• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setlist popup: strange "save" behavior
Hello again!

I'm not sure if this is a feature request, a bug report, or just personal training :-) 

This Setlist Popup is a handy way to edit a setlist while navigating the setlist. What I found after removing a bunch of songs using this popup was that they were still there when I came back later. Then I realized there's a little save/disk icon that I didn't know to click, and that's why my changes didn't get saved.

So! Lesson learned :-) 

- The feature request is that it would be nice to be prompted that I'm going to lose work if I don't click save. If I "left arrow" out of the setlist and then come back in, any changes I had made are gone, but I wasn't warned. I guess I could look elsewhere; maybe this behavior is consistent with other parts of the UI. But some places have a "Cancel", where I know my changes will be lost.

- This may not be a bug, but it's definitely odd. I noticed that closing the Setlist Popup DOES preserve the changes, even if I don't click Save. They are only lost after I "left arrow" out of the setlist. That seems odd since I already closed that popup without slicking save. It seems that if the changes are in the scope of the setlist itself, not just the setlist popup, then the save icon should be the setlist scope. Or, discard the changes as soon as the setlist popup is closed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
That window is mainly meant to be used to make temporary changes to a setlist. I think it would be a nuisance for most users if a prompt was displayed when they returned to the library screen, as most of the time they wouldn't want to save the temporary changes. However, if more users chime in that they would prefer either a prompt or an option to enable a prompt, I am not opposed to it.

As for your second comment, I'm not really sure I understand what you are recommending. The setlist window just shows you the current ordering of the songs in the setlist, lets you reorder and remove if desired, and save the changes if you so choose. Closing the window doesn't stop the setlist from being used, and it certainly wouldn't make sense to revert the setlist changes when the window is closed, because a user may temporarily modify the setlist, then play through it and they wouldn't want the setlist to revert just because they closed the window.

Mike
(03-26-2023, 05:33 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: That window is mainly meant to be used to make temporary changes to a setlist.

Oh, I never thought of that. That changes everything. I guess the way it works generally makes sense if the user understands that any changes made there are temporary. I didn't know that :-)  And for me, any changes I make to a setlist are always meant to be permanent, so the "temporary" feature is not for me. 

But I find this popup useful in order to make setlist changes while INSIDE the setlist. Let me explain a problem I face, and why this is currently my best way to handle it. If there's a better way, I'd love to know!

Very often -- like all the time -- I'm sorting through multiple versions of the same song from different Fake Books. If it were just a matter of finding the best one and adding it to my favorites, that would be easy. But I need to keep multiple versions in my favorites, because they have different applications: one shows the bass part, one might have the keyboard vamp, one might show the horn harmonies, one might just be overall simplest for most people, and I might want one in the other key since some tunes like Autumn Leaves are popular in two different keys. But they might all have the same exact name in their indexed books, such as Wave:

So every single gig I prepare for, I have to sort through my "short list" which still have many versions of Wave, and find the right one(s) to send to the band. Since they're all named "Wave", the only way I can tell which is which is to preview the actual sheet. So I start in my favorites setlist and go through one at a time until I find the one I want:

Then I want to add that to ANOTHER setlist, the one for the upcoming gig. But I don't see a way to easily do that from that page, so I have to back arrow back to the favorites setlist and try to remember which Wave I tapped on that I wanted to keep, and do it from there. But which one was I looking at?

Basically, I think what I wish I had was a way to move songs between setlists in a way that allows me to preview it before doing so. For it's weaknesses and its much weaker Library management features, iGigBook had a pretty flexible way of moving tunes between setlists; but it only allowed you to preview a large "thumbnail" of the song, so I had that problem there, too. 

Does this use case make sense? This is how I do everything. Maybe MS already has a feature I'm missing??

Thanks!!
You could try using the "Library Settings" "Song Title Formatting" option to display another field on song titles.
Having changed the display format, you can then use the field to display other information e.g. bass, vamp, "do not use" etc

While this doesn't give you a preview of the song, it should reduce the number of songs you have to "look" at as you gradually add information to the songs.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(03-27-2023, 01:56 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: …Having changed the display format, you can then use the field to display other information e.g. bass, vamp, "do not use" etc

This could suffice. Let me try it. Thanks!