• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setlist sorting
So, likely this should fall under "goofy user query about a peculiar feature," but ...

It would be convenient (but not really any more important than that) for me to be able to sort a setlist based on the SONG_ID rather than the TITLE.  I don't see how to do that.  Is it possible?

While I'm at it ( Rolleyes), an apparent nit to pick on the "Select Sort Method" UI that arose as I was experimenting with selecting the sort method ...

What triggers the sort to happen is clicking one of the radio buttons (A-Z, Shuffle, Manual, etc.).  But if you just want to switch either from or to "Ascending" by checking that box, it doesn't trigger the re-sorting -- you then have to click one of the radio buttons, even if it's the one that is currently selected (and perhaps just clicked before proceeding below to select or deselect "Ascending").

I can understand why/how this occurs (and the coding logic behind it), but selecting/deselecting "Ascending" should itself throw an exception that will trigger the resorting as a radio button does:  if all I want to do is to change is the order, I shouldn't have to take the unnatural and unexpected step of clicking on an already selected radio button for the type of sort.  (An easy way out for coding would be to have two radio buttons -- for "Ascending" and "Descending", which also makes things more explicit.)

The "Select Sort Method" dialog is also a bit odd in that you can't cancel out of it:  the only way out is to select (or re-select) one of the methods, and this isn't immediately obvious to the user.
------------------
Gary H. Merrill
It would be convenient (but not really any more important than that) for me to be able to sort a setlist based on the SONG_ID rather than the TITLE.  I don't see how to do that.  Is it possible?

Go to Settings->Library Settings->Song Title Formatting, make sure "Use formatted title for sorting" is checked, tap the title format field and then change the title format to have %SONG_ID% at the start (tap the three buttons under YEARS and tap Song ID to insert this), and then go back to the library screen. All of your songs should be sorted based on the song ID at the start. Just be aware that song ID is not just a piece of metadata - it has very significant impacts when using features such as library synchronization, "Connect Tablets" or when importing/exporting .msf files. This only matters when working with other musicians.

While I'm at it ( [Image: rolleyes.gif]), an apparent nit to pick on the "Select Sort Method" UI that arose as I was experimenting with selecting the sort method ...

What triggers the sort to happen is clicking one of the radio buttons (A-Z, Shuffle, Manual, etc.).  But if you just want to switch either from or to "Ascending" by checking that box, it doesn't trigger the re-sorting -- you then have to click one of the radio buttons, even if it's the one that is currently selected (and perhaps just clicked before proceeding below to select or deselect "Ascending").

That's actually already fixed for version 3.9.0. The update has quite a few bug fixes in it, but it's all just been waiting on the companion app update along with some code that still needs to be fully ported and tested on Windows and iOS.

The "Select Sort Method" dialog is also a bit odd in that you can't cancel out of it:  the only way out is to select (or re-select) one of the methods, and this isn't immediately obvious to the user.

Is this on Android? I just tapped outside the dialog on my Android device and it dismissed the dialog. You can also just hit the tablet back button.

Mike
Okay, you've got me on that ...  Rolleyes  This was in the Chromebook instance -- which I know doesn't work fully (and probably doesn't benefit from some updates to the other instances, I would assume).

Your directions for sorting on the SONG_ID and using an ascending numerical sort seem to work fine.  Thanks.
------------------
Gary H. Merrill