• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using OTG USB for audio out?
Okay, some good news....just on a hunch, I cleared all data and wiped the existing gAPPS rom (called a PICO install as it loads only the bare minimum to have Android and Google Play store and associated services run) and re-installed the HP factory ROM.

And bingo...USB Audio via the IK iRig Duo Pro now works fine! I have shut the tablet down to do a full battery recharge, so I will re-test after that and let you know.
(04-11-2017, 05:11 AM)pax_eterna Wrote: Okay, some good news....just on a hunch, I cleared all data and wiped the existing gAPPS rom (called a PICO install as it loads only the bare minimum to have Android and Google Play store and associated services run) and re-installed the HP factory ROM.

And bingo...USB Audio via the IK iRig Duo Pro now works fine! I have shut the tablet down to do a full battery recharge, so I will re-test after that and let you know.

Exclamation
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
exclamation is for???
That's great news that you got it all working. I hope it's reliable from here on out.
Thanks Mike.
(04-11-2017, 11:57 AM)pax_eterna Wrote: exclamation is for???

VERY happy you got it worked out!
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
haha, oh okay cool. Thanks
No, No, No!!!  Tody it DOESN'T work, damn it all   Angry 

All I did was allow MSP to access the USB, to enable MIDI transmission. That was the ONLY thing different to the last time the tablet was turned on yesterday! Even when I now disallow MSP to access the USB, and reboot the device this behaviour is now "locked"

Right so wayyyy back to the drawing board yet again.

I am getting really tired of this flaky android OS! What would have happened had I gone to a gig, expecting this to work! After all it worked yesterday, why not today.
Okay, after testing it seems it is something MSP is doing when the OK is selected when asked if MSP is to use the USB.

Only way to restore audio, is to turn off MSP, and any other music apps (not there are any, but I cheked anyway) disconnect the iRig then re-boot.

Re-connect the iRig and when the popup box asks if MSP is to use the USB select CANCEL.

Then, audio playback via the USB (even from MSP) is restored. Seems something MSP does when being selected to use USB, turns the iRig into a MIDI interface only. I tired the android os music players (after MSP selectd to use USB) and even they will not see/use the iRig USB as audio out, instead reverting to the default onboard speakers/headphone jack.
I don't think I'm doing anything special when it comes to MIDI. You could try another MIDI application (something simple like a MIDI monitor app) and see if that also locks the audio. It could be something at the OS level.
Yeah, MIke. Upon reflection I suspect you are correct. It works 100% with iOS on the iPad. Must be to do with the "limited" support audio and MIDI has in android 5.1.1 using the connector port. I CAN still use Android for shows if I use a separate tablet (I also have a Nexus 7) to run only audio, and use the big tablet for charts and MIDI control out to external devices. Makes it awkward to do "dynamic" selection of songs, but it will work.

OR.....just stick to iOS and the iPad haha! Decisions, decisions! Of course it would be easier if I could upgrade the HP to Nougat (or even Marshmallow) as I have heard comments that this support (audio/midi) is much better in those versions that in Lollipop (5.1.1)
I've lodged a support ticket with IK Multimedia so we'll see what they say Smile
I wanted to let you know that I discovered a free audio library for Android that offers a ton of functionality (like the ability to speed up/slow down audio tracks or change the pitch). The same company offers a USB Audio out library that is much better than what Google offers, but that library has to be licensed. I have sent the company emails to see what the licensing fees are. If the fees are reasonable, then I will be able to offer integrated support for USB audio out, which would fix all the problems you are encountering. I'll update this thread when I get more information.

Mike
As for me, I prefer to listen to my music Spotify Music on the USB because I can use zero traffic and enjoy Spotify Music everywhere and my phone allow the USB input. Nice!
You can download the Spotify music on your phone, and play it offline. The artist will get paid as well.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).