• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win 10 communication problem
In Windows 7 operation and communication had been successful. However I played with some partitions and ended up hosing my Win 7 installation. So I re-installed Win 7 and took the upgrade to Win 10. When I installed MobileSheets Pro Companion in Win 10 the installation hung for several minutes so I canceled the installation. When I checked whether the runtime package was installed Windows said there was already a newer package installed on the system. So I attempted to install Pro Companion again and Win 10 quickly said that installation was successful. Upon running MobileSheets Pro Companion no connection was able to be made. After closing MS P C I checked Windows Firewall and there were two incoming rules -- UDP protocol 17 and TCP protocol 6, but no outgoing rules. So I made two outgoing rules -- UDP protocol 17 and TCP protocol 6. Communication still is not established, so there might be ports I didn't know of that need to be opened.
Ports 8888, 16568 and 16569 are required for communication between the tablet and the companion app. Port 8888 is used for multicast UDP and the other ports are handled over TCP.
Thank you. I will check my firewall settings.
On the Inbound UDP ports it didn't allow me to configure a specific port. On outbound UDP it allowed me to configure port 8888. I didn't try to configure the inbound TCP ports. I was able to configure ports 16568 and 16569 in Outbound rules. Still no communication.
It became necessary to re-install Windows 7 and Mobile Sheets Pro Companion worked fine. To solve some network communication problems I upgraded again to Windows 10. Now it is not possible to connect wirelessly between Mobile Sheets Pro Companion and Mobile Sheets Pro on the tablet. Is anyone else having these issues?
Yes, still unable to connect - shows tablet in window but will not connect
Have you tried the three things I recommend to all users?

1) Windows Firewall - Go to Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Allow App through Windows Firewall, search for MobileSheetsPro and check both boxes.

2) Disable anti-virus software

3) Reboot your router

If that doesn't work, please try the manual wifi connection option in the companion. Go to the Connection menu, then click on "Manual Wifi Connect" and enter the IP address shown on the tablet screen. Let me know if none of this helps.

Mike
(12-24-2015, 03:30 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Have you tried the three things I recommend to all users?

1) Windows Firewall - Go to Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Allow App through Windows Firewall, search for MobileSheetsPro and check both boxes.

2) Disable anti-virus software

3) Reboot your router

If that doesn't work, please try the manual wifi connection option in the companion. Go to the Connection menu, then click on "Manual Wifi Connect" and enter the IP address shown on the tablet screen. Let me know if none of this helps.

Mike

I have checked the firewall and all seems OK. Updated the PC software and then it worked - once! Now won't connect again. I am very reluctant to disable the anti-virus software. It is there for a very good reason and no program should require it being disabled. I will try with the MobileSheets exe file excluded from the virus protection, but it still does not explain why the connection would work once then cease working.
I tried excluding the Mobile Sheets exe file - I can connect but as soon as I try to do anything from the PC it disconnects.
The only reason I suggested disabling the anti-virus program is because most of them have a firewall component that blocks the network traffic from the tablet to the companion. For users who know how to ensure that the network traffic is allowed through, they obviously don't need to disable the anti-virus side of things - they just have to either add forwarding rules or disable the firewall component.

Can you tell me what versions of both the companion and the tablet software you are running? The latest versions of each are v1.3.0 and 2.2.2. You should make sure you have both up-to-date.

Mike
I just installed MobileSheetsProCompanion into Windows 10. No issues. When I ran it, Windows said it prevented MSPC from using the network, and the dialog included a button to permit it. I pushed that button, and it said the Firewall settings were updated. It now works just fine (well almost, see my bug report about MSPC crashing during batch import from Mac folders).

(BTW this Windows 10 is running in a virtual machine on my Mac via VMware Fusion. Its network must of course be bridged on the Mac's WiFi.)