• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upcoming certificate issue for FastSpring users on Windows devices
I want to provide a quick update to warn FastSpring customers who utilize the Windows version of MobileSheets about an upcoming issue. In order to distribute the Windows version of MobileSheets through my own store, I have to get a digital certificate which verifies my identity as a publisher. The certificate is issued through a third party company (in this case Sectigo) and has to be renewed every three years. The current certificate expires on November 16th, so I had to get it renewed, but this has caused a nasty issue: the details in the certificate have changed, and I'm unable (so far) to get Sectigo to change the certificate to match the old one. What this means is that, when I go to release a new update for MobileSheets through my FastSpring store, it will appear as if I'm a different publisher, so Microsoft chooses a different installation directory and treats the app as if it's completely new. While I'm still trying to prevent this issue, if I'm unable to get Sectigo to help me, my FastSpring users will have to install the new update, move their library between the two versions (which involves just copying the files from one folder to another) and then uninstall the older version. This is not something I can automate in code due to the way file permissions work in Windows. Users can also backup their library, uninstall the current version, install the new version once it's released, and then restore the library backup. I will most likely release an update for the FastSpring version warning users about this upcoming issue, and the fact that an automated update will not be possible this time around. I apologize to my FastSpring users for this inconvenience - it's really frustrating that I'm not really able to get help with this issue from either Sectigo or Microsoft, and it's my users who have to suffer as a result.

Mike
(11-10-2022, 05:17 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I want to provide a quick update to warn FastSpring customers who utilize the Windows version of MobileSheets about an upcoming issue. In order to distribute the Windows version of MobileSheets through my own store, I have to get a digital certificate which verifies my identity as a publisher. The certificate is issued through a third party company (in this case Sectigo) and has to be renewed every three years. The current certificate expires on November 16th, so I had to get it renewed, but this has caused a nasty issue: the details in the certificate have changed, and I'm unable (so far) to get Sectigo to change the certificate to match the old one. What this means is that, when I go to release a new update for MobileSheets through my FastSpring store, it will appear as if I'm a different publisher, so Microsoft chooses a different installation directory and treats the app as if it's completely new. While I'm still trying to prevent this issue, if I'm unable to get Sectigo to help me, my FastSpring users will have to install the new update, move their library between the two versions (which involves just copying the files from one folder to another) and then uninstall the older version. This is not something I can automate in codat the starte due to the way file permissions work in Windows. Users can also backup their library, uninstall the current version, install the new version once it's released, and then restore the library backup. I will most likely release an update for the FastSpring version warning users about this upcoming issue, and the fact that an automated update will not be possible this time around. I apologize to my FastSpring users for this inconvenience - it's really frustrating that I'm not really able to get help with this issue from either Sectigo or Microsoft, and it's my users who have to suffer as a result.

Mike
Thanks Mike, sorry to have to deal with this headache.
I followed the instructions and reinstalled. However, I keep getting the message when I launch MS.  Is this normal?
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
Did you download the app using the new link? The installer name has changed. Instead of installer.appxbundle, you now need to run mobilesheets.appxbundle. If you are still seeing the message with that installer, then that would definitely be strange... Let me know if that is the case.

Mike
Mike:

I'm having the same issue after these steps:
  • I backed up my database
  • I uninstalled MobileSheets
  • I entered the link
  • That downloaded and launched the installer: mobilesheets.appxbundle
  • I loaded my LIC file and reinstalled MobileSheets
  • I restored my database (Library)

When I relaunch MobileSheets I still get the ACTION REQUIRED pop-up.
(11-13-2022, 06:34 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Did you download the app using the new link? The installer name has changed. Instead of installer.appxbundle, you now need to run mobilesheets.appxbundle. If you are still seeing the message with that installer, then that would definitely be strange... Let me know if that is the case.

Mike

Mike, I re-installed again and the message keeps popping up.
Donner BT pedal
Sorry about this all - with all of the work on the iOS beta, I had uploaded the builds for Windows about 10 minutes before I had to leave for the airport, so I wasn't able to fully test everything, but if I didn't do something about the certificate issue, it would have expired on November 16th while I was still gone, and users would have had to no way of knowing why they couldn't update without contacting me directly. Please check something for me - is the installation directory now C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Zubersoft.MobileSheets_9fx6hze9e3cne? If so, then it's using the new certificate at least and the installation is correct. In that case, the "action required" message must have accidentally transferred between the two versions and I did not delete it before creating the new build. If the installation directory is still C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Zubersoft.MobileSheets_m0zk3axhy8w52, then that is a far worse situation as it would mean I uploaded the wrong installer. If the correct directory is in use, you can ignore the message and I'll put out a new build on Saturday when I return home to remove the invalid error message.

Thanks,
Mike
My installation is in the right directory (ending on 3cne), no worries ....  Have a good trip
Juan
Donner BT pedal
Thank you Juan - I really appreciate you verifying that for me. I'll let users know that they should ignore that message until I can release a new update.

Mike
Same location on my machine as well Mike.
Mike, the new license   mobilesheets.appxbundle   installer -- installed v 3.6.2 as the cert version
9fx6hze9e3cne  on my new PC.  The message about an upcoming certificate change,  that you placed in v.3.6.3., comes up on load still.

I was not sure if it was just me, as we had to force the original install with powershell.  Everything is removed now and if the "install 3 times limit" for the key is still in force then my key is likely dead.

Do well on your trip, we look forward to the new version release when you can get to it.

Regards
Tony
Version 3.6.2 is the correct version with the new installer. The message still comes up in new installer unfortunately, but that will be addressed with the next update. If you need a new license key in the next few days, let me know, otherwise by Saturday I can fix any license key issues.

Mike
I will definitely need a new license key.

Thanks,

Shem
I will need a new license key .

Thanks,
Shem
Shem,

I have sent you an email requesting some additional information. Please respond to the email.

Thanks,
Mike
(11-18-2022, 11:11 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Shem,

I have sent you an email requesting some additional information. Please respond to the email.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I checked my email InBox and Spam and can't find the email you sent.  

Thanks,
Shem