• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
import meta data from PDF
I know MSP can populate meta data when importing chord pro files.
I wonder if it would be possible to do the same when importing PDF files.

PDF files can have meta data attached, would it be possible to scan all meta data in the PDF and import any field which is known in MSP (tempo, key, etc)?
Adding support for importing metadata from PDFs is absolutely on my list of things to do. I just haven't had time to put in the necessary changes, as this needs to be something that can be done when files are first imported as well as at a later point in the song editor (i.e. to rescan for new metadata that may have been included with an updated version of a PDF).

Mike
(11-10-2021, 08:03 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Adding support for importing metadata from PDFs is absolutely on my list of things to do. I just haven't had time to put in the necessary changes, as this needs to be something that can be done when files are first imported as well as at a later point in the song editor (i.e. to rescan for new metadata that may have been included with an updated version of a PDF).

Mike

Hi Mike, is there any update with regards to this feature? 
Thanks and keep up the good work!
I'm getting close to releasing the iOS version, and then I'll finally start working off these feature requests. I know it's been a long time coming and I have a lot of features to deliver to users.

Mike
(08-31-2022, 05:03 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm getting close to releasing the iOS version, and then I'll finally start working off these feature requests. I know it's been a long time coming and I have a lot of features to deliver to users.

Mike

Thanks for the update Mike and congrats on getting close to an iOS release!

I'm considering building something myself just to support my case for now, it seems quite straightforward.

Can you confirm that to update the tempo, signature, key and artist of an existing song it's a matter of:
- find the right song id (id in Songs table)
- add / update record with that SongId in Tempos table (what does TempoIndex do, is that when multiple tempos are applicable?)
- find / add right id (with required signature) in Signature table
- add / update record in SignatureSongs table
- find / add right id (with required key) in Key table
- add / update record in KeySongs table
- find / add right artist (with required artist) in Artists table
- add / update record in ArtistSongs table

All dates are in epoch

Thanks!
That all sounds correct, and yes, the tempo index indicates what position the tempo should be shown in the dropdown when multiple tempos have been added in the metronome. If you run into any issues, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Mike
(08-31-2022, 05:18 PM)merijnb Wrote: I'm considering building something myself just to support my case for now, it seems quite straightforward.
Great idea ! I was considering investigating the same. Would this work on PC/Tablet ?
Has this happened yet? I use song sheets as much as possible but for some, I really need the sheet music, which means a PDF, which means sorting into collections, etc, by hand after importing. So I'm hoping there's a way to do it automatically. Soon, if not already.

Thanks for this app!!

Vicki
Yes, it was added in version 3.8.6. You'll find an option under Settings->Import Settings to automatically extract PDF metadata upon import, or you can manually extract the metadata on the files tab of the song editor.

Mike
Thank you! Now to figure out how to get the metadata IN the PDF files...doing my research. Big Grin
Hi Mike,

today I tried to use the Metadata for me. But I just get the Title to work.
How to get Setlists, Collections, etc. to work?

@CaliaMoko to add metadata to PDF-Files pdfmark with ghostscript are a good hint Wink
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions...y-pdf-file
As a side note, I don't currently export metadata into PDFs when using the sharing features - I'm adding that with the next update.

Mike
I found the following matches:

Title -> Title
Author -> Composers
Subject -> Genres

But I didn't find a way to set Collections, Setlists, Custom, etc. for now
I look for "Collection" and "Setlist" in the metadata, and I don't currently tokenize this, meaning you can't specify multiple values at the moment (this is something I can address if people care about that). The PDF library I'm using writes the PDF metadata under <pdfx:Collection>, <pdfx:Setlist>, etc, under the rdf: Description element. The XMP looks like this:

Code:
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.4-c006 80.159825, 2016/09/16-03:31:08        ">
  <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
            xmlns:pdfx="http://ns.adobe.com/pdfx/1.3/"
            xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/">
        <pdfx:Collection>TestCollection</pdfx:Collection>
        <xmp:ModifyDate>2023-07-04T13:12:51-07:00</xmp:ModifyDate>
      </rdf:Description>
  </rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

You can see I added TestCollection there. If you create the metadata in the same way using your tool, then MobileSheets should be able to read it. The other standard fields are not under pdfx which is why they work for you right now.

Mike
Hi Mike,
thanks for the explanation. I have to look, how to do it with pdfmark. Two questions:

Can you please share a pdf where these Tags are set?
You said, that you look for Setlist and Collection. So all other fields can not be set via metadata?
Is it planned? Especially „Custom“ I would like to see because I use this field for numeration.

Regards,
Stephan

For now I am simply using this:
https://milan.kupcevic.net/ghostscript-ps-pdf/#marks