  So I could help the man at the bari, who has forgotten to bring his notes this day, by printing page 7 and 8. But it is difficult for me to see, if I have the pages complete or if I just have my voice with me in this case.

Another example:
I have a song with words and chords. 2 pages. In the original pdf I have put some additional infos, like lead-sheets, history of the song or somewhat, lets say 3 further pages.
Again for stage I fix the page-order to 1-2. But so I cannot see, if this special song has additional infos or not, because I cannot see the full amount of pages of this song.

Hope, I could have made it clear
TH
(03-10-2022, 06:22 PM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: I'm suggesting that you have 3 pieces showing in the "Songs" display but they all point to the same physical file - just using different pages.
Include the key in the name of each title so that you can distinguish between the songs.

PS: you said that the 'machine "knows" this info.'
I don't believe this is true; as I understand it, MSP is just displaying the files - it doesn't know the content.

Thanks again Geoff.
1. Your suggestion is a way, no doubt. But it expands the song-list. (BTW: I suppose, creating different entries for the same file can be done with that "code-snippet"-tool? Did not try it so far, but will do...)
2. I just refer to the amount of pages of an imported pdf. The device should know this amount. I do not refer to the content of the pages...

TH
@Pflichtfeld: please send me a private message, maybe we can clarify a few things.
Your first language is also German, right?
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

So you are just wanting to see the number of pages in the PDF used by the song? I do store the total number of pages in the PDF in the database, so I could certainly update the code that formats the song title to support that field. A song can have multiple PDFs in it, so this option would print a comma-delimited list of the numbers of pages in each file used in the song.

Mike
(03-11-2022, 04:07 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: So you are just wanting to see the number of pages in the PDF used by the song?

Mike
Exactly. I would suggest, that you provide a field for users, to add this info to the title. That would be perfect!
Thanks for this wonderful app!
(03-11-2022, 12:02 AM)itsme Wrote: @Pflichtfeld: please send me a private message, maybe we can clarify a few things.

Sorry, geht nicht:
"You cannot use the private messaging functionality as it has been disabled by the Administrator."
Please see https://www.moonlightcrisis.de/impressum.html
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I disabled private messaging as some users reported receiving unwelcome messages from fake accounts. I can enable the private messaging if the majority would prefer having access to it, but I wanted to prevent these fake accounts from being able to contact users without ever having posted anything on the forum.

Mike