• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crash when update is found
Hello,

I am using MobileSheets on a Boox Tab X, Android v11, MobileSheets v3.8.40.
I am experiencing a problem (I think it's happened about 3 times now?) where MobileSheets closes unexpectedly while I'm using it, returning me to the tablet home screen, and won't let me reopen the app for a minute or two. (When I tap the app icon to open it, nothing happens.) I think this has to do with the update process as then after a minute or two when it lets me reopen the app, it pops up the "would you like to install this update" window (or whatever the precise phrasing is, I forget).

1) Please help? Why does the app close? Does anyone else have this problem?
2) If I turn off the WiFi can I safely prevent this issue from occurring? For obvious reasons I'm scared to perform from my Boox when there's a chance it might randomly close and refuse to show me my music for at least a minute...

Thank you!
I did see that issue occur once on my BOOX Tab X, but I haven't had a chance to investigate or reproduce the issue yet. I can verify that if you turn WiFi off, no crashing occurs, so you can definitely do that before any performances.

Mike
Turn off auto update and install manually when you want?

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Geoff Bacon has the correct solution.  You should turn off automatic updates for any mission critical programs.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 

Some of my music here - https://www.soundclick.com/graemejaye
I think it's important to note that this is for the FastSpring/E-Ink version, which does not automatically install updates. It prompts you when an update is available. IngridNZ was saying that just having WiFi enabled, and the update being detected was enough for it to suddenly close the app. Restarting the app then displayed the prompt that an update was available. If WiFi is disabled, then this check won't be made, and the prompt won't be displayed. However, I need to see if I can find a way to reliably reproduce the issue where the app is closed. When it happened to me, the tablet did not indicate that the app crashed, which was weird. It was as if the OS just decided to close the app.

Mike
(05-29-2024, 12:46 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I think it's important to note that this is for the FastSpring/E-Ink version, which does not automatically install updates. It prompts you when an update is available. IngridNZ was saying that just having WiFi enabled, and the update being detected was enough for it to suddenly close the app. Restarting the app then displayed the prompt that an update was available. If WiFi is disabled, then this check won't be made, and the prompt won't be displayed. However, I need to see if I can find a way to reliably reproduce the issue where the app is closed. When it happened to me, the tablet did not indicate that the app crashed, which was weird. It was as if the OS just decided to close the app.

Mike

Yes, I also got no indication that it had crashed; MobileSheets just closed and wouldn't re-open for a little bit.
(05-29-2024, 12:46 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I think it's important to note that this is for the FastSpring/E-Ink version, which does not automatically install updates.

OK -there was no indication of which version the OP was using.  For those sources which can auto-update, I think the advice given by Geoff and myself is valid.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 

Some of my music here - https://www.soundclick.com/graemejaye
Update: this crash happened to me again yesterday but there was no update prompt when the app reopened. I don't know what that means, but hope the info is helpful!