• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug: Song title wrong after import
I use a small program I wrote to strip some text from the file name of the pdf to insert into the Artist metadata. When I import the file, the artist gets updated, but the title of the song is incorrect.

Original:
File name: 99 Years - JD Crowe.pdf
Metadata Title: Microsoft Word - 99 Years - JD Crowe.doc
Metadata File Name:  99 Years - JD Crowe.doc 

Running my program:
Rename the file to "99 Years.pdf"
Run the command exiftool -Artist="JD Crowe" "99 Years.pdf"

After processing:
File name: 99 Years.pdf
Metadata Title: Microsoft Word - 99 Years - JD Crowe.doc
Metadata File Name:  99 Years.pdf
Artist: JD Crowe

I import the file to my Android tablet. When it displays the "Import Settings" dialog box where is asks how to title the import, it shows "99 Years" in the title field. That's what I want. However, when I select OK and the import is complete, the song in the library has the title "Microsoft Word - 99 Years - JD Crowe.doc", not "99 Years.pdf". It seems to be taking the title from the metadata Title field, not the name of the incoming pdf file nor the metadata File Name field.

I can easily modify my program to change the metadata Title field, but this MS behavior seems like a bug that you should be aware of.
This has been reported before, and the extraction of the PDF metadata overrides any selections related to the title. That's by design at the moment. I will have to add a new setting to let users control that. So it's not a bug, just more confusing behavior when the PDF metadata extraction is enabled.

Mike
Got it. I fixed the issue by changing the metadata title.