• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplicates in Setlists: Preventing and eliminating
Hi folks!

I frequently end up with duplicates in my setlists, but never want them. Here are a couple use cases:

1) I want to add everything from my Gig X Setlist to my Favorites Setlist. But some of them may already be favorites, and I don't want or need them to be re-added

2) In case there already are duplicates, I'd like an option to get them removed.

To be clear, I'm talking about exact duplicates. Not songs with the same names but which are not from the same book, nor the same PDF getting imported twice, which is an unrelated problem.

This is a big productivity challenge for me. 

Thanks in advance!
I would need to add a new feature to explicitly remove duplicates from a setlist, because users often do add the same song multipe times to a setlist which is a perfectly valid thing to do. One thing I might suggest if you need an immediate workaround is to add your setlists to a collection first, which won't allow duplicates, then you can just convert that collection to a setlist. It does require a few extra steps, but it would eliminate you having to remove the duplicates.

Mike
"Favorites" probably should better be a collection, not a setlist.
Sorting a setlist alfabetically helps a lot to sort out duplicates manually. The previous song sequence persists when you return to manual sorting
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Aha, okay! The differences between Collections and Setlists hasn't been entirely clear to me, and if the former prevents duplicates, then that may very well be the solution I need! I'll try it out!

Thanks!!
Collections have a single entry per song and are typically sorted A-Z. A song can only exist once in a collection (although it could be n multiple collections)
Set Lists are ordered lists (typically sorted as "Manual") and may contain, as you have found, the same song more than once. This allows playing the same song at different positions in yur performance.

itsme is suggesting that you still use a set list; you just temporarily sort it in A-Z order.
Having eyeballed and removed any duplicates, you then revert to a manual sort (this maintains your previous sort order - apart from not knowing which duplicate you removed)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(03-27-2023, 01:48 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: itsme is suggesting that you still use a set list; you just temporarily sort it in A-Z order.
Having eyeballed and removed any duplicates, you then revert to a manual sort (this maintains your previous sort order - apart from not knowing which duplicate you removed)

Geoff

Yes, thank you. 

I will definitely still use Setlists for playing gigs. But now that I understand some of the unique properties of Collections, I see that I should be using the latter to manage my ongoing groups of songs for different purposes.

So I just took the relevant setlists and migrated them to new collections, and, by comparing the number of songs in the setlist to the number migrated, I can see that they silently removed the duplicates in the process. 

This seems perfect. It's going to be a huge solution to effectively "merging" different groups of songs together, which I do a lot. Eg, "everything we played today was awesome; let me add them all to my favorites, but not twice if they're already in there". 

Thank you, all!!