• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song/Setlist Notes
Not really a bug as such, but I found this confusing, to say the least.

Adding song notes to a chart works well.  However, if you decide to change from song notes to setlist notes the text vanishes.  Up to now, when this has happened, I have been re-typing the text.  In fact, as I discovered by accident today, if you change from song notes to setlist notes and then back out of the chart and re-open it, the original notes are still there!   The same is true if conversion goes to other way, when converting a setlist note to a song note. 

While on the subject, I also notice that after adding a note, it is not displayed until the chart has been exited and re-opened, meaning that you have to close and re-open any chart to which you have added a note, should you need to check it for any reason.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I added this to the MantisBT List, but I'm not sure I did that correctly Wink .
Graeme

Some of my music here
How do you annotate a setlist - I can only do it for songs (and can't see it in the manual)

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Graeme is talking about notes, not annotations. That's the left-hand icon of the three at the top when you go into "edit" mode by tapping in the middle of a song (assuming you have that turned on). The notes can be song notes or setlist notes. They can be set to popup when the song it loaded.

Hope that helps.

Andy
Thanks for explaining that Andy.

I've had a play with it and concur that it is does not do what one expects.
1) Display a set list and choose a song
2) Press centre of screen and choose "edit" mode" - type in some text and Close
3) Move to next song and back again - it doesn't display the note
4) Go back into "edit" mode - the note still exists
5) Choose collection containing the song.
6) Select song and enter "edit" mode - the note is missing
7) Reselect song via the set list and it is present.

I don't ever get the note being displayed (although I do get a note displayed on another song that I set up a long time ago)

Hope this helps

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(10-25-2017, 01:49 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Thanks for explaining that Andy.

I've had a play with it and concur that it is does not do what one expects.
1) Display a set list and choose a song
5) Choose collection containing the song.
6) Select song and enter "edit" mode - the note is missing
7) Reselect song via the set list and it is present.

I don't ever get the note being displayed (although I do get a note displayed on another song that I set up a long time ago)
I think this is because you added the note to a chart as 'setlist note' - which is the default option.  Had you changed it to a 'song note' before closing the edit window it would appear every time you opened the chart from within the 'collection' or any other tab. As you have it, it will only show in that setlist.  The default mode makes a lot of sense, as you could well have the same song in different setlists, which require a different note as to how it's played - I know I have charts like this.

My original comment was the way that the action of changing an existing note from 'setlist' to 'song' (and visa versa) was confusing in its result.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Thanks for that - I wasn't aware that you could have different notes in different setlists. (I've also now remembered to tick the "Show when loaded" box!

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
> I think this is because you added the note to a chart as 'setlist note' - which is the default option.
Actually I think the notes for the song should be the default option even if you are in a setlist. IMO it is more common to have a song with the same notes in different setlists. 
So if no setlist notes are saved there should be the song notes (if there) as default at the start, for viewing and as input option. The other way round  had me confused to no end amount because I made some song notes 
which simply didn't show up when I expected (and needed them) from a song in a setlist.

Of course if there are setlist notes for a specific setlis they should have priority over song notes.
Personally I don't mind which option is the default, although I need far more setlist notes than song notes so the current default is fine by me (perhaps the default option could be determined in the settings menu?).

I'm more interested in being able to see the note and switch from one type to the other without reloading the chart
Graeme

Some of my music here
Me too. I suggested a touch action for showing the notes a long time ago.
I think there might be a little bit of confusion here. If you load a song as part of a setlist, and then view the notes dialog, it will default to showing you the notes that will be displayed for that song for the current setlist. If no notes are present, it will default to showing you any notes that are assigned just to the song. The dropdown on this dialog does not convert anything. It just toggles between showing you the setlist specific notes, and the song notes (the ones not tied to a setlist).  If the behavior that you are seeing is different from what I've described, please let me know, as that would indicate there is a bug. 

As for the touch action to show notes, I haven't forgotten about it. It's still on my list of things to do. It sounds like it's important to people though, so I can elevate the priority and get it into the next update. I won't have proper translations in time, so I'll just use Google translate to handle the entry for "Show Notes".  There are a couple of things to note with this:

1) It will show you the setlist song notes if you are in a setlist for which you have specified notes for the song, otherwise it will use the individual song notes (perhaps I need to come up with better terms to distinguish this)

2) It will only show the popup of the notes - it won't allow you to quickly edit them or get access to the dialog to edit them

If you want additional options such as being able to explicitly choose which notes are shown with the touch action or either a separate touch action to show the notes dialog or a way to get to the notes dialog from the popup, then we will have to discuss that.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this thread Smile .

Mike, I hadn't realised that one chart could contain both a 'song note' and a 'setlist note' and I now understand the logic of displaying a 'setlist note' when accessing the chart from within a setlist. That's a neat feature that I will likely make use of now I know about it.

What remains, from my original post, is the confusion of not being able to see any note displayed until you have exited the chart and re-opened it.  

Also, now I know about having two separate notes attached to the one chart, it would seem that opening such a chart in a setlist displays the 'setlist notes', but there is no way to access the 'song notes'?
Graeme

Some of my music here
That is correct - if you load the song in a setlist, it only shows the setlist notes. If you want an option to show both notes at the same time, I would need to add code for that (it wouldn't be difficult). In that case, I could just separate the notes either by using a label for each (Setlist Notes: followed by those notes below it and Song Notes: followed by the notes below that) or by using a line to separate them.

Mike
That sounds like a good solution to me.  

If it is easy to implement and there's no danger of screwing something else up in the process, then I would go for that.
Graeme

Some of my music here