• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android vs Windows
Hi,

i couldn't find a topic like this, so I started this one.

I am new to mobilesheets and was looking for a tablet at a size and ratio 
near a A4 papers sheet. I am open for both ,android or windows.

This idea took me hours to figure out, that it's not easy these days 
to find a tablet which is in my prefered size, in a price of max. 500 Euro 
and is not using low end hardware.A good rating of customers is 
another point I am looking for. I don't want a cheap China tablet which 
has a lot bugs, bad quality or is not working right.

Now my question, is there any reason, seen from the side of mobilesheet, to prefere a 
Android or Windows system? Is there a difference between the Windows and Android
Version of Mobilesheets ?
As i said i am new to mobilsheets and open to buy a android or windows tablet. 
If there is any other reason, beside mobilesheets, to better buy one of both systems, it 
would be nice to read your opinion. .

btw. i have a favourite tablet for windows, which is a Acer Switch Alpha 12 i3 or i5
with 4GB Ram, 256GB storage and a ratio of 3/2 (2160x1440 pixels) which is
close to A4.
For Android, it's  hard to finde one that fits what i like ,especially the size and ratio.
most android tablets i saw with a size I like where older models with older android versions
Of 4 ,5 or 6 ... So i was unsure how long this older android versions will be supported by
Mobilesheets. ..

Thank you..
Regards
Frank 
Hi Frank

I'm just a user, not part of the MobileSheets gang but here's my experience which may help you.

I started using Mobile Sheets on an Android tablet and was very happy with the programme, but not the size of the tablet. I eventually upgraded to a MS SurfacePro because I wanted the larger size. I noticed no difference when converting from one tablet to the other.

Hope that helps

Barry
The oldest version of Android supported by MSPro was recently increased to 4.4, and 4.4 is 5 years old.
Such an old version also means that you're missing security updates of the last 5 years, which may make your tablet vulnerable to hacks and attacks.

So if you're looking for a new purchase it is probably not a good idea to go for an already outdated Android.

Sometimes it is possible to install a non-standard ROM on older tablets. For example, I'm running LineageOS 14.1 (based on Android 7.1) on my ancient Note and MotoG. But installing a non-standard ROM may be tricky and requires some experience.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
There are some very small differences between the Android and Windows 10 versions, but these don't affect most users. They are designed to be as identical as possible. When it comes to Android, I actually support Android 4.0 or higher, but there will come a time in the near future where I will need to bump that up to 4.3 or 4.4 in order to support new functionality. I would recommend getting Android 6.0 or higher if possible.

Mike
Thank you. ..

I bought both versions... I am using my older Galaxy Tab S and a Surface pro 4 i5 ..
Now i can use both and have one asas backup device ..lol
Regards
Frank 
Android is best for mobile phone and for the computer of course Windows.
(10-28-2018, 11:50 AM)Billybow Wrote: Android is best for mobile phone and for the computer of course Windows.

Time is changing. Chrome OS 70 is out with tablet UI. It supports Android apps.
Announced Google's Pixel Slate tablet with 12.3" display is coming this November followed by many others like "Cheza" tablet.

It's overkill to view PDFs/use MobileSheets with Windows.
Quote:It's overkill to view PDFs/use MobileSheets with Windows.

Well, it depends on how you use it.  I have a mobile and an Xperia Tablet with Android and a desktop PC and a Surface Pro with W10.

My usage has gone almost exclusively to the Win devices since the powerful Surface can be used for other interesting things like Band-in-a-Box
or full-blown notation software and whatever. Also editing and maintaining the database on the desktop is way more comfortable than on an Android
device or a tablet in general or through the companion (and more easily backupped/mirrored automatically with dropbox or other cloud services).

If there were a Windows version of iRealPro I probably would retire my Android devices for sheet music.

So IMHO it's not overkill and currently I would prefer the Windows version. (And of course it's just a question of the device and its price. Android devices are quite a bit cheaper than 
comparable Windows devices. MSP itself is so affordable you can easily purchase both if you have both OS (and should to award Mike for his efforts).
(10-28-2018, 11:50 AM)Billybow Wrote: Android is best for mobile phone and for the computer of course Windows.

(10-28-2018, 09:25 PM)otnt Wrote:

Time is changing. Chrome OS 70 is out with tablet UI. It supports Android apps.
Announced Google's Pixel Slate tablet with 12.3" display is coming this November followed by many others like "Cheza" tablet.

It's overkill to view PDFs/use MobileSheets with Windows.

I appreciate your reply here. Yeah the time is changing a lot. Okey will try for this one.
I think Windows win!
It's overkill to view PDFs/use MobileSheets with Windows?

I am a double bass player, so I need to be a little further than most musicians from my music stand... I first bought a 15.6'' 2-in-1 laptop used in portrait mode, but it was still too small!
The only bigger 2-in-1 touchscreen I found on the market was Dell Inspiron 17-7778, and that was before the Windows version of Mobilesheets so I had to run it in Android emulation mode!
I now use a 21.5'' Viewsonic touch monitor as a dual-page display (Lansdscape mode), mounted on a modified tripod stand, with a Zotac mini-computer as the system's brain...
That could not be possible with Android!
Samsung has a discontinued 18'' tablet but it doesn't operate in portrait mode, too small for dual-page display in Landscape and no VESA option to hook it up on a music stand!
(12-15-2018, 10:31 AM)domgi Wrote: Samsung has a discontinued 18'' tablet but it doesn't operate in portrait mode, 

Samsung is going to release new version in Q1 of 2019:
https://tabletmonkeys.com/samsung-galaxy...new-today/

Did you ever try rotation control apps?

(12-15-2018, 10:31 AM)domgi Wrote: I now use a 21.5'' Viewsonic touch monitor as a dual-page display (Lansdscape mode), mounted on a modified tripod stand, with a Zotac mini-computer as the system's brain...
That could not be possible with Android!

Of course it is possible with USB-C Android phones/tablets to connect to external monitor:

[Image: ASUS_ZenScreen_MB16AC_9.jpg]
Of course it is possible with USB-C Android phones/tablets to connect to external monitor
[/quote]

Thanks for all those answers, but my problem with the Samsung View was mainly that it would not be safe to sit it on its left/right sides on a music stand, and no VESA option either to hook it up on a tripod monitor stand.
There is 18'' USB-C monitors on the market that would look well on a music stand, but then they are no Touch input, and when there is, they're only 15.6'', have a poor contrast ratio and are very pricy!
I could not see how I could have those monitors hooked on a cellphone or tablet with the touchscreen function enabled.
All IPads Pro, Surface Pro and Gvido systems of this world can't pair with my 17.3'' Inspiron 2:1 except for the weight and power autonomy, so for me the next thing upscale was to hook a 21.5'' touchscreen by VESA and a mini-computer on a monitor stand... with some custom work for the wiring and transportation issues.

I have also considered AIO systems that can be dual-page with touch function, but again there were issues with design, weight, price, power and transportation.
My system is under 1K$, but with countless hours of researches and handwork.

But thanks anyways, it's good to share community information and hopefully in the future some companies will go in developement and marketing for more interesting systems!
@domgi: I am currently using a 10.8" Android tablet and I am absolutely sattisfied with MSpro as the software for displaying my *.cho files!
However: as you mentioned: sometime size matters!  Shy

Thus, I was also thinking of a 22" up to 24" touch screen from Viewsonic or similar, especially since usually AC power is available on stage...

There are plenty “mini” and “nano” PCs on the market. There are even WIN10 PC sticks (e.g.: Intel STK1AW32SCR Mini PC Stick Intel Atom x5-Z8300 (4 x 1.44 GHz / max. 1.84 GHz) 2 GB RAM 32 GB eMMC Win 10 Home)

My question now for you as an experienced user:
Apart from any OTHER tasks which might be interesting to run on WIN10 machine on stage, what are the minimum requirements for a Windows machine?
AND: how did you connect the touch screen? Does it run over an USB interface or HDMI-return channel?

On the other hand one can get Android boxes with Android 9.0 for only 60 EUR! Thus, the other question I have is for the Android mini PCs/sticks. Would those support the Viewsonic touch screen? Has anybody tried such a combi?
May I link my custom dual (Android) tablet system, described in https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...8#pid27658 , into this discussion?

At least if you are playing larger pieces with several page turns in it, and if your score sheets tend to have 3+ note systems per row, I guess you will not be very lucky with just one near-to A4 sized tablet as you have to turn pages, or scroll, far to often. At least this was my experience when I started out with just one tablet and scrolling.

To arrive at the relative note size of a single-full-page 12-13" screen you will need about 21" screen to display two full pages side by side.

I agree with the remark that the Win-based tablets may present a superior software infrastructure beyond pure MSP usage, but if you just want a dedicated device for score display my solution with two older but well established brand devices isn't too bad, IMHO. And concerning the technical features: Which dual full-paged display solution would be available below 500 EUR, is battery-driven for many hours and weighs less than 2.5 kg?

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink