• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companion Pro Crashing
Mike:

Since I have updated Companion to 2.09 I have not been able to back up.

I starts the backup and gets a little under 35% into it.  On the computer I get an error: "Mobile sheet has encountered a problem and must close . . . "

On the tablet a get up to "packaging" the song "My Foolish Heart"  (I am able to open that song on the tablet without a problem,, so it does not seem corrupted).  I think the last song it successfully transferred was Honkey Tonk Woman.  

It said it was "packaging" the whole time.  Does it always do this?

This has happened several times.  I tried restarting the tablet and the computer.

When I have re-started Mobilesheets, I was asked:"The program may have abnormally exited...Would you like to restore when you connect the tablet."

I have always said "no" because I wanted it to start fresh with the database on the tablet.

Mike, I'm hoping you can help with this.
If it happens at the same song, it might actually be the song previous to this (or after). I would run a test by taking out a few songs before (after) that one and see what happens.
I presume there is enough space for it to create the backup wherever it is saving it to?
Also you could try deleting the companion app and downloading a fresh copy.
I do not know if it uses a cache while backing up and if it has left a remnant of it somewhere when it stops (Mike can tell us) but it might be causing some kind of problem if it does not start a new one each time you try the backup.
Yes, I reinstalled mobilesheets and still had the problem.
I was able to backup successfully on the tablet. So, the issue appears to be related to the Companion.
I'm having no problems backing up here, using the latest releases.

There was a problem, related to Placeholder pages, that Mike has resolved (at least he solved it for me). Do you have any of these?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Thanks, for chiming in Grame. Nope, I don't think I have any placeholders. I have no idea what is causing the problem.

Maybe Mike can give me direction to make sure I can clean out all remnants of the program. Maybe that would help. It seemed related to updating to the new version.

[I wouldn't mind reverting to an earlier version of the MS Pro Companion and seeing what happens.]
Jeff - I just released MS 1.1.2 and companion app v2.1.0. Could you please test with the latest versions and let me know if this is still a problem? I made a number of adjustments to the backup/restore to make them faster, and I just want to rule out any problems you are seeing that might have been fixed.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks, Mike, downloading new version now.
Nope, same thing happened.  It stops at the same song each time.  It is in the middle of packaging "My Foolish Heart", it was transferring "Hot Stuff", and the last song transferred was "Honkey Tonk Woman".  All these songs open fine on the tablet (and I was able to backup on the tablet).

I guess my  suspicion is there is some problem from when I did the update.  Even though I removed the program and reinstalled fresh from the MS website, when I started the program, I got the prompt: "The program may have abnormally exited...Would you like to restore when you connect the tablet." (I said no).  

I wonder if I was able to get rid of all old files/code, etc. (so it did not give that prompt) whether that would fix the problem. (But I guess I don't really have a clue.  So, Mike, any help is appreciated.)

NOTE:  The Computer OS is Windows XP.
Jeff,

There is slightly different code between the backup invoked from the companion versus a backup invoked from the tablet. I went over this code closely, and I can't see any discrepancies that would explain what you are seeing. Can you provide me some additional details about both of those songs? It would help to know the following:

1) How many files does each song use and how big are those files?
2) Have you associated audio files with either song? Are the audio files stored in the MS storage location, or elsewhere?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this quickly.

Thanks,
Mike
(05-26-2015, 02:58 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Jeff,

There is slightly different code between the backup invoked from the companion versus a backup invoked from the tablet. I went over this code closely, and I can't see any discrepancies that would explain what you are seeing. Can you provide me some additional details about both of those songs?  It would help to know the following:

1) How many files does each song use and how big are those files?  
2) Have you associated audio files with either song? Are the audio files stored in the MS storage location, or elsewhere?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this quickly.

Thanks,
Mike

Thank you so much for your prompt help.  

I do not use or back up audio (in order to avoid complexity).

I have approximately 650 pdfs.  I guess I don't know what you mean by asking how many "files" each song uses.  I would think one file per song.  Please explain.  

I have some small pdfs (1 page) and a few larger books (100 pages).  But, I never had any problem with the Companion until this version.

It gets about 35% done before stopping.  I always stops at the same place.

According to the tablet, it is in the middle of packaging "My Foolish Heart".  The last sent document is "Honkey Tonk Woman".  It crashed while transferring "Hot Stuff", which has a decent amount of annotations.

I recently worked on Hot Stuff (adding annotations).  So, if I was going to delete any song and try again, I suppose it would be that one.

Jeff
Jeff,

I was referring to just the two songs in question. It's possible to associate more than one PDF with a song, so I wanted to see if each song used just one file or multiple. The backup process does not do anything beyond first packaging the database file, and then packaging song files. It does not process anything beyond that, so annotations should have no influence on the backup. Do any of the three songs you listed use one of those larger books, or are they all small PDFs? Did you choose to backup audio, or did you deselect that option?

Mike
It appears that unchecking "Backup Audio" on the companion side will cause the backup to fail. I have a fix in place for this now that I will be releasing ASAP. Did you uncheck that option by chance?
Yes, I always did. Except once when I was checking if that caused it. But, it still crashed, but that might have been because I did not reinstall before doing that.

So, will uninstall, reinstall and try again with that checked.
I did just push out an update in the companion for this, so feel free to try it out.