• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restore Library failed
Help Please!

This is what happened:
I successfully made a library backup from one tablet via MS Companion Pro, resulting in a plausible 8.7 GB msb file (= 1500 pdf with a mp3 each).
Then wanted to restore this backup on another tablet (exact same model, Samsung 12.2), trying to update an older MS database there.
I deleted all related files from that second tablet (via File Explorer).
Both tablets have MS (green), not MSP yet.
I started restore library, with the settings "Restore to default location", unchecked "delete all existing files..." (as they're gone already).
The tablet immediately showed this:

"The backup file seems to be invalid'
"Then ' Error: invalid message received from PC. Ignoring message."

Still, the transfer progress bar eventually began to show a sign of life, incredibly slowly though.
The original backup took ~ 1hour, which was good. 
My estimate for the restoring action, judging from the completion % was 12-14 hours. Not good.
At 7% the backup failed, the devices lost connection.
I watched during the first hour whether any files would show in the folder "com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files", but it remained empty.

Are 8.9 GB too large?
Does MSCP produce a backup from MS (green) that can´t be played back to MS?

Following the laws of catastrophy, a gig is coming up in three days, and the first tablet (with the full working DB) is, by now, 1000 miles away from me.
I should know these songs by heart...

THANKS!
Ben
I think you can't combine the backup function of MSP-Companion and the restore function MS without "P".
Try to create the backup file on the tablet using the backup function of MS itsself (without MSP-Companion), than transfer this file to the other tablet and use the restore function of MS. Or you use the  MS without "P" (green) companion for backup.
---------------------------------------------------------
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-P1325, Android 4.1.1
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-I1345, Android 5.1.1
Microsoft Surface Pro 4; Windows 10
Phone: Motorola Moto G3, Android 6.0
There are database differences between the Original and Pro versions and you need to make the backup with the correct version of Companion. At the moment, you are backing up with the Pro version and then trying to restore to the original version of MS.

You should do the backup with the original Companion.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Thank you both for your quick help!!
The "master tablet" is too far away for a new backup right now, but will do as you suggest.
It probably processes both backup & restore much quicker if no external interfaces are involved.
There should just be enough space on the tablet for another (temporary) 9 GB, so that´s fine.

The website offers MSP companion only, I don´t have the old version (it was on a crashed notebook).
I wanted to upgrade anyways even though I´m very happy with MS green.

Cheers
Ben
(08-05-2015, 01:49 AM)Ben Wrote: The website offers MSP companion only

Not so - they are both there.

Go to the Companion page and scroll down to the bottom. Click on "Click here if you need the companion app for the original MobileSheets".
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Thank you Graeme. I shouldn´t download things before I haven´t understood what they are in the first place!

In the meantime I tried this, as I can´t retrieve the first tablet with the DB I'd like to backup and transfer to the second tablet:

- Installed MSP on the second tablet
- Restored the library from the PC with MSP companion to the second tablet (MSP now). That backup had been made from tablet # 1 (MS) with the MSP companion, with a success statement when finished.
(Restore library with "Default Location" checked)

As hoped for, all MP3s were copied into the /files folder, with their own subfolders (song name).
However, only 70 PDFs of the 1526 made it into those folders, the other 95% aren´t anywhere on the tablet.

When opening one of those 70 in MSP (the others give me the mean grey screen: "file xxx doesn´t exist", which is very true unfortunately), the playback of the MP3 looks ok, but it remains silent.
In the edit mode, Audio Tab, the MP3 CAN be heard, though I have to click the loudspeaker symbol twice first. No matter what I do, in the regular song display mode, no tone is heard.

Conclusion: Backup from MS with Companion MSP and then restore on MSP only works partially and should NOT be done(?)
I would expect that "migraters" intuitively choose this approach though.

The first impression of MSP is excellent, I just need to get the 1450 PDFs into the 1450 folders now...
I will probably wait until tablet 1 returns home and backup (from MS) outside of companion, as you suggested.
Wait a minute, will MSP be happy with that file?
Hi Ben,

check this manual to upgrade your files from MS to MSP.
http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/ms...ctions.pdf
Thank you Nachthorn!

He who reads the manual enjoys several benefits...

The extra hours could have also been avoided by a message of this kind, when trying to backup from MS with companion MSP:
______
|| RTFM! ||
----------

Instead I was prematurely elated by a success message, after the backup (MS==>CMSP), and another one after restore from CMSP to MSP. (I installed MSP after the restore to MS seemed to take forever and didn´t look healthy).
The recommended tablet internal backup is fun, SO fast!!!. The restore of the copied msb file on another tablet is equally smooth - with one exception that I´ll describe in the bug section. The MP3s won´t play unless you hit the loudspeaker symbol twice.

THANKS for your help!