• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Select a tiny pen dot
On my Surface Pro, I often have this usability niggle with the select tool (the arrow tool; sorry if I'm using the wrong term):

Using the pen tool, I write out a quick annotation that has a dot in it (like a period or a staccato sign).  Then I want to select the annotation and move it elsewhere.  The select tool highlights (and moves) everything except the little dot.  If I try to move the little dot on its own, then the select tool instead resizes the little dot and I end up with a huge dot.  (I can then move the huge dot, but that doesn't help much.)

Thanks!
I'll look into this. In the meantime, you may want to consider an alternative approach for positioning those dots. You can use the selection list at the top left (you may need to enable the side list by tapping the circle at the top left of the editor) to select the dot, then use the nudge tool to position it where you want. You may also need to enable the nudge tool if it's currently disabled. You can also see if zooming helps at all with repositioning the dot.

Mike
I used to  use the pen tool but now just use the text tool ( it is also  easier and neater)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I have a bug fix in place for this now that will be included with the next update.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-14-2018, 10:25 PM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: I used to  use the pen tool but now just use the text tool ( it is also  easier and neater)

Geoff

That is a good tip.  I've also started moving toward text wherever possible.  However, as a drummer, I'm mostly marking up chord charts with rhythms, and it turns out I write more dotted notes and staccato symbols than I'd have guessed!
(01-14-2018, 06:22 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I'll look into this. In the meantime, you may want to consider an alternative approach for positioning those dots. You can use the selection list at the top left (you may need to enable the side list by tapping the circle at the top left of the editor) to select the dot, then use the nudge tool to position it where you want. You may also need to enable the nudge tool if it's currently disabled. You can also see if zooming helps at all with repositioning the dot.

Mike

Thanks.  When I opened the selection list to try your idea, I discovered that when I make a dot, it typically is recorded as a "circle" annotation, rather than part of the "freeform" I'm drawing.  (But of course, I'm not switching to circle mode in the pen settings.)

EDIT:  I missed your other post.  Awesome that you already fixed this!  Thanks!
Yes, I do currently create dots as circle annotations. Otherwise it would show up as a single pixel (or a couple pixels) and it wouldn't look very much like a dot.  So if you tap and create a freeform annotation with just one or a couple points, I transform that into a very small circle so that it looks better.

Mike
(01-15-2018, 05:50 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I have a bug fix in place for this now that will be included with the next update.

Thanks,
Mike

The behavior seems unchanged.  Dragging a selection box around a pen annotation still doesn't include (some) small dots.  Was this change released?

Yes, the change was released. A circle annotation is used if the user taps without any movement. If you press down and slightly move your finger or stylus, then this will be treated as a normal freeform drawing, and the freeform drawing tool will just group together what you drew with the other content, as it's all considered one annotation until you switch tools. Looking at your screenshot, those aren't just single dots. So it looks like much of that has been joined together into one single freeform annotation. I just opened a score, drew content that matches your screenshot, but I performed single taps for dots. When I drew a selection rectangle around the whole thing, each individual dot was selected, because it was a separate circle annotation.

Mike