• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheetsPro for E-Ink Devices now available
Hello Michael,

First off, if you go to Settings->About, what version of MobileSheetsPro are you currently using? The latest version is 3.3.6 so I just want to make sure you have the latest software before continuing. If you haven't done so yet, I might recommend creating a library backup under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, uninstall MobileSheetsPro, reinstall it, restore the library backup and see if the issue persists.

Mike
Hello everyone, I am new here and am thinking to get a Boox Max Lumi 2 (which I don't see being discussed so often here). Just wondering if anyone here is using Max Lumi2 and if MSP works fine on it? I also have a iRig Blue Turn pedal and am wondering if that works fine with Lumi2/MSP. 

Thank you for your help!
I have the BOOX Max Lumi and test MobileSheetsPro regularly on it and it works great. A number of users have posted and emailed me that use the BOOX Max Lumi 2 and it also works great with MobileSheetsPro. I can't speak to pairing the iRig Blue Turn pedal with the Lumi 2 (it's one of my least favorite pedals due to the compatibility issues many users face), but in theory it should work just fine with the Lumi 2.

Mike
I use MSP on a bunch of Boox Max 3 tablets and I think they're the same OS as the Lumi 2. It works a treat. I don't have a Blueturn but quite a few of our players do and they work well with Max 3/MSP. I use the Pageflip Firefly which I like because it has a few more controls but it also has hard plastic for the pedals which can be a bit noisy - the silicone buttons on the Blueturn are silent. We mostly do background music so it doesn't affect us much but it could be a distraction in a concert.
Hi,
I installed the E-Ink-trial-version on a rooted Sony DPT-RP1.
Making hand written annotations with the original Sony pen doesn't work as smoothly as with the original Sony software.
There's a delay of about a half second between moving the pen and getting the line on the screen. Also some parts of the line are missing, so I can't read a written "hello".
I tried bot pen mode and standard mode. 
And I didn't find out how to put the eraser function onto the pen's button.
Are there any special settings to solve this problems? Everything else works fine.
Thanks!!!
E-Ink devices have much slower refresh rates due to the way the screen works. So what you are seeing is the normal behavior of the device without specialized optimizations. The reason the annotations work faster on BOOX devices is because Onyx has a developer library that lets developers access something they call "Raw drawing mode" where it turns off the screen refresh and flips pixels when the stylus touches the screen, making it seem like writing is happening without any delay. I imagine Sony must internally use a similar approach if their own software doesn't have delays with writing. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any library for the DPT-RP1 that I could utilize for that kind of functionality, so little can be done to improve the responsiveness. If you are seeing missing lines, that would imply that touch events are being lost in some manner, or aren't being reported quickly enough to MobileSheets in order for it to generate a smooth drawing. That's also an issue with the hardware or OS implementation.

Mike

EDIT:
Looking at this https://github.com/DPT-RP1/dpt-canvas, some users have found ways to get better performance on the DPT-RP1 but it requires a different implementation and handling of invalidation and touch events, so it's not something I can easily integrate.
(05-14-2022, 07:57 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: E-Ink devices have much slower refresh rates due to the way the screen works. So what you are seeing is the normal behavior of the device without specialized optimizations. The reason the annotations work faster on BOOX devices is because Onyx has a developer library that lets developers access something they call "Raw drawing mode" where it turns off the screen refresh and flips pixels when the stylus touches the screen, making it seem like writing is happening without any delay. I imagine Sony must internally use a similar approach if their own software doesn't have delays with writing. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any library for the DPT-RP1 that I could utilize for that kind of functionality, so little can be done to improve the responsiveness. If you are seeing missing lines, that would imply that touch events are being lost in some manner, or aren't being reported quickly enough to MobileSheets in order for it to generate a smooth drawing. That's also an issue with the hardware or OS implementation.

Mike

EDIT:
Looking at this https://github.com/DPT-RP1/dpt-canvas, some users have found ways to get better performance on the DPT-RP1 but it requires a different implementation and handling of invalidation and touch events, so it's not something I can easily integrate.

Thank you, Mike, for your detailed explanation! So, as often, things are not as easy as they look at first glance...  Confused
Hi Guys,
I am using MobileSheets on my Tolino Vision5.
There is no "back" button. So there I can't find an option to quit the App?
Maybe it would be an option to have a menu entry to exit?

Regards,
Stephan
Sure, I can look into adding that option. It already exists in the Windows version as there isn't the same concept of a back button on Windows. Does the the Tolino Vision 5 have a home button at least? I imagine you have to be able to get back to the main OS screen in some way...

Mike
Hi Mike,
sounds good. No, there is no home-button on the Tolino Vision 5.
If I imagine right, in the tolino app you can just swipe up to get to the home screen.
But that doesn't work in mobilesheets.

Regards,
Stephan
I'm surprised that swiping up does not work as that's supposed to be a global thing on that device it seems (from what I was reading). I definitely see why you need the exit option if that gesture does not work though.

Mike
Can these e-ink devices scroll the score or is the refresh rate to slow for that?
You probably can't scroll the page continuously, as that's either going to cause the screen to flash a lot or ghosting depending on the screen refresh mode you've selected. Scrolling with your finger is fine, or you could have the automatic scroll feature turn 30% of the page at a time using instantaneous scrolling, which avoids the issue.

Mike
On my Lumi2 I use actually continuous scrolling.
Yes, there is goasting, but after using the feature for a while, I hardly notice it anymore, and it is not really distracting.
As a member of a bigband, I use MobileSheets indoor and outdoor under various and sometimes difficult light.
I am 80+ and my sight is not the best, so, after many years of using a Samsung 12.x inch tablet, I recently
changed to th Lumi2. I am very happy with this decision and believe it is the best choice currently.
I have a new Feature-Request for E-Ink devices:

First of all a question. Should be create a new topic for such requests, or is it okay for you, if we post them here in this thread?

Last weekends I used mobilesheets on my small eink device very much. And it is really working fine.
But there is one point:

The library scrolling is a bit crappy with the slow display. Would it be possible to scroll with the buttons?
It would be cool to do it like "page up" / "page down".