• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[2.5.0] MSPro stops after 'superpowered' is displayed
Hi Mike,

Today I saw version 2.5.0 of MSPRo  is now available on Android.

I installed it on my HP Slate 21 running Android 4.4.2.

But MSpro will not run.
It starts. One can see the library screen populated with data and the 'superpowered' splash screen on top.
But after that, MSPro simply dissapears from the screen.

Update ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have some additional information.
This HP slate 21, allways has 2 usb midi devices connected to it. 
Now for the sake of testing, I disconnected them both.
And then MSPro does start! 
However it feels less responsive compared to version 2.4.9 that was on the device before ....
When I then (re)connect one of the USB midi devices, while MSP is running, I would expect a message 'device xx connected' or something (cannot test it now for the exact wording) but that message does not appear and MSPro hangs ....

also I have noticed that - with USB midi devices disconnected - when I go the the midi settings in MSPro and change 'standard' to 'superpowered USB' and then quit MSPro. After relaunching MSP, the midi config is back to standard. I would have expected it to have remembered my modification.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Rudy
Looks like this is an issue on devices running Android versions lower than 5.0 (fragmentation is always a fun problem to deal with). I have a fix in place, am testing it out on my HP Slate 21, and will release an update right after I've verified it all works.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

My Samsung 12.2 cannot work with android higher than 4.4.2 and link with my Korg keyboard, so I too need a fix. My latest MS version updated automatically, so I'll await your new update.

regards, 

David M.
Version 2.5.1 has been released and I'm going to post release notes on the forums shortly.

Mike
Thumbs Up 
I installed the update and now it is working again !

Thanks Mike !

Just wanted to mention though, that the new 'superpowered USB' MIDI only recognises one of my two USB midi devices.
It does not recognise my Roland UM one mkII, so I cannot use this setting.

The standard MIDI setting in MSPro recognises both usb midi devices as before and so that is the setting I will continue to use.

Thanks

Rudy
The superpowered library only supports class compliant MIDI devices. So that would suggest your Roland device is not class compliant. I have the same issue with my older Yamaha S90ES. That is one of the main reasons I still use the older MIDI library even if it's not quite as fast as the new superpowered one. It also supports lower Android versions whereas the superpowered library only supports 4.4 or higher.
Thanks for that information.

I had a look at the Roland manual, and it seems the device has a switch allowing it to be used in compliant or non compliant mode ....

So I changed the switch to compliant mode.

And now BOTH USB midi devices are recognised by the superpowered MIDI ...., but now MSP hangs.

Strangely I got it to work just once. But never again after that.
Since that first working time, MSPro allways hangs after the detection message for both midi devices has appeared.
I allways need to force the tablet off by long pressing the power switch to get out of the hang .....
Rebooted tablet several times, but still MSP allways hangs after the detection.

So now I am back to standard MIDI and that still works ok (even with the Roland now in compliant mode)

Thanks

Rudy
I have to admit I never tested two MIDI devices at the same time as I don't have many devices with multiple USB slots and I didn't think of trying to use the HP Slate 21 for that.  I'll give it a shot with a couple of my class-compliant devices to see if I experience the same problems you described with the Superpowered library.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks Mike, still the greatest! Appreciate your support,

regards,

David
I have a fix in place for using multiple MIDI devices at once with the Superpowered library that will be included with version 2.5.2 (which I'm releasing shortly).

Mike
Hi Mike,

just installed 2.5.2.

Still hangs in my case I am afraid, when using superpowered MIDI with 2 compliant MIDI devices connected.

Thanks

Rudy
Rudy,

Do you see a difference in behavior when you have both devices connected before starting the app, versus connecting one, waiting, then connecting the other? It might be tricky for me to identify problems as I had two MIDI keyboards connected and didn't experience any issues once my fixes were in place.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

Well .......

I had not seen your reply, but decided to do some more testing on my own in order to try to and provide some more information.
The results are very unconsistent I am afraid. Conclusion could be that standard mode is ok and stable, and that superpowered mode is unpredictabtle ....

For one, I have not been able to reproduce getting MSPro to hang by using the superpowered MIDI now. although it did this morning after iinstalling the new MSPro version. (cannot remember if I rebooted the tablet ....)

I have had an occasion where I connected one MIDI device first tested it in MSPro in superpowered mode (it worked) and then added the second midi device. it detected it, but that second one did not work, but MSP did not hang either. When I then switched back to standard MIDI (without reconnecting midi devices) same result. Second one also not working. After tablet reboot (without touching connections) both then worked fine in standard mode.
Repeating the previous test, next time gave a result of both devices working in superpowered mode. Not touching anything and rebooting the tablet resulted in both devices beeing detected by superpowered midi but neiter of them working that time.
I also had one situation where only one midi devices was working (both detected) in superpowered mode but the working midi was slow. the device working was my genos and there was at least a 2 second delay now between the registration file beeing loaded on Genos and the button getting lit. normally this takes less than a second.

Once I switch to standard mode (rebooting when needed after changing from superpowered) everything works stable.

I guess this not going to help much  .....

Rudy
Mike, 

one thing I'd like to add. No idea if it is related to the problem though

And mind you, this is not new. This situation already existed before the superpowered MIDI was implemented in MSPro and it has allways felt a bit strange to me

But lots of times, when the MIDI device connect or disconnect messages are shown when starting or stopping MSPro, it strikes me that the devices beeing (dis)connected are mentioned twice .

So when launching MSPro you sometimes will see
'USB/Midi device ..../0014 is connected'
'USB/Midi device ..../0014 is connected'
'USB/Midi device ..../0005 is connected'
'USB/Midi device ..../0005 is connected'

and then wen stopping MSPro
'USB/Midi device ..../0014 is disconnected'
'USB/Midi device ..../0014 is disconnected'
'USB/Midi device ..../0005 is disconnected'
'USB/Midi device ..../0005 is disconnected'

it does not bother me as such only a bit unlogical ....
I just thought I'd mention it in case there is a relation to the problem with the superpowered MIDI ...

Thanks

Rudy