• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheets on E-Ink-Display
I would love to order too.
I'm not going to because:
- Onyx Max has no touch screen, stylus only
- Netronix has no Bluetooth
Apparently the annotations are sluggish on the Onyx Max (all third party applications seem to suffer from this delay while writing/drawing). They may have some kind of internal API that can help with this, but it would mean having to write code specifically targeted for that one device, which I try to avoid doing. This is just what I heard from a user, so I'll be interested to hear if other users have a similar experience.

Mike
Onyx Max has arrived.
First impressions:
- Size is wonderful. If you cut very little of the edges, nobody needs, it is perfect DIN A4.
- Music I have scanned in grey is too light, (still readable), Black&white is good and clear, but not as brilliant as e-books (of course). And you definitely need good light. (I'm spoiled by tablets ;-))
- Turning pages is slow, half a second, but still managable wtih quick music, I think. And there will  be an update soon to this subject.
- Cicada should work, (customer's service told me so),  I will ask a friend to try soon. Airturn PED, Airturn BT 105 was not found by the Onyx up to now. Also my USB foot switch by Scythe is not found up to now, also not working up to now, a laser presenter stick (which I can use  with a USB-receiver device at the tablet). I am working on that, asking the customer's service.
- MS works well. Little problem on the page Properties: the page is normally in black with white text on my tablet. Onyx :The right column has changed the colours to white background and black text. The left column    does not. It is white with white text. You can read it only when you go over it with the pen.
- I don't know whether I will be able to zoom. I think not. But I can cut so that the pages fit optimally. This works different with an ebook, and I have to experience what is possible.
-Colours: green highlighter of MS is a good grey background on Onyx. Yellow highlighter is bad, it lightens very much, either you don't see only the yellow, or you can't read nothing at all.
-Writing with the pen works very good. You can write small and precise, fingerings e.g.
- little handicap: on/out switch is on the bottom. ...One must be careful, and one must put something underneath when you put it on a stand. But this is solvable.
- Sound is "okay", metronome is good.
- Onyx with MS works perfect for singing. You can hold it, it is very light, and you can turn pages with the buttons at the bottom.

Next steps:
My husband will use it for singing and likes it very much, I will try it with Cicada at the piano.
So far up to now
MelBonis
Content with: Blaupunkt Endeavour 13.3, Airturn Duo (august 2020)

Onyx Book Max:
Page flip Cicada is found after reset and works well. Book Max is a slower than my tablets, but still okay.
One can switch to another mode, how Book Max is loading pages. Then it turns pages really very fast, but you can still see a very light shadow of the one page before. I choose this mode for quick pieces.
I think the promised quick turning pages will really happen with the next update.

Disadvantages of Book Max:
- It is not comfortable to adjust the pages to the screen. No zoom. One must take care when scanning (best: scan all pages in the same size and cut all pages at once together) or you have to cut each page separately afterwards.

- You need a lamp or very good light. I am spoiled by tablets. Especially the samsung of my friend is so brilliant.

- No touchscreen,missing my finger as backup for turning pages etc. but well, one certainly needs to get used to the different system of an ebook. There are buttons at the bottom for turning forward and backwards,but which is certainly not as easy to hit as a touchscreen.

- On/Out on the bottom. I always forget that and put Ebook Max down on the stand without thinking.

Advantage:
- The size!!, the music is real Din A4 size and proportions, if you cut a bit of the white borders of the pages.

- It is sooo light. Ideal for singing, you can hold it in your hands.

- No sun problems!!! In summer I am playing outside in a restaurant's inner court.

- Angle of view doesn't matter. On tablets always one side is worse, or one perspective is reflecting. good, if more people look at the same music, four hands, singing duet, trio...

- No light which is disturbing the musicians behind you, or your  eyeglasses don't blink into the audience.

- I like the pen-writing. Little retarded, slow writing works well. Well, samsung tablet can do that even better. but  I also got used to write small and precise with my finger on Blaupunkt and other tablets. ...after doing that for years now, haha. And I usually have some paper next to my tablet in rehearsals for general writing.
(Anyway I would like to have a sort of quick mode for tablets or ebook: writing and deleting directly without much clicking and choosing)

So far from MelBonis
Content with: Blaupunkt Endeavour 13.3, Airturn Duo (august 2020)

(06-05-2016, 04:15 AM)MelBonis Wrote:  Airturn PED, Airturn BT 105 was not found by the Onyx up to now.

To pair the AirTurn BT-105/BT-106 with a Bluetooth-equipped Android tablet.

1. Go to Settings and turn Bluetooth off.
2. Turn your BT-105/BT-106 or Digit On. When it is blinking green every second, press and hold the ON/OFF switch for 6-8 seconds, or until the LED light blinks red/green/red/green very quickly. Let go. If the light turned off, turn it back on again.
3. Turn the Bluetooth settings ON on the Android.
4. Tap the "Visible" box so that a check mark appears.
5. Tap Scan for Devices in the upper right corner.
6. The AirTurn serial number will show in the Bluetooth list. Tap and it will Pair.
7. Once Paired, tap the AirTurn serial number again to begin the Connecting process. It will ask you to type a series of letters/numbers. Click Next or Continue.
8. Once Connected go to your App to make sure you are able to activate page turns (if not, you may need to change the Mode )
Note: Some Android tablets do not have the ability to connect to external Bluetoothe keyboards. The AirTurn needs Bluetooth HID compatibiity in order to work. 
(06-20-2016, 08:48 PM)otnt Wrote:
(06-05-2016, 04:15 AM)MelBonis Wrote:  Airturn PED, Airturn BT 105 was not found by the Onyx up to now.

To pair the AirTurn BT-105/BT-106 with a Bluetooth-equipped Android tablet.

1. Go to Settings and turn Bluetooth off.
2. Turn your BT-105/BT-106 or Digit On. When it is blinking green every second, press and hold the ON/OFF switch for 6-8 seconds, or until the LED light blinks red/green/red/green very quickly. Let go. If the light turned off, turn it back on again.
3. Turn the Bluetooth settings ON on the Android.
4. Tap the "Visible" box so that a check mark appears.
5. Tap Scan for Devices in the upper right corner.
6. The AirTurn serial number will show in the Bluetooth list. Tap and it will Pair.
7. Once Paired, tap the AirTurn serial number again to begin the Connecting process. It will ask you to type a series of letters/numbers. Click Next or Continue.
8. Once Connected go to your App to make sure you are able to activate page turns (if not, you may need to change the Mode )
Note: Some Android tablets do not have the ability to connect to external Bluetoothe keyboards. The AirTurn needs Bluetooth HID compatibiity in order to work. 

Hi !

I was using a PoV Mobii 13.3 android 4.04 tablet with airturn bt-105 and had trouble with the first power on. I needed to reset the pedal for every first power on, and never turn off the tablet or i needed to reset it again.
I bought the onyx max and it's now even worse, bt is freezing...

Would you recommand rather the Airturn Ped (bt 4) or the pageflip cicada with the onyx ? 

I can already say that the epaper 13.3 tablet is wonderful for piano sheet, with the last firmware upgrade the page switch is fast. I'm just wondering why we can't put android 4.4 on the tablet.
2017 is looking promising. After Sony, Onyx and Netronix there is Dasung bringing 13.3" E Ink display with Android.
It should have dual boot with Win10, new higher resolution 2200x1650 (spect ratio 4:3).
Hopefully it will include bluetooth.

[Image: C0GqsmVWIAA2q6w.jpg]
[Image: C0Gqs9xWIAELkzP.jpg]
https://twitter.com/DasungTech/status/81...0306237440
(01-02-2017, 07:52 PM)otnt Wrote: 2017 is looking promising. After Sony, Onyx and Netronix there is Dasung bringing 13.3" E Ink display with Android.
It should have dual boot with Win10, new higher resolution 2200x1650 (spect ratio 4:3).
Hopefully it will include bluetooth.

[Image: C0GqsmVWIAA2q6w.jpg]
[Image: C0Gqs9xWIAELkzP.jpg]
https://twitter.com/DasungTech/status/81...0306237440

I sent a tweet to Dasung and they replied back that there was not Bluetooth but they would consider it. Obviously not for this one, though.
I have tried it on the Onyx N96ML with 9.7 inch e-ink display. This version has stylus only and backlight. It also exists in a version with touch+backlight and touch+stylus (but no backlight). i suspect that the current sw in the MAX device (13-3 inch display) is fairly the same. The device comes with a build in PDF reader with annotation.

MSP works out of the box (or rather when you install it via play store), but there are some catches. I have listed some of them here just from the top of my head.

The coloring scheme for MSP could be better. Some things (like the OK button) is very hard to see, some are impossible to see (like if you choose pen type (square/round/etc).  

Annotation works, but is rather slow compared to the build in pdf-annotation program in the device. I have only tried it with a stylus and it does require some getting-used-to time. At least compared to the build in pdf annotation program that works like a charm.   

Page turning time is not really an issue. It takes about 0.5-1.0  seconds to turn a page (which is the same as the build in PDF reader/annotator) . There is an option in the device to disable page refresh on a page turn which makes it really fast (< 0.2 second) but it also makes the page progressively harder and harder to read, because some of the ink dots are "hanging". 

The device has two hw page turn keys which can be used in the build in editor to turn-pages. These do not work in MSP. Pressing them will instead turn the volume up/down. 
As android does not native support HW page turn keys, I strongly suspect that the keys actually ARE volume keys, but that the device's build in SW uses them as page turn. Maybe MSP could support volumne as page turn or custom page turn (HW) key? Not sure if it would be something many persons would need though, but a scenario could be using your headset volumne keys as page turn ?

Zoom is not supported at all on the device as this requires pinch-zoom. My device use stylus only. Maybe a +/- zoom box could be added?
You should be able to assign the volume keys to pedal actions in the settings. This would let you turn pages with them.

I'll have to look into adding some way to incrementally zoom. This doesn't let you zoom in on a particular spot, but I guess it could still be useful for devices without gesture support.
Well live and learn. I always thought pedal actions only worked when a BT device was connected. It did work though (of course) and the hw buttons where volume from androids perspective.

The zoom would probably only be used when annotating, where there is already a move/pan tool. So just the ability to Inc/Dec 10% at a time would be a life saver.

I have been fildeling a bit more around on the device (got it 4 days ago) and must say that MS works pretty ok. Annotation is a bit hard but most of it comes from having an A4 sheet presented on 9.7 inches and no zoom. So you have to be pretty accurate. The lagging is noticeable but not a big issue, at least for me. It seams worst when using the pen tool. The highlight tool is faster. For some reason.

The device does have some other minor issues and I can write about them if someone wants to know?. For now I will fiddle a bit more around.
Looks like Onyx Boox will get their act together finally and release dual touch ereaders before this Xmas. 13.3" Max2 (2220×1650 resolution, 550g) and 10.3" Note (1872×1404 resolution, 355g):
- Android 6
- capacitive touch and wacom pen support
- 1.6 quad core processor

[Image: Quad-core.png][Image: 22154188_729454560577882_562593389306723...e=5A724F03]
Good news. Onyx released today 13.3" EInk reader Max2 which has finally capacitive touch and Android 6.

It's listed on Chinese taobao store for €613.
I've no experience ordering from taobao or importing something to EU from China.

Would love to hear some experiences about buying from China.
(11-11-2017, 02:53 AM)otnt Wrote: I've no experience ordering from taobao or importing something to EU from China.

Would love to hear some experiences about buying from China.

I've never used  Taobao - which is a sort of Chinese eBay.  However, I have bought a number of items (including tablets) from other Chinese outlets - Tomtop, Deal Extreme, TinyDeal and GearBest all come to mind - shipping into Spain, with never a problem.  The only downside is that delivery times can be longer than you might hope for  -  if you want it tomorrow, buy locally.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I thought folk might be interested in my results trying out a Boox Max2 with MobileSheets.  Firstly the app works perfectly, as expected, usual excellent product.  The eInk display customisations work well.  My only issues have been with the eInk technology itself.  The Book Max2 is an excellent piece of technology - incredibly light and slim, and feels solid nontheless (light presumably because the display tech doesn't require glass).  It worked as designed with great battery life.  So, fundamentally, my gripes are with the state of the art with eInk displays this size:

- You can't get back-lit displays this large, so its only front lit (like the early eReaders).  This means it can be difficult to view under certain lighting conditions (e.g. if its dim in the room).  I tried clip-on front lights, but its hard to get a uniform illumination with such a big display (the front lights are designed for "normal" eReaders);
- Page turn is quick, but certainly not as instant as on a normal Android tablet.  There is still a noticeable lag from clicking the foot pedal to the new page refreshing and appearing - just too much to not have to think about it.  Perhaps I'd get used to this in time;
- The on/off button on this device is on the bottom - and very slightly raised.  This means that when I have it on e.g. a Piano, the flat bottom of the music stand is sufficient to push the button and either put it to sleep or re-boot it.  I have to raise it on a couple of small rubbers to stop this happening.  It would be fine (and the viewing angle is actually better) if you could use it upside down - but I haven't discovered how to let the screen rotate;
- It's grey scale, not colour - this means if you've been annotating your MobileSheets songs, or adding links, they all show up in faint grey - and e.g. if you used "bright yellow" marker, this shows up as quite light grey.  Of course this is adjustable - but means you might not find it easy to see them if you simply import your database from a normal android device.

I read rumours that there's a Max3 in the works --- although no specs or dates are available.  Adding back-light to the display would have been enough to convince me to keep it - I could overcome or get used to my other gripes Sad  

--Andrew