• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSP on Boox Max Lumi
Anyone using e ink readers. Currently using an iPad pro but willing to switch if the experience is the same (Minus color annotations).
There is an e-ink version of MobileSheets available here https://zubersoft.onfastspring.com/ that works really well with e-ink devices (especially the BOOX line of tablets). There are quite a few users utilizing the e-ink version, so hopefully a few users will share their opinions here.

Mike
I am using a BOOX Lumi2 for about 2 years now. And I like it. MSP Runs smooth and I am not missing colors. I also have a Windows tablet as a backup. But the BOOX fits better for my needs.

If you have questions, just ask

Regards,
Stephan
My quartet uses Boox Max 3 tablets. Had them for more than 3 years. Bought them to run MobileSheets. I initially tried the Android version of MS but the e-ink version works better.

I hadn't used a tablet for sheet music before that but quite a few of the players who've used our Boox tablets are coming from an ipad and it takes them a while to get used to the fraction of a second it takes to load a new page, although I think the newer Boox models are faster than the ones we have. E-ink is much better in bright ambient light than an ipad screen and much easier to look at for long periods if you're a bit tired.

When we first got them I used to make sure I had a paper version of any music we needed just in case something went wrong with a tablet but I haven't done that for a long time now. After hundreds of gigs the only problems we've had so far have been ... user error. I let one run out of battery once and a couple of times I've forgotten to upload a piece we needed.

My gig folders were already printed in black ink so not having colour hasn't been an issue.

I'd had my eye on e-ink tablets for a while but the earlier versions had really slow processors and used to freeze up quite easily and were still expensive. The Boox tablets were the first ones I came across that had decent processor speeds, memory and storage. I imagine there are others now but the Boox are very good.

Guy
Thank you all for all the replies, I will wait for Boox to release Max lumi 3 and give it a go.
(08-29-2023, 12:00 PM)Learux Wrote: Thank you all for all the replies, I will wait for Boox to release Max lumi 3 and give it a go.

Lawrie the newbie here:
I have just acquired a Boox Tab X.  I suspect this is the name of what you expect to be the Max Lumi 3

Mostly the same specs as the Max Lumi 2 with Android11 and 128Gb.

My only complaint so far is that it doesn't have a camera.  Kind of makes sense I guess as "who would want a black and white camera".  Well, I would so I can photograph music I haven't been able to load yet...
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
(08-26-2023, 12:33 PM)Oz Cello Wrote: My quartet uses Boox Max 3 tablets. Had them for more than 3 years.

Are connecting them in leader/follower setup? If yes Bluetooth or wifi?
What is the battery life with Bluetooth on?
(10-16-2023, 10:46 AM)otnt Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 12:33 PM)Oz Cello Wrote: My quartet uses Boox Max 3 tablets. Had them for more than 3 years.

Are connecting them in leader/follower setup? If yes Bluetooth or wifi?
What is the battery life with Bluetooth on?

They're almost always in leader/follower mode via bluetooth. We tried wifi once or twice and it works but I think used the tablet battery up more quickly, and we used my phone as the wifi hub and it really chewed through the phone battery. With connection via bluetooth they seem to use about 5% of the battery per gig (gigs are usually 1-1.5 hours but even for longer gigs they don't seem to use much more than that, at least that's my impression)
(10-17-2023, 11:41 AM)Oz Cello Wrote: They're almost always in leader/follower mode via bluetooth.
With connection via bluetooth they seem to use about 5% of the battery per gig (gigs are usually 1-1.5 hours but even for longer gigs they don't seem to use much more than that, at least that's my impression)
Thank you. That sounds like 20 hours of use per charge.
Does it include using the frontlight or no light at all?

What refresh mode do you use? Do you mind ghosting or is the page refreshed every time?

How is the writing speed when annotating in Mobilesheets?
The tablets I have are Boox Max 3 which have no frontlight (I think they were the last model without it).

Refresh mode is set to normal. I played with the modes when I first got them but normal works well so I've left it on that. I just had a look in the settings and it says that in normal mode it does a complete refresh every 20 operations and that it goes into X mode when scrolling. I almost always have MS set to single page which seems to make ghosting less likely. I just tried some vertical scrolling and you do get a bit more ghosting in the white areas than with single page but it's barely visible (ghosting is more obvious in dark areas but definitely not a problem). I thought I saw somewhere that it does a complete refresh with every page turn but messing around with it it looks more like it's doing a complete refresh each time I go to a new piece and not on page turns otherwise. I have a complete refresh set up on the navigation ball but I've never needed to use it.

I don't do a lot of annotating but the writing speed is close to instant. I think Mike mentioned that there are a couple of ways of implementing stylus writing with these tablets and that one of them is instant and the other isn't. I have a feeling that 'stylus mode' uses the instant one and that that's what I'm using. I just gave it a quick try and deselecting stylus mode did make the writing response slower.
You are correct - stylus mode turns on what BOOX calls "raw drawing mode" which stops the screen from refreshing, but flips pixels instantly when the stylus is moved across the screen. This gives the appearance of the writing occuring instantaneously. When "raw drawing mode" is exited, then MobileSheets will refresh the screen and redraw everything. 

Mike