• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to import PDF with CSV index
(05-24-2018, 11:12 PM)art Wrote: thanks for editing my real book file, the problem is now that when i import the csv file and the pdf, the select songs to import file that pops up,  it has all the songs listed, when i select all, it just imports all the songs into the song list, and not in the collection folder, it doesnt seem to be linking to the real book pdf,  tried it several times and it keeps duplicating the files in the song list, so i now have about four of each song,

Glad you got LibreOffice + the basic import worked, sorry about the problem with the collection. 
I looked at the file spec again, which is here - 
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...4#pid13484

It seems likely to me that the problem is in the first line in the file I gave you. 
I gave you:
title;pages;collection

I think it needs to be:
title;pages;collections

Note the "s" at the end of "collections" - I think MobileSheets didn't recognize the "collections" field because it was missing the "s".  I'm sorry for that mistake.

What to do now / next ...
If you have some way to identify and select all the "extra" songs, you could delete 3 of the 4. 
Then select the remaining ones, and in the top right corner, tap the "..." and you'll get a menu, one option being "add to collection" - this will add all the selected songs to the collection all in one step. 

Or if you have a backup of your database before these imports, you could restore that backup to get your library back to a "clean" state. Then I've attached the CSV file again here, with the missing "s". Do the import again with this file.

Lastly, I'm not sure exactly what you meant by << it doesnt seem to be linking to the real book pdf >> .  
If there's another part I'm missing, maybe you can try to explain it a different way + I'll see if I can help.

Hope it helps.
C

Attached Files
.csv   Real Book 2.csv (Size: 12.63 KB / Downloads: 4)
(05-25-2018, 12:53 AM)chrisss Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 11:12 PM)art Wrote: thanks for editing my real book file, the problem is now that when i import the csv file and the pdf, the select songs to import file that pops up,  it has all the songs listed, when i select all, it just imports all the songs into the song list, and not in the collection folder, it doesnt seem to be linking to the real book pdf,  tried it several times and it keeps duplicating the files in the song list, so i now have about four of each song,

Glad you got LibreOffice + the basic import worked, sorry about the problem with the collection. 
I looked at the file spec again, which is here - 
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...4#pid13484

It seems likely to me that the problem is in the first line in the file I gave you. 
I gave you:
title;pages;collection

I think it needs to be:
title;pages;collections

Note the "s" at the end of "collections" - I think MobileSheets didn't recognize the "collections" field because it was missing the "s".  I'm sorry for that mistake.

What to do now / next ...
If you have some way to identify and select all the "extra" songs, you could delete 3 of the 4. 
Then select the remaining ones, and in the top right corner, tap the "..." and you'll get a menu, one option being "add to collection" - this will add all the selected songs to the collection all in one step. 

Or if you have a backup of your database before these imports, you could restore that backup to get your library back to a "clean" state. Then I've attached the CSV file again here, with the missing "s". Do the import again with this file.

Lastly, I'm not sure exactly what you meant by << it doesnt seem to be linking to the real book pdf >> .  
If there's another part I'm missing, maybe you can try to explain it a different way + I'll see if I can help.

Hope it helps.
C

thanks once again it worked,  so do i use the  same format with the other real books? titles, pages, collections
thanks once again it worked so do I use the same format with the other real books titles, pages, collections?
(05-26-2018, 01:02 AM)art Wrote: thanks once again it worked ...
Good glad it worked.

<<  do I use the same format with the other real books: titles, pages, collections?  >> 
That's the idea - - BUT as we've both discovered, you must be EXACT with the field names. 

So use:
title; pages; collections
Not "titles"  <---that extra "s" would probably make it fail.

good luck - C
@Mike

Any chance that MSP could prompt the user when the first line contains unrecognized keywords ? (before it starts updating the database!)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Geoff,

Do you just want a warning popup that asks if you want to continue if unrecognized columns are found? There is no way for the processing to continue if title or pages aren't found though, as those are not optional.

Thanks,
Mike
@Mike

I suppose it really all depends on whether there is a legitimate reason for someone to have unrecognized column headers in the file; If there is no reason then, to my mind, the user should be warned as they probably need to edit the file (easier for them to cancel the load instead of trying to unpick it).

What do you do currently if you detect unrecognized keywords? (I suspect you ignore them - I would if I was programming it!)

Perhaps it would be easiest if you accepted multiple spellings for the field headers e.g. match the first 4 letters (say, assuming unique in 4) rather than the whole header. This would cater for simple misspellings like whether or not there should be a trailing 's'. Obviously, this wouldn't cater for errors in the first 4 chars so a prompt might still be necessary.

I think the main problem is that the load is going to add a lot of entries to the database so one would rather it not happen if it isn't going to have the desired effect. Additionally, this is likely to be something that users do only occasionally (unlike loading individual songs) so they are more likely to make mistakes, especially on their first attempts.

Another possibility, and perhaps it is there already, would be a method to remove a physical file and all the database entries that relate to it; this would make it relatively easy to unpick a faulty load of a CSV file (as opposed to trying to remove all the individual data records which then results in the physical file being deleted)

Not a show stopper for me, just trying to help you improve an already great program

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
"if you accepted multiple spellings for the field headers e.g. match the first 4 letters"
Please NO, it's common that users have to be precise with the keywords for database imports. It would just cause different confusion.
uppercase / lowercase doesn't matter (already)

"unrecognized keywords? (I suspect you ignore them - I would if I was programming it!)"
title and pages are mandatory, all other fields are optional, columns with unknown keywords in the header are ignored.
That definitely makes sense. I prefer e.g. the CSV files to be sorted alfabetically by title for import. But it makes sense to have an additional "number" column that is ignored by MSP to sort it back to the original sequence of pages in the fakebook for proof-reading. Sorting by "pages" doesn't help in that case as it is text and is sorted 1, 10, 11, 2, ...
A warning (and allowing the user to cancel the import) might be helpful. But the option to continue import ignoring unrecognized columns is essential.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(05-26-2018, 08:25 AM)itsme Wrote: "if you accepted multiple spellings for the field headers e.g. match the first 4 letters"
Please NO, it's common that users have to be precise with the keywords for database imports. It would just cause different confusion.
uppercase / lowercase doesn't matter (already)

"unrecognized keywords? (I suspect you ignore them - I would if I was programming it!)"
title and pages are mandatory, all other fields are optional, columns with unknown keywords in the header are ignored.
That definitely makes sense. I prefer e.g. the CSV files to be sorted alfabetically by title for import. But it makes sense to have an additional "number" column that is ignored by MSP to sort it back to the original sequence of pages in the fakebook for proof-reading. Sorting by "pages" doesn't help in that case as it is text and is sorted 1, 10, 11, 2, ...
A warning (and allowing the user to cancel the import) might be helpful. But the option to continue import ignoring unrecognized columns is essential.

hi everyone chris kindly helped me with a csv file with real book, which worked ok, the problem now is my whole library is missing, all the folders are in the database but no pdf's, the real books which have been edited are all ok, i have searched all folders cant find them, any ideas, thanks
Long press one of the song entries until it is selected
"Edit Song" - top of screen
Files
This will show you the name of the pdf book; all song entries for this real book will point to the same pdf file
I would expect the pdf to be in the MS data area (it gets copied there during the import - assuming you are not self managing file locations)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
hi geoff the folders are in the data file, but no pdf's
Not sure what your terminology is; by "folders" do you mean something in MSP or something in the device filing system?

1) Do your pages display when selected in MSP; if yes you have a file somewhere, if not you have somehow just created database entries without referencing a file.

2) Depending how you have configured MSP, it may be storing files directly in it's storage area or it may be storing then in folders contained in the storage area i.e. have you drilled down through the folders shown in the storage location?

3) You might have to use a 3rd party tool to identify where your files are e.g. ES file explorer.
Alternatively, use Windows to look directly in the folders (if using a tablet, connect using wifi and examine the file system using File Explorer)

4) The "Settings |Other Settings| Diagnostics"  options allow you to check for missing files; if it says there aren't any then you deffo have a file, you just don't know where it is!

Hope that helps

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(05-29-2018, 01:57 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Not sure what your terminology is; by "folders" do you mean something in MSP or something in the device filing system?

1) Do your pages display when selected in MSP; if yes you have a file somewhere, if not you have somehow just created database entries without referencing a file.

2) Depending how you have configured MSP, it may be storing files directly in it's storage area or it may be storing then in folders contained in the storage area i.e. have you drilled down through the folders shown in the storage location?

3) You might have to use a 3rd party tool to identify where your files are e.g. ES file explorer.
Alternatively, use Windows to look directly in the folders (if using a tablet, connect using wifi and examine the file system using File Explorer)

4) The "Settings |Other Settings| Diagnostics"  options allow you to check for missing files; if it says there aren't any then you deffo have a file, you just don't know where it is!

Hope that helps

Geoff

thanks for the reply geoff, i had a back up so i just did that, but i wanted to know what went wrong, i did a search through the all the stored files, couldnt find them anywhere