• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow page turns, and key mapping with Bluetooth pedal
I just picked up the Windows version after using the Android version since 2015. Happy to see it running on my Surface Pro 4.

Just a couple of issues so far. One, regarding compatibility of backup files between two devices on different OSes - I posted this question on a different thread.

The other, regarding key mapping and performance differences between Windows and Android.

On Android, I'd been using the up/down arrow key mappings on my PageFlip (Firefly or Cicada) pedal with good results since the beginning. This mapping works with other devices/apps, so I prefer to use it.

It seems however, that this mapping does not work for the Windows version. I have to use mouse clicks instead, and reverse these. This mapping does not give me the desired result on Androd - I get entirely different behaviors from MSP. It is unfortunate that I need to change this mapping on my pedal when switching between devices. Am I missing something?  But in the big picture, this is just a minor inconvenience.

The bigger issue I have is that page flips are much less responsive in Windows. I can't flip pages as quickly. Pedal clicks seem to get lost if they are not separated by at least a whole second or two, which is a lot of time when I need to flip back or forth through music in the middle of a song. Is it just me?  Is there something I can do to improve this?

By the way, is there an easy way to exit to Windows?  I can use Alt-F4 if I have a keyboard connected, but this is not the case most of the time that I use the app. My best option seems to be to swipe up, click the app on the task bar and close, but this seems like too much work.

Thanks for any help.
A couple more things related to navigation...

I can't seem to navigate the manual without a touch screen (on my desktop PC). Can't page or scroll up or down. Can't search. It's a bit limiting Smile

And I can't seem to back out of "full screen" display mode without a touch screen either... I can page forward and backward with my mouse, but that's about it. How do I back out to the set list (or other lists) or bring up the menu bar on the bottom, etc.?

Thanks.
(10-02-2017, 06:27 PM)Serafin Wrote: I just picked up the Windows version after using the Android version since 2015. Happy to see it running on my Surface Pro 4.

Just a couple of issues so far. One, regarding compatibility of backup files between two devices on different OSes - I posted this question on a different thread.

The other, regarding key mapping and performance differences between Windows and Android.

On Android, I'd been using the up/down arrow key mappings on my PageFlip (Firefly or Cicada) pedal with good results since the beginning. This mapping works with other devices/apps, so I prefer to use it.

It seems however, that this mapping does not work for the Windows version. I have to use mouse clicks instead, and reverse these. This mapping does not give me the desired result on Androd - I get entirely different behaviors from MSP. It is unfortunate that I need to change this mapping on my pedal when switching between devices. Am I missing something?  But in the big picture, this is just a minor inconvenience.

The bigger issue I have is that page flips are much less responsive in Windows. I can't flip pages as quickly. Pedal clicks seem to get lost if they are not separated by at least a whole second or two, which is a lot of time when I need to flip back or forth through music in the middle of a song. Is it just me?  Is there something I can do to improve this?

By the way, is there an easy way to exit to Windows?  I can use Alt-F4 if I have a keyboard connected, but this is not the case most of the time that I use the app. My best option seems to be to swipe up, click the app on the task bar and close, but this seems like too much work.

Thanks for any help.

Never mind... on further reading (still difficult to navigate that manual) and exploration I figured out that my pedal mappings needed configuration. I took it for granted that these settings were fixed or somehow carried over with my backup file. All good for now in this department. Keystroke events also seem more responsive than mouse clicks for page turns.

I also figured out that navigating to the top or bottom of the screen revealed Windows controls to allow me to exit the app.

I'm still struggling with navigation without a touch screen. Is there a mode for the app to treat a mouse pointer like a finger?

Thanks and sorry for the noise.
Ok, so it does seem that pedal mappings get modified when doing cross-platform restores from backup, but the resulting mappings somehow don't match functionally. E.g., an "up arrow" keystroke on one platform turns into a "J" or something on the other. Is this expected?

Caveat: I've tried and checked for this only once so far - did not have time to do more testing.
If you disable the USB Mouse Settings->Enable USB Mouse Processing as well as "Treat Mouse Click as Pedal Press", then your mouse should operate just like a finger.

As for the pedal mappings, I save the keys as integers (i.e. key codes) in the settings. Android and Windows must use different values for what the integers represent. I can't save the keys as a string identifier, because there is no mapping in the API to go from a string back to the virtual key code.  If I limit the key codes I support, I could create a mapping of the OS key codes to internal key codes, but this probably isn't worth it and could cause issues with some pedals that send unusual values (I've seen this with certain USB pedals). I'll have to think on this some more to see if I can come up with a way to make the settings more compatible between each OS.

Thanks,
Mike