• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Large screen tablets
Has anyone got advice on buying Tablets with screen size 11" or greater. My eyes aren't good at reading scores on small screens.

Anyone heard of this tablet? Hannspree launches a 13-inch tablet on a 7-inch budget http://betanews.com/2013/11/12/hannspree...ch-budget/

In the past I have bought cheap tablets that have proved unreliable so I am a little cautious about wasting money again.
I am starting with the 13" Hannspree.
http://janmaterne.wordpress.com/2013/12/...valuation/
The Colorfly, shown in my signature, has proved to be excellent for use with MS - available from Amazon and other vendors.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I use a 7" tablet which has hdmi output. When I want a larger screen I just connect it to any hdmi capable monitor or tv and it's large enough for the entire band. I generally use a 23" monitor sitting in a guitar stand at floor level but I have used a 55" tv with excellent results. Of course, I am using landscape orientation. If using portrait orientation it might be a little more difficult to turn a big screen.
Tablet: dopo EM63 w/Android 4.2.2
Pedal: Tatoo pedal wired through the usb interface board from a busted keyboard and connected using an OTG cable.
Mount: Manos Mount on a sawed off tripod mic stand.
(12-27-2013, 09:49 PM)Jan Wrote: I am starting with the 13" Hannspree.
http://janmaterne.wordpress.com/2013/12/...valuation/

Many thanks for your very useful blog evaluation.

It gives me the confidence I need to buy a large tablet for MS.

Will sort it all out in the new Year

(12-29-2013, 10:02 AM)bobrhett Wrote: I use a 7" tablet which has hdmi output. When I want a larger screen I just connect it to any hdmi capable monitor or tv and it's large enough for the entire band. I generally use a 23" monitor sitting in a guitar stand at floor level but I have used a 55" tv with excellent results. Of course, I am using landscape orientation. If using portrait orientation it might be a little more difficult to turn a big screen.

Thanks for a really intriguing idea. Could be useful for all sorts of things as well as MS.

I will use MS for playing piano - I think a slim tablet in place of conventional sheet music will be best for that use.
As a pianist, I guess you would really like to see two pages, side-by-side. Although MS doesn't actually do this, it is a feature planned for future release.

Give that feature, even a 13" would prove too small for many users and you might like to consider something even larger, such as this - http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/acer-all-in-one/ - I understand that other manufacturers are also going to add larger screen models to their line.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I am piano/keyboard player. I guess the more pages you could see at the same time, the better. But, there are trade offs in terms of the size of the tablet you would need, the stand for the tablet (especially if you are using a digital piano), the cost of the tablet, the state of programming of software for two pages at a time (I think MS is not optimized at this time for two pages at a time).

I am pretty happy with my 13.3 screen tablet. (I sometimes have to view it over two keyboards). Not perfect, but surely beats trying to turn pages of charts.

The good news there are more and more 13 inch tablets at reasonable prices. I bought the Toshiba Excite 13.3 when it was considered some type of strange novelty (and the critics seem to be tough on the large screen tablets, while many user seem to love them). It is now discontinued.

My guess 13 inch screen tablets will become the norm for reading sheet music because it can show full-sized paper (and foot pedals allow you to turn pages without too much difficulty---much easier than turning real pages).

I recently received a Hannspree 13.3 tablet. I have to say so far its great. The screen dimensions are better for reading sheet music than the Toshiba Excite 13 (which has been discontinued anyway).
[quote='jeffn1' pid='3418' dateline='1388351779']
I am piano/keyboard player. I guess the more pages you could see at the same time, the better. But, there are trade offs in terms of the size of the tablet you would need, the stand for the tablet (especially if you are using a digital piano), the cost of the tablet, the state of programming of software for two pages at a time (I think MS is not optimized at this time for two pages at a time).

I am pretty happy with my 13.3 screen tablet. (I sometimes have to view it over two keyboards). Not perfect, but surely beats trying to turn pages of charts.

The good news there are more and more 13 inch tablets at reasonable prices. I bought the Toshiba Excite 13.3 when it was considered some type of strange novelty (and the critics seem to be tough on the large screen tablets, while many user seem to love them). It is now discontinued.

My guess 13 inch screen tablets will become the norm for reading sheet music because it can show full-sized paper (and foot pedals allow you to turn pages without too much difficulty---much easier than turning real pages).

I recently received a Hannspree 13.3 tablet. I have to say so far its great. The screen dimensions are better for reading sheet music than the Toshiba Excite 13 (which has been discontinued anyway).
I have the HP Slate 21 which is a 21" tablet. Cost from HP about £200
I use a 10 inch Asus which works well for me. Since I wear bi vocals I sometimes find that without glasses I read better at very close distances. Oddly at close distances an 8 inch tablet might work about as well. Mileage may vary. I have noticed that in band band pictures the tablet looks much better than the old music stand.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
I too have recently bought the HP Slate 21. It was less than £200 delivered next-day direct from HP. I can't believe the price for such a large screen tablet. The screen is bright, and high-resolution so there is no problem reading two sheets of music side by side on the screen - which is what I wanted. Very few page turns now required for the stuff I play.
At present mobile sheets doesn't support displaying two pdfs side by side, so I have just used my Nexus 5 phone and a pdf-producing app called MDScan to make a single pdf of pairs of sheets.
The only downside is that the tablet is as large as an opened music book, but unlike the book, doesn't fold for transport ! However, you only need one.
If you have an enormous amount of scanned music, you might need to add extra SD card or USB stick memory. The Slate 21 comes with just 8 Gb of internal memory, although the PRO version ( £90 more ) has double this and also HDMI output.
Vintage Mark
I have recently received my Hannspree 13.3" and I am very pleased with it. I am only using it for my music files. I bought on Amazon for less than $200. Less than a week later the price had jumped up more than $80! Apparently they change vendors frequently so don't wait when you find a good price as it may not last long. Good luck.
I purchased two 13" Hanspree's and returned them both. The first wouldn't charge beyond 30% and the second one kept changing from landscape to portrait mode for no particular reason. Hanspree support was pretty bad. So needless to say, I won't buy another of this model. Thank goodness Amazon had no issues refunding my monies immediately. The price was cheap and you do get what you pay for. But I only wanted it to run Mobilesheets. The screen resolution was mediocre and the viewing angle was not great but if the devices had worked, I still would have kept one of them.

But I did have a chance to play with it a bit with MobileSheets on it. The 13" screen pretty much allows for a standard 8x11 page which is wonderful for my aging eyes. I'm currently using a 10" Asus Transformer which works really well but the bigger screen has definitely been calling to me. I did get Bluetooth running on them without any problems. I think I'll be waiting for all the new 13" models that will probably be out by Xmas. I'm thinking the 21" screens are a bit bigger than what I want altho having 2 pages up at the same time would be nice!
That's too bad. So far I am happy with the Hannspree. The one weakness is the battery does not last very long. So, for now on I am I will keep it plugged in during my gigs (everything else has to be plugged in, so one more thing to plugged in should not be a big deal).

(07-11-2014, 07:22 AM)Kathi Wrote: I purchased two 13" Hanspree's and returned them both. The first wouldn't charge beyond 30% and the second one kept changing from landscape to portrait mode for no particular reason. Hanspree support was pretty bad. So needless to say, I won't buy another of this model. Thank goodness Amazon had no issues refunding my monies immediately. The price was cheap and you do get what you pay for. But I only wanted it to run Mobilesheets. The screen resolution was mediocre and the viewing angle was not great but if the devices had worked, I still would have kept one of them.

But I did have a chance to play with it a bit with MobileSheets on it. The 13" screen pretty much allows for a standard 8x11 page which is wonderful for my aging eyes. I'm currently using a 10" Asus Transformer which works really well but the bigger screen has definitely been calling to me. I did get Bluetooth running on them without any problems. I think I'll be waiting for all the new 13" models that will probably be out by Xmas. I'm thinking the 21" screens are a bit bigger than what I want altho having 2 pages up at the same time would be nice!
I've jumped straight into MS with a new HP slate 21". I play piano and was done with printing sheets when I bought music, had a go with the iPad1 but struggled with the small (for me) screen size. Have just got a scythe usb pedal to turn my pages, quite a mechanically noisey pedal for what's sold as 'silent version' I went for it over the cheaper 3 pedal ones as it has 2. Anyway not much to tell regarding the HP as i'm still discovering it. Seems to crash a bit with large PDF books i've downloaded or if i zoom sometimes so yet to understand that properly - but display wise at 21" i'm smitten for £200 new, slightly less so with the 'silent' pedal.
I have had two Hannspree 13.3" tablets for more than a year, and have had no problems with either of them (I need a backup system). They work great! I have a half-dozen PDF vocal scores > 100 pages, and have never seen a crash.