• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lists (such as Genre) seem counterintuitive and limited?
I'm finding the lists (such as Genre, Key) to have very odd behavior compared to what I'd expect. Maybe I'm missing something? Let me give an example.

I edit a song and in the Genre dropdown I pick "Acoustic". If I press the trash can icon on the "Genre" line, it completely deletes "Acoustic" from the Genre list, so 

1) its gone from all other songs I had as Acoustic, and 
2) it's not longer in the list to select.

Second - if I add a new item to a list (such as Genre), I can't find a way to edit it (I had a typo on one and needed to fix it). 

I would think there would be a "list editor" as a top-level action that I could add/remove/edit the available items in each list, and when actually USING the list when editing a song I shouldn't be able to delete entries from the list - or the Delete icon should only delete the selected entries FOR THAT SONG.

It just seems to be completely different usage pattern for lists than any other program I've used or developed. I at least need some way to edit an entry - I have a lot of songs tied to a particular item in a list (the band name) and I need to rename since the band changed names. Currently I don't see another way except for going to any song that uses the old band name, pressing the trash icon to delete the item from the list (and therefore all the songs that used it), create a new list item, and then go to each song and add it.?

if I'm missing something obvious, let me know (wouldn't be the first time lol!)

Thanks!
The trash icon in the song editor basically means "permanently delete every value that's listed here". If you just want to remove the song from a particular genre, tap the dropdown and uncheck it from the list in the popup dialog. Conversely, if you go to the Genres tab, tap the genre you are talking about, you can edit the genre and remove any song you want from it in the group editor. In the Windows 10 version, I developed a custom control that makes it a little easier to quickly add and delete new entries, but I haven't tried to recreate that control on Android yet. If you tap a genre on the genres tab to view its list of songs, you can long press any of those and edit it. The only way to edit a song title is through the song editor.

You are the first person to question the delete buttons in the song editor, but if users think that those are confusing, I can get rid of them. It just means the only way to delete group entries would be to do so on their particular tab (which I'm fine with).

Mike
I don't think there's a need to remove them if I'm the only one that mentioned it :-) Just took me by surprise the 1st time I pressed it that it completely removed the value from the "global list", rather than just from the song I was editing.

It looks like I didn't fully grasp that the lists could be edited if the appropriate tab was selected, and that the other lists could be added as tabs in the display since it only had the default ones showing.

I'm probably just too accustomed to the software we write, where any type of "lookup table" that populates a dropdown has an easy editor to add/remove/rename/reorder entries in the list.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Isn't that what the editor is that I mentioned? If you go to the genres tab, tap a genre to view it then tap edit, there is a whole editor just for adding/removing/renaming/reordering.

If you meant that you would have expected to have a way to access an editor like I described for any group type listed in the song editor, or envisioned a different workflow, I'm always curious to hear ideas for potential changes. The main purpose of listing the fields in the song editor was so that users could quickly add or remove a song from a given group. The intention was not to provide an indirect pathway to editing the groups themselves (which is what the group editor is for).
(01-05-2017, 11:23 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Isn't that what the editor is that I mentioned? If you go to the genres tab, tap a genre to view it then tap edit, there is a whole editor just for adding/removing/renaming/reordering.

If you meant that you would have expected to have a way to access an editor like I described for any group type listed in the song editor, or envisioned a different workflow, I'm always curious to hear ideas for potential changes.  The main purpose of listing the fields in the song editor was so that users could quickly add or remove a song from a given group.  The intention was not to provide an indirect pathway to editing the groups themselves (which is what the group editor is for).

Yes it's what you mentioned, its more the workflow (but just due to what I'm accustomed to). I see "lookup table configuration/dropdown list editor/group configuration" (or whatever it would make sense being called) as it's own function (probably under Settings), not something only tied to 1) showing a group as a tab in settings if its not shown, 2) selecting that tab, then 3) selecting edit (although being able to edit from there makes sense too). 

I think for me it's that I probably wouldn't make something like "Key" a tab to display even though I enter it for most songs. Currently if I want to edit the list, I need to enable it as a tab to display first.

BTW just purchased the android version (was holding out for Windows version since I was supposed to get a surface, but company ended up getting me a different laptop :-( ). The quality and speed of being answered is worth the price regardless if I use it for 10 or a thousand songs! :-)