• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
source types in music?
I know: One can use the source type field as one likes.
But I wonder, what exactly is meant by 'source type' in music. Can someone give examples please?
I've only started using the "Sources" field recently (A bit confusing that it isn't called Source_types)

I have added things like "Do Not Use", "Needs Work", "Old Version" to the list of values (I haven't bothered deleting the default values)

In Settings| Library Settings, I have modified the caption format to be
%ARTISTS:$(VALUE) - %%ALBUM%
%SOURCE_TYPES%

"Show caption" and "Use formatted title for sorting" are both checked.

Doing this means that that I can now easily see the status of "iffy" songs from the song selection screens.
This saves time as I no longer need to open a song to see whether or not I can immediately use it (previously, I annotated the songs with this sort of information)

Obviously, you could put any other info you want in this field  e.g. "Trumpet" (not that I have one)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(03-10-2023, 08:52 PM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: I've only started using the "Sources" field recently (A bit confusing that it isn't called Source_types)

Obviously, you could put any other info you want in this field  e.g. "Trumpet" (not that I have one)

Thanks Geoff
1. according to https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/M...Pro-DE.pdf page 47 the field is actually called "source types". Maybe in your language in the app only 'source' is shown.
2. I know, one can do many things with this field. My question was what 'source type' generally means in music context.
I used a generic term, but the field is meant to track charts vs lead sheets vs sheet music vs guitar tablature, etc. It's a little different than just instrument, as with piano you could have sheet music (with staves, note symbols, timing, etc) vs just chords and lyrics. It's really just to track how the music is captured, arranged and presented. Having said that, you can use the field for whatever you would like.

Mike
Related question. Would it be a good place for a chart number that's sortable, displayable in lists and searchable? I use a custom field now.
Thanks Mike. Knowing your intention is satisfying.
No, I don't think I have an option to sort on source type at the moment. The custom or custom 2 fields are better for that.

Mike
Thanks
I've been using that field to keep track of where I got the song from. IMSLP, musicnotes.com, piano teacher, etc. I've been including the music format stuff in my Custom Group (Instruments). I'm looking forward to more custom groups for other stuff.
Sam

Surface Pro 7 with MSP
Btw: the field signatures should be named in the help-file as it is named in the app: "Taktarten". At the moment it is translated there with "Signaturen".
Thank you - I have updated the manual.