• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 11 Keeps losing Connection
Hi, 

I had a problem where I was switching between Android and Windows. Windows would loose connectivity to the Genos 2. 
I had the Midi Device set to Genos, PSR-SX600/700/900
   and it seemed to work for a while. I went on holiday, but it has again become very intermittent.
     I get errors such as link failures, or connect your keyboard first.

In Configure Midi Connections
   I have ticked all 4 boxes 

Input devices
      2-Digital Keyboard [0][0]
      2-Digital Keyboard [1][1]
    Output Devices
      2-Digital Keyboard [2][0]
      2-Digital Keyboard [3][1]

If someone has a Genos 2 working reliably with Windows, please would you let me know what your device and connections are set to. (There is one that mentions Korg)

Second Issue - (When switching sheets works)
Smart Buttons will still not connect at all - though they used work. When you try listening, it just says link failure.  

I am really stuck. 

Thanks

- Andy
Is the connection over bluetooth or USB? I just want to verify that before trying to provide ideas.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike, 
This is USB.

Back to not communicating at all again. However, VanBasco plays through the Genos 2 with Output Device: MidiOut2 (Digital Keyboard)

When the link works at the page level - it will read the registration and button. Specifically:
  • the existing smart buttons don't work
  • new buttons when listening get a link failure message

Found a problem at sheet level when there is no communication: Configure Midi Connections lost all the 4 ticks. Ticked them all again and it works at page level again. 
I have seen that more than once now - Need to figure out why.  Restarted MobileSheets and they were all still ticked. Restarted windows - all reset again Sad 

Regarding the smartbuttons: I wonder if I set the smart buttons up on Android and then pulled the backup over to Windows. Not sure why it would it allows page level, but not smart button level connectivity. 

Thanks 

- Andy
Without knowing more, it sounds like the some of the MIDI identifiers are changing every time you reboot your device, so MobileSheets doesn't automatically connect (requiring you to go check the 4 boxes again). If that's what is happening, that's definitely problematic, and very strange, as USB device identifiers don't typically change like that. It would be really helpful if you can try a few things for me. First, try going to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState, open the defaults.xml file and delete the default_midi_input_ids and default_midi_output_ids entries. If this is overly complex, just send the file to mike@zubersoft.com and I'll update it for you. This will clear out any saved MIDI devices in the settings. I then want you to go through the testing again to see if there is any change. If not, it might be a good idea to backup all your application data (copy the LocalState folder somewhere safe), then uninstall, reinstall and put the LocalState folder contents back. I just want to know if this has any impact on the MIDI connection.

Mike
Hi Mike, I cleared the midi ports and reconfigured. 
I did an uninstall and new download, copied back the defaults.xml without any ports and reset them. That is as far as I got as the last library update (which I thought was automatic) was lost. I need to set up a new test. Not so well so please bear with me. 
-Andy
(08-25-2024, 08:07 PM)AndyT Wrote: Hi Mike, I cleared the midi ports and reconfigured. 
I did an uninstall and new download, copied back the defaults.xml without any ports and reset them. That is as far as I got as the last library update (which I thought was automatic) was lost. I need to set up a new test. Not so well so please bear with me. 
-Andy

Hi Mike
Everything works at page level 0 linking to Genos 2, switching sheets etc. The buttons are not working and it is not possible to program a new one. Clicking the llink results in Link Failure as shown in the picture. 
Thanks
- Andy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Let me ask this - if you go to the MIDI tab of the song editor (just tap New on the Songs tab and go to the MIDI tab) and tap the link icon there, does the same error occur? I just want to confirm this isn't related to the smart buttons dialog.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike
I created a new song and attached the screen shot to make sure I did exactly what you want. 
No issues with anything at sheet level - only with the smart buttons. 
Is there anything I can use to intercept the midi signal? 
- Andy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Seems like a bug with the smart button window then. I'll have to review the code for it. You can manually create the same message in the smart button window without using the linking feature, but it will be quite tedious to manually type in the system exclusive message. That may be the only workaround though.

Mike
Hi Mike, 
I had some smart buttons done on android and copied the library back to windows, coding the smart button won't work.
Thanks for your help. 
- Andy
When you say "coding the smart button won't work", what exactly do you mean? The linking feature is just creating system exclusive messages, so if you manually create those, it should do the exact same thing. Or are you saying the linking feature doesn't even work for you if you use it in the song editor? You said it created the MIDI commands, but are you saying that, even after doing that, if you load the song the keyboard won't respond to the messages being sent?

Mike
(08-27-2024, 04:11 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: When you say "coding the smart button won't work", what exactly do you mean? The linking feature is just creating system exclusive messages, so if you manually create those, it should do the exact same thing. Or are you saying the linking feature doesn't even work for you if you use it in the song editor? You said it created the MIDI commands, but are you saying that, even after doing that, if you load the song the keyboard won't respond to the messages being sent?

Mike

Hi Mike, 
Loads more testing...

Windows 10 has the same behaviour as Windows 11 - (still using USB). Page level - all ok. Smart buttons not working in either direction whether precreated on Android or manually coded (copied from page level). 

Click on a smart button that was created and works on Android, or copied manually from page level - nothing happens on the Genos. 
Try to set up a new smart button... menu | + | USB link > it does not see anything from the Genos. 

So smart buttons are not Hearing or Talking to the Genos, but page level works. I can't see a work around and the wife has assumed ownership of the Android.  

Hope this helps
- Andy
Hi,

I just wanted to add the behaviour I am seeing with my setup, ( Genos 1, Windows 11, MobileSheets 3.8.43, USB MIDI connection between Windows pc and Genos.
I had never ever used smart buttons before, but my system was set up to use the smart link feature, between songs and segistration files (called page level or song switching higer up in this thread)

I added a smart button and opened the listening dialog. When playing notes on Genos, nothing appeared in the listening dialog (which is normal in my setup as the MIDI configuration of Genos is set up in that way) but when I loaded a registration file manually on Genos, the corresponding sysex message appeared in the listening dialog in MS. I then saved that systex message to the smart button. 
And now whenever I press that smart button that registration file gets loaded on Genos.

So everything seems to work fine here ....

I have only one input and one output device selected in the midi setup of MobileSheets (not sure if that makes a difference)
It probably will not change anything but Yamaha offers a MIDI driver for Windows for the Genos on their website. I do not have it installed either (as everything seems to work fine without it for me).
As far as I know there were no issues reported on Genos 2 in regards to USB MIDI. There was/is a Genos 2 issue with bluetooth MIDI but that should have no effect here.

Rudy
Hi Rudy
Please can you let me have your midi setting (Genos etc) and channels that you are using on mobile sheets. It might be that the smart buttons are getting confused by having everything ticked.....
- Andy
I just did a test with the factory supplied 'all parts' midi template on Genos 1, and the button and it's listening function keep working in MS. So you could temporarily switch to that template  for testing if you would like to rule out a Genos MIDI setting.

Nothing special in MobileSheets settings. Device is set to Genos, and the default channel 1 is still used. The most important difference is the fact that I have only one input and one output device selected and you have selected two in each direction.

When I switched from Android to Windows for running MobileSheets, I also had some strange effects in regards to MIDI. The culprit in my case, was the USB hub I was using between Genos and the PC. Once I replaced that, all was fine. If you are using a USB hub as well, I suggest removing it temporarily to test.
Are you sure the USB cable you are using is fine ?

Rudy