• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Persistent Filters vs. Clears Filters After Load
I have tons of Xmas songs which I never want to see unless it's the Xmas season.  I've set up a persistent filter to exclude them. 
Another feature in settings is "CLEARS FILTERS AFTER LOAD" which automatically clears the current filters if a song or setlist is loaded. This is a nice feature except that it also clears my persistent filter.  For example: If I use this feature and then search for all songs with the word "after", for example, and then load one of those selected songs it also clears my persistent filter and now I see -all- my songs including my Xmas songs.  It should be able to retain the persistent filter.
That's not how the filters work or how the filter persistance is set up. It doesn't lock in filters that you can't clear. It just saves them between loading the application. Otherwise there would be no way for you to remove filters that were persistent. You can save the persistent filters as a named filter, and then just tap the load icon to load your filters back if they are cleared. So you may want to do that instead of clearing the filters after loading if that is critical for you. What you are describing would be an entirely new setting that would be something like, "Reload persistent filters after returning to library screen" or something of that nature. If enough people want it, I can consider adding that, but the layering of all the settings may make it even more confusing to understand the behavior in all situations.

Mike
Could you put the Xmas songs into a separate collection and remove them from their current collections?
(This assumes you are using the collections tab rather than Songs)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(04-16-2019, 06:20 AM)Zuberman Wrote: That's not how the filters work or how the filter persistance is set up. It doesn't lock in filters that you can't clear. It just saves them between loading the application. Otherwise there would be no way for you to remove filters that were persistent. You can save the persistent filters as a named filter, and then just tap the load icon to load your filters back if they are cleared. So you may want to do that instead of clearing the filters after loading if that is critical for you. What you are describing would be an entirely new setting that would be something like, "Reload persistent filters after returning to library screen" or something of that nature. If enough people want it, I can consider adding that, but the layering of all the settings may make it even more confusing to understand the behavior in all situations.

Mike

I guess I didn't understand.  (There is nothing in the User Manual that really describes this process.)  In my humble opinion a persistent (or "named") filter should remain in effect between and -within- any session of MS.   Only the user should be allowed to replace or remove the named filter.  For example, if I set up a named filter to exclude a collection of all my Christmas songs, no other setting, search, or filter removal should be allowed to negate it; for instance, no matter what else I do, I don't ever want to see "Jingle Bells" in July.  I have multiple "named" filters for playing with different groups at different times of the year.
The setting says, "Automatically Load Last Used Filters at Startup". If I change that behavior to make it automatically reload those filters if they are cleared by loading a song with "Clear Filters After Load" enabled, that would be unintuitive behavior based on the wording of the current setting. Nowhere in the setting does it mention keeping the filter persistent between loading songs.  So I would either need to change the current setting or add a different setting to control that. 

If I did add support for what you are describing, what should happen when you tap the "X" to clear the filters? Should it reset to the last loaded filter or actually clear them? If it resets to the last loaded filter, how do you actually clear that filter if you wanted to set up a different filter? It would be impossible without manually going and changing each individual field, correct? That seems pretty tedious. 

Thanks,
Mike