• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Library Storage and ability to view on PC
I would very much like to see the ability to store songs on the pc in much the way one would keep music files in on itunes except for those they want to take with them. This storage library would basically replace the back-up feature, as you would already have all of your songs on your pc. I ran in to the problem of storage space because I am now using my tablet as a way of keeping a virtual library of all of my methods books for myself and my students, and being a percussionist with a thousand method books for every instrument... it didn't take long to run out of space.

In addition, the ability to easily view music on the computer without having to open up the file to edit would be equally useful. Basically, I'm wanting to see a full featured version of MobileSheets on the PC, and I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for the second program.
I definitely understand what you are saying about being able to use your PC as the storage location. However, changing to this model would not be a simple task. The current companion app is basically just an external viewer and editor for the tablet. I think in order to get it to be like iTunes, it would require rewriting most of the program. What I do right now is very simple - if a change is made on the PC, I make a change in the copy of the database on the PC and transfer that whole database back to the tablet. This is one simple, blunt command. If I want to have the PC capable of having its own database, and moving songs on and off of the tablet, it can't act that way. I would need to send a bunch of commands at a time over the network to have the tablet modify its own database. There are a whole slew of technical issues that go with this change. This would be a huge amount of work, and I would basically be doing it for free, unless I released a MobileSheets2 that had more capabilities such as that and required people to repurchase. That's not to say that I won't consider doing it, but there needs to be a huge amount of user interest in order for me to go down that path.

I used to have a PC version of MobileSheets (that's how it started), but at this point I would have to port everything back over again from Android. This is a huge amount of work. I don't have a good model for how to sell something on the PC side either. If it makes sense in the future, I can try going down this path.

I do appreciate all the ideas though. It's just hard to think about implementing such big things when I only do this on my free time, and I'm hardly making any money at all at this point. Creating an iTunes equivalent would take me at least 6 months unless I busted my butt every chance I got during nights and weekends (which I'm pretty much doing already anyways).
I've thought about this more and I think there is a middle ground where I can allow the MobileSheets Companion to create,edit and store songs on your PC, and once you connect to your tablet, you can copy/transfer these songs on and off your tablet. Each time you transfer a song from your local PC library to the tablet, it would essentially add a new song to the database (or update an existing if a match is found), and then completely replace the tablet database with the updated one from the PC. Likewise, if you transfer from your tablet to your local library, it would delete the song off the tablet, and either copy the song to the tablet, or update an existing match if one is found. This could also lead to a pseudo-sync mode where it would try to automatically identify which songs you've transferred from your PC library storage to the tablet, and see if any need updating. It obviously wouldn't be quite as transparent something like iTunes, as it requires more manual interaction, but it's still a step in the right direction without a ton of work for me, as it still uses my same basic model of completely replacing the database with each interaction. Once annotations is done, I'll move towards this as time allows.
I have been thinking from when I first downloaded MobileSheets that you should be able to use the companion to add, create, edit, etc songs, and then transfer from there onto the tablet when you connect it. So what you're suggesting here is definitely something I would be keen to see implemented. Annotations first though! Wink
(04-28-2012, 12:06 AM)cdawe55 Wrote: I have been thinking from when I first downloaded MobileSheets that you should be able to use the companion to add, create, edit, etc songs, and then transfer from there onto the tablet when you connect it. So what you're suggesting here is definitely something I would be keen to see implemented. Annotations first though! Wink

bump' that"s what i need

(04-28-2012, 12:06 AM)cdawe55 Wrote: I have been thinking from when I first downloaded MobileSheets that you should be able to use the companion to add, create, edit, etc songs, and then transfer from there onto the tablet when you connect it. So what you're suggesting here is definitely something I would be keen to see implemented. Annotations first though! Wink

bump' that"s what i need

bump' that"s what i need
(04-27-2012, 04:15 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I've thought about this more and I think there is a middle ground where I can allow the MobileSheets Companion to create,edit and store songs on your PC, and once you connect to your tablet, you can copy/transfer these songs on and off your tablet. Each time you transfer a song from your local PC library to the tablet, it would essentially add a new song to the database (or update an existing if a match is found), and then completely replace the tablet database with the updated one from the PC. Likewise, if you transfer from your tablet to your local library, it would delete the song off the tablet, and either copy the song to the tablet, or update an existing match if one is found. This could also lead to a pseudo-sync mode where it would try to automatically identify which songs you've transferred from your PC library storage to the tablet, and see if any need updating. It obviously wouldn't be quite as transparent something like iTunes, as it requires more manual interaction, but it's still a step in the right direction without a ton of work for me, as it still uses my same basic model of completely replacing the database with each interaction. Once annotations is done, I'll move towards this as time allows.

My thought is that a robust import and export feature would be enough most of us. Also Already use multiple backups from various dates in various folders. May be missing something but doesn't this accomplish most of the above?

(04-27-2012, 04:15 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I've thought about this more and I think there is a middle ground where I can allow the MobileSheets Companion to create,edit and store songs on your PC, and once you connect to your tablet, you can copy/transfer these songs on and off your tablet. Each time you transfer a song from your local PC library to the tablet, it would essentially add a new song to the database (or update an existing if a match is found), and then completely replace the tablet database with the updated one from the PC. Likewise, if you transfer from your tablet to your local library, it would delete the song off the tablet, and either copy the song to the tablet, or update an existing match if one is found. This could also lead to a pseudo-sync mode where it would try to automatically identify which songs you've transferred from your PC library storage to the tablet, and see if any need updating. It obviously wouldn't be quite as transparent something like iTunes, as it requires more manual interaction, but it's still a step in the right direction without a ton of work for me, as it still uses my same basic model of completely replacing the database with each interaction. Once annotations is done, I'll move towards this as time allows.

My thought is that a robust import and export feature would be enough most of us. Also Already use multiple backups from various dates in various folders. May be missing something but doesn't this accomplish most of the above?
I would like to see a choice where to read music from, like sdcard loaded with pdf's. When I import it says there's a choice between internal and sdcard. I don't see any evidence that the music is storing in the sdcard which is 32gigs as opposed to the 16 gig internal storage
If you are trying to use an external SD card, you need to set the removable directory in the settings. This will allow you to specify "Removable Storage", which can point to anything you want. External SD card paths are different for every tablet, so there is no way to determine this automatically. "SD Card" is known as "External Storage" in Google's API, which also points to a different path depending on the device you use. In the case of your tablet, it's pointing to your internal SD card, but in a directory that is accessible from a file browser (whereas internal storage is completely hidden from everything but MobileSheets). Let me know if you need more information on this.
Thanks I found it right after I sent this I couldn't find the sdcard in the explorer for me it /mnt/external_sd/whateverFolderCreated , once I chose that folder it shows on sdcard. GREAT PROGRAM, and I'm obviously still trying to figure it out. Thanks for the fast response that is always reassuring that I made a good investment with this program.
(07-09-2012, 08:57 AM)Zuberman Wrote: If you are trying to use an external SD card, you need to set the removable directory in the settings....

I was wondering when the app first launches after purchase, it could ask you if you want to use your ext. SD card where you have the choice to set it at that time (presumably with a message that you can do this later in Options.)
That's a great idea. I'll add that when I get a chance.

This would be a great feature! I would be willing to pay for such a more functional PC companion software.