• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Sheets Pro... or other
Sorry if this doesn't belong here,

So I'm kinda sorta maybe thinking I might decide to use a tablet for lead sheets. I'm kinda sorta an Android / Samsung kind of guy.

Looking around at various lead sheet apps Mobil Sheets Pro has come to my attention. I thought I would ask, this learned crowd, if anyone has experience with it. I mean it sounds like a good choice, but what do I know, I've never used one before...?

I like that the companion app allows you to manage your library on your PC, supports PDF, annotations, notes...

So if you have some knowledge about Mobile Sheets, I'd enjoy it if you shared your opinion of it... or even offer up an alternative that your think is awesome.

Thanks
lux
I've just bought MobileSheets Pro for my Samsung Tab S7+ and so far I'm thrilled with it. Before that, I was using MusicNotes, which is free but the annotations are limited and it will only take PDFs so scanning in new music at rehearsal was a bit awkward. That said, if you have your music in PDF format, either try using MusicNotes or the free version of MobileSheets to see how you like playing from a tablet. I find it really convenient and it's no more difficult annotating stuff on a stand than it is with a pencil - the advantage being you can remove/alter annotations in your own time.

The main alternative seems to be forScore, which is iPad only (so out for both of us).
Here's a review by an Ipad user, but he could be talking about the Android or Windows versions just as well. MobileSheets is pretty much the same across all three OS'es.

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/choosing-a-sh...ipad/21920
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
I've used MobileSheets for years as well as ForScore. Both are fantastic,  but MS wins for me for being much more intuitive to use and for being multi-platform.
Suggest you load the trial version of Mobile Sheets and see how you get on with it.
This is effectively the full version but limited to six songs (there may be a couple of other differences).

The support from the author (Mike) is brilliant and he is very responsive to questions and supporting new features

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(04-30-2023, 06:01 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: This is effectively the full version but limited to six songs (there may be a couple of other differences).

I think it times out if you have it connected to another device but otherwise it has full functionality (with limited songs, as you say).

Used it anger again last night at band rehearsal and it's really great if you have a stylus (I have a Samsung S-Pen)
I can't believe that Mike would have set the code to time out a connection (why would he bother when the rest of the code is full functionality and not everyone would use this feature anyway?) - I suspect this is more likely to be a connection problem.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Geoff,

The trial version does time out the connection. The sync library feature is also unavailable in the trial version. The reason for the timeout is one of my plans was to potentially allow files to be transferred to follower devices if their library doesn't have the file. So this would effectively allowed follower devices to load all of the files from another tablet without having to pay for the app. So I had put that limitation in place to prevent this (although I still don't support an option to send missing files). The trial version is really just mean to be used to test out the features, but many people seem to believe it is a free alternative to the paid version, which was never the intention. The limitations are just there to help push users to purchase if the app is providing them value, and the existing implementation still gives people the ability to test out the features enough before purchasing.

The alternative to all this would be to have a time-limited trial version. However, this would require significant changes to prevent abuse.

Mike
I stand corrected Mike.

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(04-30-2023, 04:43 AM)spandit Wrote: I've just bought MobileSheets Pro for my Samsung Tab S7+ and so far I'm thrilled with it. Before that, I was using MusicNotes, which is free but the annotations are limited and it will only take PDFs so scanning in new music at rehearsal was a bit awkward. That said, if you have your music in PDF format, either try using MusicNotes or the free version of MobileSheets to see how you like playing from a tablet. I find it really convenient and it's no more difficult annotating stuff on a stand than it is with a pencil - the advantage being you can remove/alter annotations in your own time.

The main alternative seems to be forScore, which is iPad only (so out for both of us).

My Samsung Tab S7+'s MobileSheets Pro has completely changed how I practice music. Particularly when compared to the restrictions of free programs like MusicNotes, it is highly practical. Annotating and managing PDFs is a breeze, making my music preparation much smoother. highly advisable. Confused
I've bought my wife an S7+ and she's installed Mobilesheets on it too - loving it so far