• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
abc import fail on 3.9
I just installed 3.9 on my surface pro. Attempting to import abcs fails predictably (see attached screenshot). Is there anything that needs to be done to enable abc support? Any chance to get more precise info on what fails?

Thanks!

Edit: importing pdfs works fine as before, everything else also appears to be the same as before. There are no log entries in the Windows application log that may hint to a problem source.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Please provide one of the abc files and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks,
Mike
(09-27-2024, 03:36 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Please provide one of the abc files and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks,
Mike

I had to rename the file to .txt because the forum software does not allow attachments with the .abc extension, please rename.

However, in my case not a single abc file works, and some are taken unmodified from the internet, so I do not believe it is related to th abcs themelves.

Thanks!

Attached Files
.txt   alaistair_o_the_dun.txt (Size: 349 bytes / Downloads: 7)
It appears to be an encoding issue. Your file is encoded with UTF-8-BOM, but if I change it to just UTF-8, it works perfectly. So I'm going to have to modify the code to detect the encoding, and remove the BOM before feeding it to the underlying library.

Mike
(09-27-2024, 08:08 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: It appears to be an encoding issue. Your file is encoded with UTF-8-BOM, but if I change it to just UTF-8, it works perfectly. So I'm going to have to modify the code to detect the encoding, and remove the BOM before feeding it to the underlying library.

Mike

Thanks, but that does not solve the problem - after removing the BOM from the file, I still get the same error.

did you verify that the file did not load WITH the BOM?

EDIT: I played around with this a little more. Not even the minimum .abc as attached (again, please rename) will load, and there is nothing in the application log that hints towards it.

Attached Files
.txt   a1.txt (Size: 85 bytes / Downloads: 7)
Yes, it loads just fine (I've attached the image for it as rendered in MobileSheets) Very strange that this did not load for you. I'll try reinstalling the app through the Microsoft Store just to verify there isn't some weird issue related to that.

Mike

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I just installed MobileSheets through the Microsoft Store, imported your file, loaded it and it displayed without issue. Which model of surface pro are you using?

Mike
(09-28-2024, 08:08 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I just installed MobileSheets through the Microsoft Store, imported your file, loaded it and it displayed without issue. Which model of surface pro are you using?

Mike

Device name RAc-tablet
Processor Intel® Pentium® CPU 4415Y @ 1.60GHz  1.61 GHz
Installed RAM 8,00 GB (7,89 GB usable)
Device ID 2991C2FF-A6F5-4B3D-B1FF-D54CAF36DDC2
Product ID 00356-05754-08983-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎16/‎09/‎2020
OS build 19045.4894
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19060.1000.0

type is surface go.
This might sound like a weird question, but if you rotate your device into landscape and try to import the file again, does it succeed? There is a limitation with the abc library where it can fail if the provided width is too small, so I just want to check this.

Thanks,
Mike
For what it's worth.

I tested the 2 ABC I provided on my iPad.

How can you leave me imported fine (in vertical mode)

Blue turning grey failed as before in vertical as well as rotated to landscape mode.
Okay, thanks. So there is something else going on there. I may just wait to see if I can get abc2svg integrated before pursuing this further.

Mike
(09-29-2024, 04:20 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: This might sound like a weird question, but if you rotate your device into landscape and try to import the file again, does it succeed? There is a limitation with the abc library where it can fail if the provided width is too small, so I just want to check this.

Thanks,
Mike

portrait or landscape does not make a difference.

Please do not treat this with a high priority. Eventually I need to run this on my Ebook reader (to which I do not have access right now), and I know there are some hidden funky issues with my Surface tablet (PlayScore doesn't work on it either), so if I get it to work on the Ereader and no one else reports severe problems with the Windoes version, we can just file this as "one of these things." 

Thanks for your impeccable support!
Hi Mike. 3.9.3 arrived in the MS Store so I could try the problematic ABC files on my Surface Book again.

They imported fine now, but they don't render in the app. I only get the turning blue circle forever. 

I tried several files. For all of them importing worked (with the exception of one which failed to import as before) but they didn't display.
I'll try on Monday how it works on my other Win10 PC.
Are you utilizing files that contain commands not supported by the older abc library? I still think we are going to have to wait until I've integrated abc2svg so that your files will load properly.

Mike
Hi:

On Windows 10 Pro with Mobilesheets 3.9.3: also no .ABC file render. Just turning circle forever...

Thanks,

Todd